Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cracks causing water leak into boot

Gazmac

Help

I’ve been having issues with my Yaris 1.8SR (2008). I bought the car from a local car garage about two months ago and I love it but every time it rains the boot gets wet I’ve been on the forum before and first thought it could be the rear light gaskets I got the part number and they been replaced but still no joy, then I thought it might be the electrical loom seal but water was getting in behind both lights. Now I’ve looked higher and there are cracks on both sides just in each top corner letting in water.

does anyone know if these can be fixed (ideally by not just smearing silicone over them)

Does the dealer have any responsibility to fix them.

cheers Gaz.

23EFE579-DDB3-45DB-B1B4-3B757516BF16.jpeg

446E20BB-CBAA-4D99-AFF9-ACA56DF53CE7.jpeg

451D8E6B-AAE8-4628-8EC0-F211F2064196.jpeg

Well Gaz if you bought from a reputable garage, it cannot do any harm to ask them to fix the leak for free. 

I’ll pop and see them next week, does anyone know if it is a big job to repair?

The stuff to fix this is "Captain Tolleys Crack Sealer". It is a boating product that is a thin milky liquid that seeps into the crack with capillary action and sets rock hard and seals the leaks. You keep applying it until no more disappears into the crack and it is done. I used it on my Avensis that had cracks in the boot guttering and it worked  a treat, also used it on boats to seal cracks. Magic product.

Its the seam sealer, to do it properly dig it out, dry it out and re seal it, a quick job would to paint over it with seam sealer

it looks like the water is higher up above that joint, as you can the water marks i would dust that area with talc/baby powder and see what trails the water makes

is that the arch or the corner ?, it may have had a bit of damage repaired in the past

The photos are with the boot open looking into the roof gulley, in both corners the first two photos are the top right corner, I think this is the worst as the crack disappears under the roof gulley rubber. The last photo is of the left hand corner. I’ll try and take better pictures in the daylight.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links