Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine cutting out - no faults detected?

Betney

Hello,

I have a 03 Toyota Yaris (petrol) and I have owned it for 3 years - never had any issues with it. 

In the summer of last year the engine suddenly started cutting out as I was driving it. The airbag symbol would appear on the dash first for a few seconds and then the other dash lights would follow.  Would have to restart the engine 3 times and then it would run fine again until 1 day it wouldn’t restart and I had to call recovery. Recovery couldn’t read any faults but when they cleared the ‘fault codes’ (although none showed up) the car would run for a few minutes. Ended up getting towed - garage had it running in the yard for the full day the next day and couldn’t find any issues with it. Suggested it may be due to being sat in the sun all day so try and avoid this if possible.

Since then it has ran absolutely fine and hasn’t cut out at all until 2 weeks ago when it decided to cut out on the motorway. Exactly the same thing where the airbag symbol appears first followed by the other dash lights. It won’t restart until the 3rd attempt and then it will continue to run to get me to my destination with no problems. This is now happening every time I drive it. My partner suggested that I purposefully stall the car to see what lights appear and when I did this the Battery light comes up followed by other lights - the airbag symbol doesn’t show up at all so I’m not sure whether this has significance?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? I don’t really want to be spending big money on getting sensors/ parts changed for it to then not resolve the issue and have to spend even more or get a new car (I’m a student nurse so money is limited). 

any advice/ suggestions would be appreciated. 

" the engine suddenly started cutting out as I was driving it. The airbag symbol would appear on the dash first for a few seconds and then the other dash lights would follow"

The sudden cut out suggests an electrical problem. (Fuel starvation would give hiccups).

First start by checking all earth leads from Battery to engine and to  body .Remove, clean up, replace. Ditto Battery terminals..

Then wait and see what happens..