Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Verso D4D engine white smoke breakdown

WoodlandVerso

Hello,

Looking for advice on our 2009 Verso following a sudden breakdown!
Ours has the 2.0 D4D engine, the car has done 86,000 miles and been regularly serviced at 10k intervals.

The car was driving fine and with no problems whatsoever up until the point where there was a sudden loss of power with a huge amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, I also heard some rattling coming from the engine (but this could have been due to the excessive smoke)... at that point I recall a "check TCV" warning light coming on in the centre dash digital console and the engine was holding at around 2,000rpm with my foot off the throttle. At this point I had coasted into a layby (lucky me) and I switched off the engine.

I opened the bonnet and all looked normal... no coolant loss, no oil loss and no oil or coolant contamination, all levels were fine.
I let it rest for a while and tried to start the engine but had no luck.

It sounds like it has compression on turnover - there aren't any graunching noises whilst its being turned over. Looking through the oil filler hole the cam can be seen to be turning.

A friend tried plugging in his Snap-On tester to see if any fault codes had been registered but unfortunately it was unable to connect to the Toyota software.... but the generic test came up with "no issues found".

I don't really want to take things apart without any clues as to what the fault could be!
Any thoughts?

Clutching at straws here! Could it be a Suction Control Valve fault??

Lots of short journeys ?

D-Cat, DPF engines - The 5th injectors are common issue with these engines if its full open it drops the fuel pressure engine will not start or if it does it will belch white smoke

A Denso 5th injector is around £60

I don think his car had a dpf with 2009? 

Is it easy to find out if it has a 5th injector? Where would I need to look and what am I looking for?
The car is used for short and long journeys... the breakdown happened on a long journey.
Thanks

I removed the suction control valve today... both rubber seals are fine, cleaned it with brake cleaner, put it back together and tried to start the engine... still not starting or even attempting to fire.
There aren't any numbers written on the suction control valve.

What to do next??

Taken the Verso to the Toyota garage and their diagnosis is that the injectors are at fault... all four of them.

Sorry i never see your replys

did they do a leak down test as its rare for all 4 to fail at the same time

I'm not sure if they did a leak test?.... they said they were in the open position.
I certainly imagine it was more than one at fault because it wasn't just a small amount of smoke... literally couldn't see the road behind me when it happened!

It starts & drives faultlessly since the injectors were replaced and at the £1600 bill I'm glad they changed the engine oil & filter as a courtesy. They also washed the car for me.

Can't fault Toyota customer service but we can't afford to use them too often!

Cheers

I had the same problem last year. Garage replace 1 fuel injector then a week later had a breakdown again and this time the remaining 3 injectors were replaced. I think it is recommended all of them replaced at the same time. I learned the hard way!