Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking sensor malfunction warning

HectorG

Once or twice a week at the moment I get a message on the info display on my PHV that the parking sensors aren’t working. This is solved by a quick wizz around with a cloth to clean them. I appreciate that the weather in the UK is dreadful at the moment, but I have never had this problem with my previous cars. I have to admit that all but one of my previous cars with parking sensors have been 4x4 types and therefore higher off the ground. However, I find it difficult to believe the sensors should be so susceptible to dirt (my sensors have been far from covered in mud when I get the warning message) and I wonder if I have a problem with one or more of them being damaged by eg,water ingress, or they’re a bit over sensitive. 

It’s very irritating and the other day I forgot they were not working and drove into a parking barrier in a car park! Fortunately at very low speed and no damage done. Anyone else had similar issues on the current model PHV?

No problems at all with mine. They have only been cleaned on the rare occasion that the car has been washed

It sounds like a fault that needs to be fixed under warranty. 

This has happened to mine twice.  I do not regard it as a fault.  Over a year ago in the winter we had sleet and ice.  The car was parked in a street in Birmingham and was covered in snow.  The sensors all round had frozen snow over them and a warning came up of proximity sensors not available.  They were fine after I cleared the snow off. 

I go to work along a country lane which floods and is very muddy.  Last week the car asked me to clean the sensors.

15 hours ago, mysecondavensis said:

This has happened to mine twice.  I do not regard it as a fault.  Over a year ago in the winter we had sleet and ice.  The car was parked in a street in Birmingham and was covered in snow.  The sensors all round had frozen snow over them and a warning came up of proximity sensors not available.  They were fine after I cleared the snow off. 

I go to work along a country lane which floods and is very muddy.  Last week the car asked me to clean the sensors.

You may be right. I live in a village serviced by a narrow country lane which is very muddy at the moment. However, in the time I’ve lived here I’ve owned 2 Subaru Foresters (2nd gen & 4th gen), a Freelander, a RAV4 (previous gen) and this has never occurred before. But it may be occurring now because the Prius is so much lower. It’s very irritating even so.

It's a more intelligent system, technology progresses and becomes more integrated

keep some quick detailer and few cloths in the boot - problem solved

Not had the problem with my current RAV4, nor my last Gen 4 Prius (same height as your car).  The Gen 3 Prius I had before that had the issue once or twice, but it went away after the car went through a hand car wash where they use pressure jets.

HectorG, My apologies, I was so quick to comment that I overlooked how often you were having the problem.  That is so frequent I would think it must be a malfunction of the system and would definitely want MrT to check it.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to it.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, PeteB said:

Not had the problem with my current RAV4, nor my last Gen 4 Prius (same height as your car).  The Gen 3 Prius I had before that had the issue once or twice, but it went away after the car went through a hand car wash where they use pressure jets.

A few years ago a reversing sensor failed on a VW California I had at the time. The dealer asked if I used a pressure washer when cleaning it and, when I confirmed that I did, they conveniently blamed that for the sensor failure.

1 hour ago, HectorG said:

A few years ago a reversing sensor failed on a VW California I had at the time. The dealer asked if I used a pressure washer when cleaning it and, when I confirmed that I did, they conveniently blamed that for the sensor failure.

Would be interesting if my Toyota dealer tried that!  They use a pressure washer when they valet the car.