Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine not starting

Gc01

LOL

yes i was just making it simple, there's miles more chemistry to batteries and some quackery to chargers most so called sealed batteries are easily accessed most are vented to release the build up of gasses and expansion, sulfation is a big cause of Battery death, repeated deep cycling doesn't help

TBH if the Battery is 8 yrs old, I would change it. Even If its still ok, it won't be very soon and will let you down.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, flash22 said:

LOL

yes i was just making it simple, there's miles more chemistry to batteries and some quackery to chargers most so called sealed batteries are easily accessed most are vented to release the build up of gasses and expansion, sulfation is a big cause of battery death, repeated deep cycling doesn't help

Ok I didn't mean to be smartass. I didn't know sealed Battery could be filled! Hopefully OP will find the solution to his problem.

So I tried starting it after it got fully charged. The video here is me starting it after a few times, if anyone can give me a lead that would be appreciated. I'm thinking its fuel pump or somewhere in the electrics it isn't getting power but the dashboard has gone funny.

The Battery is dead from what I hear.

It could be the starter. Easy way to figure it out is if you can start the car by pushing it and engaging a speed after you catch some speed (you need help).

https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/toyota/1.8L/how-to-test-the-fuel-injectors-1

Yeah it was nearly dead because I tried turning the key quite a number of times and it not starting.

12 minutes ago, Gc01 said:

Yeah it was nearly dead because I tried turning the key quite a number of times and it not starting.

I'd try this:

https://m.wikihow.com/Push-Start-a-Car

You can also check if the plug spark. Personally, as a saturday mechanic, I'd just bring the car to a mechanic if you cannot push start it. Maybe check if you get a spark on the plug but fuel injection issue don't sound very fun to troubleshoot by yourself. You don't want to damage a fuel line.

By the sound, the battery's done. It doesn't take the power to drop very much for the engine to struggle to start, a good Battery will turn the engine for quite a time before showing signs on fading. There was also no sign of the engine 'catching' at all although the Battery appears to be on its last legs, the engine appears to be missing spark or fuel. These are easily checked if you know, if you don't know how, you will need help. Maybe look for a local mobile mechanic, it shouldn't be too expensive to diagnose the problem as the engine is turning over quite well, even on a weak Battery, as I said before its either spark or fuel.

Low voltage and current will cause the coils not to energise fully = weak spark, low voltage <8-9v when cranking will cause the ecu to crap out as well as the fuel pump to slow reducing flow and pressure

Replace the Battery - get it to run - check voltage from the alternator

But then again I'm just Surmising

I agree with the others, it needs a new Battery.  Put a new one in.  I doubt there's anything else wrong. 

The reason its sounds low is because I turned the Key quite a few times before and it wasnt starting. I was just recording my final attempt I'll record another when the Battery is fully charged.

You seem to be very against replacing the Battery. I wouldn't like to say it's the most common problem with starting issues, but its very common. As its 8 years old, i'm surprised its still able to hold any charge, even for short time. The most common time when a Battery finally dies is when the weather gets near freezing. I suspect the next serious frost will kill it.

Let's just say funds are difficult to acquire and I can't exactly remember when the Battery was changed it might've been 8 years ago but it might've been closer so about 5ish years ago I got the car off my dad. Also it's a RAC premium surely that should count for something. Im a 17 year old kid, and I used my old summer job to scrap up insurance money which is expensive

1 hour ago, Gc01 said:

Let's just say funds are difficult to acquire and I can't exactly remember when the battery was changed it might've been 8 years ago but it might've been closer so about 5ish years ago I got the car off my dad. Also it's a RAC premium surely that should count for something. Im a 17 year old kid, and I used my old summer job to scrap up insurance money which is expensive

If you have access to another car you can easily jump start the vehicle:

https://m.wikihow.com/Jumpstart-a-Vehicle

This should isolate the Battery from the problem. Next push with your father the car and try to start it up. Make sure you'll be able to get the car back where it is even if it's still not working with the strength of your legs.

