Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pearl white paint peeling

Badpaintjob

My pearl white 2010 Prius paint is separating from the primer coat. Peeling off like crazy. Anybody else have this problem ?  So far the dealer is disinterested. It looks terrible. 

4 hours ago, Badpaintjob said:

My pearl white 2010 Prius paint is separating from the primer coat. Peeling off like crazy. Anybody else have this problem ?  So far the dealer is disinterested. It looks terrible. 

This is the first time I have read of this issue on a Auris but seems very common on Pearl White IQs. I think there are quite  a few posts on this forun re Pearl white paint and the IQ peeling badly

Split into new topic.

There have been cases of pearl white paint on early IQ's peeling, but this is the first report I've seen for any other models. Toyota GB have provided help with this issue for some owners of IQ's under goodwill

Your profile indicates you aren't in the UK, so would advise contacting your Toyota importer (ie. Toyota Ireland, Toyota France, etc). Be aware that with a 10 year old car, the issue isn't covered under any warranty, but the importer may agree a goodwlll contribution or similar.

Have you had it from new and has it been repaired at any time ?

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes. My 2010 Prius has slowly been losing paint for about 4 years. Dealer said, "sorry, out of warranty" numerous times.  Both front A-pillars, above the windshield and random spots all around. Every time I wash it, the spots get bigger. Happens here in Canada too!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kmstreaker said:

Oh yes. My 2010 Prius has slowly been losing paint for about 4 years. Dealer said, "sorry, out of warranty" numerous times.  Both front A-pillars, above the windshield and random spots all around. Every time I wash it, the spots get bigger. Happens here in Canada too!

Rather than just rely on the dealer's opinion, you need to contact your importer, Toyota Canada. See https://driving.ca/toyota/auto-news/news/new-toyota-program-will-help-owners-of-white-cars-with-peeling-paint

White Prius - same problem - even though there's a HUGE recall on pearl white, Toyota is not covering the Prius model.  Just quotes "out of warranty".  BTW - they're covering back to 2009 on the other models and over 2 million are affected.

It is down to the individual importer as to how they handle the issue and which models they cover.

Here in the UK, the problem has mainly affected early IQs. Recalls are for safety related issues, which this isn't. Toyota GB have previously covered the paint issues on some IQs under 'goodwill'.

The Prius is currently not of the list of "affected vehicles".  I'm wondering if that is due to it being the only one that is still produced in Japan where as all others are built in North America from what I can tell. Doesnt make sense to me though. Same primer, same 070 pearl white paint and same outcome. The prius should be included. I will be seeing my dealer this coming week to lodge a formal complaint. Will contact Toyota Canada as well. 

As stated, in the UK it has been the IQ which has been mainly affected - built in Japan. Again as stated, it is down to your importer to decide which models they will deal with as regards this issue, so your best port of call would be Toyota Canada.

Interesting that the IQ built in Japan is included. Maybe not enough Prius owners have voiced their displeasure with the paint problems on their vehicles. We need to voice our dissatisfaction in order to be heard!

• Like 1

BTW - am in the US - have seen this problem on multiple white Prius vehicles!  This SHOULD be part of the recall.  Always loved Toyota before but definitely questioning them right now.

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

• Sad 2

In the UK, the affected IQ's had a partial or full respray.  The US/Canada recall information I've seen, doesn't say what Toyota US/Canada intend doing.

I remember back a good few year that some manufacturers red cars faded like mad after a few years. What did manufacturers do about that. The vehicles looked terrible, still see faded red cars on the roads today.

• Like 1

Normal red paint (with no clearcoat) will fade if neglected. It's not a defect, just oxidation from exposure to the elements. Wax and sealant for car paint exists for a reason - if you expect car bodywork to be maintenance-free, you're in for a bad time :)

• Like 2

Its a used car - so sold as seen (in the USA) - its 10 years old the main dealers will do nothing about as there not obligated to do so

The only way you will get this sort is if you had a third party warranty - Have a watch of Lahtos Law (Steve Lehto) on youtube, he is based out of Michigan and specializes in lemon law and most things automotive - he also wrote the lemon law bible among other books

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Its a used car - so sold as seen (in the USA) - its 10 years old the main dealers will do nothing about as there not obligated to do so

The only way you will get this sort is if you had a third party warranty

In the UK, Toyota GB have resprayed IQ's, either partially or fully, when they have been well outside both the new car warranty and the paint warranty and have done this as goodwill. 

Examples: 

4 hours ago, QuantumFireball said:

Normal red paint (with no clearcoat) will fade if neglected. It's not a defect, just oxidation from exposure to the elements. Wax and sealant for car paint exists for a reason - if you expect car bodywork to be maintenance-free, you're in for a bad time 🙂

My red  20 yo Corolla is lacquered  and the lacquer is peeling off:-

The bonnet was resprayed about 5 years previously, at the time of posting the original paint lacquer was ok, but strangely there are now patches all over the near horizontal surfaces, roof etc, of the car, where the lacquer is peeling off, although not as badly as the bonnet.

I'm told that it's due to ultraviolet light, and it all started a couple of years ago when we had a lot of sun in the spring/early summer.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:45 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Split into new topic.

There have been cases of pearl white paint on early IQ's peeling, but this is the first report I've seen for any other models. Toyota GB have provided help with this issue for some owners of IQ's under goodwill

Frosty, as you understand it, is this a problem with Pearlescent, Metallic or plain paint, as I am thinking of buying a white Pearl car?

It is the one colour - Pearl White (pearlescent). I've only heard about early IQ's being affected in the UK.

• Thanks 1

The first Prius I test drove was Pearlescent White, looked great. Didnt buy it though.

Please post if anyone hears about anything being offered by Toyota USA on the Prius paint problem - whether goodwill or extended warranty on the paint (the latter is the approach they took on the other affected models). Still not sure how they can leave this model out - it was purchased new in 2010 and has the same paint problem in the same time period as all the others they're covering - but for some reason they've chosen to exclude it.  Maybe it was so popular the cost to include it would be prohibitive - don't know - I'm just guessing here.  All I know is they're not making friends with this approach.

BTW - this is the link to the article with the info on the extended warranty they're offering:

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/toyota-extends-warranty-peeling-white-blizzard-pearl-camry-4runner-corolla-avalon-scion-lexus-gx-details-here#comment-88798

I am thinking of lettering my Prius with the words "Toyota says no paint problem with Prius" and letting the paint job speak for itself. I'm sure that would get somebodies attention!  Unite Prius owners and be heard!

• Like 1

Robert, have you contacted Toyota in the country you are in.  I don’t mean a dealer, I mean the Toyota importer.