Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering buying used Avensis

sturose

Hi, I have owned a Japanese import Toyota Estima for about 10 years. I've just suffered the dreaded cylinder head failure, car is 25 years old though.

Due to the reliability of Toyotas I am now looking at another and I do like the Avensis. It seems a lot of car for not too much money. I prefer large cars so this one, considering how spacious they appear would be perfect.

I always research first though, the model that I am looking at is a 2006 2.0 D-4D T3-X. Are these as reliable as most other Toyotas? Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I go to view it (Known faults etc)?

I know a lot of taxi drivers have used these cars, presumably because of either reliability or economy as they do seem quite good on fuel for such a large car based on stats.

Any other tips or bits of advice would be helpful. 

Thanks

The diesel engine is not the best choice for mostly round the doors short trips,  they like to have a  few medium and long runs. Keep on top of the basic maintenance and they should be solid.  Your basic maintenance would include a periodic clean of the EGR valve,  potentially messy but not hard, or have your garage handle it. Check carefully for potential cylinder head problems before you buy, or see if the service records show that Toyota did the engine rebuild work.

• Like 1

OK thanks.

Mostly I drive within a 10 mile radius of my home but do go on the occasional run out around 30-40 miles.

I prefer diesels these days because of the running costs but I haven't fully decided yet because I don't do so many distance runs anymore. I know that most diesels need a good run from time to time.

Cylinder head problems? Is that a common fault with these as well? I chose the Estima knowing about the potential for cylinder head failure and it turned out to be an awesome gamble. Best 10 years of motoring I had for £850. I may consider looking at petrol models anyway but for bigger cars the running costs do go up with petrol versions. I just depends if repair/maintenance costs will offset that.

PS. Are you the same @paul9 from teoc?

Not sure what teoc is, but I've been on quite a few car, bike, games and tech forums as paul9. That one doesn't ring a bell, though. Not really sure if the cylinder head gasket issue was the two litre, the two point two or both, to be honest, but there was a problem and a warranty fix extension from Toyota. My 07 was an ex taxi for £800 and has been great. Currently on about 157000 miles.

If it was Toyota Estima Owner's Club,  then it wasn't me.  🙂 I had a loan of my uncle's one time and it was OK, but I went heavy on the fuel. Maybe my foot was a tiny bit heavy on the throttle, lol.

1 hour ago, paul9 said:

If it was Toyota Estima Owner's Club,  then it wasn't me.  🙂 I had a loan of my uncle's one time and it was OK, but I went heavy on the fuel. Maybe my foot was a tiny bit heavy on the throttle, lol.

Yes that's the one. I'm sure there was a paul9 on teoc. Oh well. I had my estima for 10 years and had no problems. Running it on 50/50 derv and veg oil for most of the time, the fuel costs didn't worry me. Obviously I know I can't do that in newer cars! 😀

Mine runs fine on pure veg oil, not tried used oil, though. BUT it can be a pig to start in the morning, even on fifty fifty. And forget about it in the winter months.