Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting reversing radar

Hal Mercier

I reckon this has to be a good move, as my reversing is definitely not as good as my forwarding.....or frontwarding, for the picky.

I reckon I'm in good company though, the great '60s Lotus Grand-Prix driver Jim Clark was the King of the Circuit, but fairly random as a normal everyday road driver....apparently having problems parking, or remembering simple directions, on one occasion being unable to decide between going right or left at a Y junction which was very near the family farm in Scotland, to the point that he ended up taking neither, and ending up in a hedge instead.

I was obliged to fit a kit on my LWB Citroen Jumper van, and it's incredibly good value, as they are almost free on the interweb.

It may seem absurd on something the size of an Aygo, but better safe than embarrassed I say.

I seem to have 3 spare kits so might as well use one. I'll make sure the two outer emitters point slightly outwards to give wider coverage.

I'll take some pics of the process.....anyone know how the rear plastic bumper piece is removed? I'm guessing the two elegant pole-dancer's fingernail panels on the corners pop out to reveal bolt heads?

Or am I wrong?

DSC01094.JPG

I hope you are talking about ultrasonic sensors (2, 3 or 4) and not radar strips. I have fitted 4 ultra sonic sensors in our Aygo almost 8 years ago and it was easy. You do not need to take out the bumper. You can slide your hand under and behind the plastic bumper and feel for the right spot to drill. Use masking tape to mark a horizontal line and marking four equally spaced points/cross on that tape, drill 4 holes over the tape for the4  sensors.  Use a metal wire to pull the sensor wires after mounting. Then there is a hole with rubber bung in the spare tyre wheel well. You can pull the wires that way (making a hole in the bung) and connect the rest of the module wire etc to reverse light wire.

Here is the link. I had posted a long thread on that with the photos.

Thanks, that's really handy, I didn't fancy removing the bumper! Ultrasonic....not radar.

have you thought of a reversing camera

here is one i fitted on a 14 plate i bought

the camera is under the bumper and as you can see

through the windscreen in the video it is dark

2014-07-20 21.02.39.jpg

9 hours ago, eygo said:

have you thought of a reversing camera

here is one i fitted on a 14 plate i bought

the camera is under the bumper

The camera idea is good but is it too low do you think (I know it is difficult to choose a correct spot in Aygo), since it might get dirty very quickly due to its nearness to the road surface. Not to mention the splashes during rain. I would have thought that a camera attached to the upper edge of the number plate would be more appropriate from the dust and rain point of view. It would also mean removing the number plate temporarily to drill a small hole behind the plate to pull the camera wires. Your position avoids drilling hole.

i didnt want to drill a hole in the car as we bought it brand new in 2014

i fitted it in march 14 and used it up to december 14 with no issues

the car had been driven through the dry dusty months as well

as some wet months , in my own car when it rains i always need to give the

camera lens a wipe and mine is above the number plate so there

isnt an ideal place, during the daytime the image from the camera i fitted

is crystal clear and sharp and at night the image was still really good as you can see.

Thank you Eygo, that is a good news for all aspirants since it makes the installation easier.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links