Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rear wiper seized

scudo

Its actually loose but the nut that holds it on has seized and the wiper just flops down, I am wary of forcing it in case the rear screen cracks.

I have oiled and wd40 the seized nut to no avail.

I am thinking my next option would be to try and access internally from the rear screen if I can grip something internally I can put more pressure on the external nut, how does the cover come off that shrouds the internal parts?  Is it just a push fit as there are no screws.

Nip the nut up then crack it loose if you are changing the arm why not do the wiper mod

If the arm is bad just cut the arm off - the collar seizes on the shaft and cracks the plastic arm

wd40 is useless for this type of thing try some plus gas or GT85

• Like 1

I had a similar incident where the rear wiper arm just flopped down wards. The outer most nut was easy to remove with correct spanner and the wiper arm was then easy to just pull out but the brass collar remained glued to the shaft due to rust and age. The brass collar had glued it self fast to the shaft and dislodged itself  from the plastic arm (bad glue to start with?). Before changing to a new arm, how to get that brass collar out from the shaft? The new arm came with its own brass collar attached. I had to take a dremmel tool and saw the collar at one place and then spread it out till it dislodged from the shaft. You can use a hack saw too but don't hit the rear window glass pane.

• Like 1

rajivrattna.........It is the outer most nut that is currently the issue, I have the correct size spanner but cant budge it which is why I am thinking if I can access the internal bits I may be able to `counter` leverage when trying to loosen the external nut.

I have dremmel and other tools if needed but a step at a time.

Leverage is the key if you're using a spanner hook another in the end to extend it if you don't have a breaker bar, removing anything from the inside will not help as the motor is on rubber mounts it  is also bushed through the glass -  Righty tighty, Lefty loosey 😉 🙂

• Like 1

flash22.........You appear to know the schematics of the wiper unit,so, if I use a breaker bar (I have 24") while the wiper unit is in place is this likely to crack the rear window seeing as how as you say it is tightly bushed,  I can use more force/leverage but my fear is the rear window.

One other thing I have not yet tried but have used for tight crosshead screws is using the hammer action on a cordless drill, that has worked a few times for me.

if you have enough room use a nut splitter then with

a screwdriver pry the split in the nut apart to make removal easy

then replace the nut probably an M8

• Like 1

I doubt it as long as you don't push too hard inwards and keep the force rotational i have done a few cars with the spindle through the glass

Its hard to judge peoples ability on a forum, its mainly common sense

there is a minor taper on the collar and shaft, these are a press fit the nut just secures it to the shaft, the shaft is free floating

if you are that worried use a nut splitter, but then again that has its own risks

edit. https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/aygo-38483/kgb10-56113/kgb10l-ahmrkw-919792/rear-wiper-17856573

• Like 1

eygo  / flash22    Thanks for your helpful advice.

Normally I am ok with stuff like this, I have replaced big ends / cam chains etc in a motorbike just using a haynes manual never having done it before.  Its just being through the glass that has made me step back a bit.

I will give another go tomorrow then look at splitting it if that fails, I have checked eBay and can get a replacement arm/blade for £7 and I have a tub of various sized nuts.

12 hours ago, scudo said:

rajivrattna.........It is the outer most nut that is currently the issue, I have the correct size spanner but cant budge it which is why I am thinking if I can access the internal bits I may be able to `counter` leverage when trying to loosen the external nut.

I have dremmel and other tools if needed but a step at a time.

Sorry, I seem to have misread the problem. I am surprised that soaking the damn thing in WD 40 for a few days did not help.

• Like 1

This guy promises that it works every time but make sure you cover all other area around the nut with old rag so that the acetone does not come in contact with paint etc. I have never tried it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cElDM06Mk3c

• Like 1

Had another attempt this morning, nut still wouldn't budge so I split the nut and now got the wiper off.

So will fit a new arm/blade and issue resolved.

Thanks again for all the replies to this.

When you put it back on give it a light smear of anti seize (coppaslip)

• Like 1

Will do, I have a small tub of it.  I think mine is called copperease.