Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Corolla Audio Problem

2003 Corolla

Hi Folks,

My front two Speakers have stopped working. I checked behind the (front) door cards and took the head unit out a few inches and checked the wires. No problems there.

Sometimes, rarely, when I'm driving they come back on for a few seconds and stop again. So there's obviously a loose wire. 

Any tips pls?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Seems unlikely the wires to both Speakers have failed at the same time and if you are happy their wires and plug to the head unit are ok, it sounds like a fault in the head unit itself.

You do not mention the head unit display going off and on, so you could discount the power lines,

Would seem to be a problem in the output stage or the plug and socket to the Speakers ?

You can find such used head units  cheaply on eBay or the Audio /For Sale section in this forum where folk have replaced theirs for a more modern unit, probalbly cheaper than having yours repaired, if anyone would look at it ..?

000028.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to get a new head unit and find out that the problem is elsewhere. It really seams to me like there's a loose wire but just can't pinpoint it. 

Hi,

Better if you could say how the fault developed ?

Did both Speakers suddenly go off together , just the other day, or have they been loosing sound now and then for some time, either one speaker at a time or both together ?

What about the head unit, when the sound goes off, what does the display show, still a normal screen with a normal station and  volume number  displayed or does it go off when the Speakers loose sound ?

To test the wiring you need to use a multimeter connected between the disconnected speaker plug thats at the back of the head unit and  to the actual speaker terminals, once the meter is connected then wiggle all parts of the wiring you can get hold of and see if the Resistance changes.  Also move the door as where the wires goes across is a common failure point, thouhg unlikely to happen at the same time on both doors,   Repeat on all four wires to the Speakers

If thats not something you can do most auto electricians or anyone whos handy with their own multimeter should be able to help.

000041.jpg

I went around a fast corner and they disconnected at the same time. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links