Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving through deep water in Hybrid?

davekench

With a lot of rain forcast lately has anyone any suggestions how to negiciate flooding roads and I do not mean silly deep just several inches. Being as if you drive through slowly the engine is not running, so there could be the chance of water going into the exhaust system.

Dave

Dave if it’s in danger of going up the exhaust then avoid driving through it, whether you’re driving a normal petrol/diesel car or a hybrid.

• Like 1

Go through quick! Engine will run, so no issues.

Many river/stream fords around here, so it could happen without heavy rains.

Mick.

I go slowly through floods . You may not know how deep they are and if the water reaches the centres of the wheels, the engine belts will become wet, and spray water over everything.. - and possibly slip.(been there last year in our Jazz: lower radiator aperture covered in leaves..

Cars are NOT watertight and water entry through the floor can do serious damage to cars where the makers place key electronics (Audi)..

Some of our local lanes have a stream at the bottom which floods.. and you can have no idea of the depth.. 

Rather safe than stuck in water..(seen that too)  . and dry out brakes afterwards as they will be wet and will not work properly.. (seen the results of that too)

The modern advice is better to avoid water deeper than the bottom of the bottom of the brake discs. The sensors for the abs could be damaged when immersed in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for all your info, the water was just below hub centres, and touch wood everything seems ok.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links