I have previously tried to jump it and it still would not start 

Even a 5 year old Battery may be pushing it, but if you have tried to jump start and it turned over quickly and easily then its probably something else. Spark and fuel, they are both required and if one or both are missing, no start. Look on Youtube for vids that show you how to check for spark at the spark plugs, if they are sparking, put em back in, be careful not to cross thread the plug holes. Find the fuel feed to the engine, undo the connection, put the end in a container, turn the engine over on the starter and see if fuel is coming through. If you have both then its a job for someone who knows how to wield a spanner. Unfortunately cars sometimes fail and cost some money to repair, it goes with the territory of using cars. At seventeen you are going to be one of two types, those that learn and fix or those that don't learn and pay mechanics to fix.

You can get a cost effective Battery for £20-30 look out for deals on ecp and the like, as i said before try draining the acid/water from the Battery and replace it with deionized water and slowly charge it - its a cheap fix

4 hours ago, scannerman said:

Even a 5 year old battery may be pushing it, but if you have tried to jump start and it turned over quickly and easily then its probably something else. Spark and fuel, they are both required and if one or both are missing, no start. Look on Youtube for vids that show you how to check for spark at the spark plugs, if they are sparking, put em back in, be careful not to cross thread the plug holes. Find the fuel feed to the engine, undo the connection, put the end in a container, turn the engine over on the starter and see if fuel is coming through. If you have both then its a job for someone who knows how to wield a spanner. Unfortunately cars sometimes fail and cost some money to repair, it goes with the territory of using cars. At seventeen you are going to be one of two types, those that learn and fix or those that don't learn and pay mechanics to fix.

At 17 I've helped my dad and brother fix up their cars so I have some experience under my belt. It's just this car has never had any problems so it's annoying unfortunately, if I had an income I wouldn't be adamant on keeping the Battery but I'm in college and it doesn't pay unfortunately. Correction no idea why it's not starting.

I'll do so on Sunday coz then I'll have the space and a couple other people to help

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

You can get a cost effective battery for £20-30 look out for deals on ecp and the like, as i said before try draining the acid/water from the battery and replace it with deionized water and slowly charge it - its a cheap fix

Chemistry not your strong point flash22? I doubt very much if draining the liquid from a Battery and re-filling it with water would do anything to re-rejuvenate it. However, what would I know?

By adding distilled or deionized water to a low or partly drained Battery you are rebalancing the electrolyte (sulphuric acid and pure water) by increasing the hydrogen and oxygen

old batteries 'stratify' with the dilute acid rising to the top and the more concentrate at the bottom that raises the open circuit voltage make the Battery look like its fully charged when its not, (usual sign if sub 8-9v when under load) with the stronger acid at the bottom it causes the lead plates to sulfate

simply laying the Battery on its sides for few hours (then laying it on its other for a few more) may balance the electrolyte again

I have revived a few batteries this way over the years, its better than them old battery tablets or old wives' tale of alka-seltzer

I Know nothing...................

Edit. iirc the Americans refer to it as watering

• Confused 1

Im really lost though because I don't know what caused to the leap into life before. I'll clean the terminals tomorrow and leave it to charge and see if that does anything.

16 hours ago, Gc01 said:

Im really lost though because I don't know what caused to the leap into life before. I'll clean the terminals tomorrow and leave it to charge and see if that does anything.

Dude you jumped the car which means that you used another car healthy Battery to power your car's starter. I think you should change the Battery because it's old but at this point, if you properly jumped the car and it didn't start, I'd assume the issue is something else (the starter).

On 2/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, mooder said:

Dude you jumped the car which means that you used another car healthy battery to power your car's starter. I think you should change the battery because it's old but at this point, if you properly jumped the car and it didn't start, I'd assume the issue is something else (the starter).

If the alternator is not charging as soon as you disconnect the other power it will die or shortly after

The car is more than likely flooded now, so it needs to be flood cleared - foot flat to the floor on the gas and crank it - this disables the injectors to clear the cylinders

it wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and inspect them either - i expect there be sooted and/or wet

• Like 1