Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unable to open a dead iQ

Mincey

Hello my fellow iQ owners! Well, I'm not actually an iQ owner, I've just inherited a problem with someone else's. 

The 60 plate iQ in question belonged to my parents. They did about 15 miles each year, so the Battery was always going flat. Green Flag set up an office next door because they were called out so often to jump start it. The car wasn't to blame, it was just lack of use. Fast forward several years and I bought it off them for my step son. It was as dead as a dodo at the time, so using the key blade from the fob, I opened the door, popped the hood and replaced the Battery. My step son drove it happily with no issues for several months then moved to London. The car was returned to my parents driveway where it has sat for at least 18 months doing diddly squat. My other step son now wants it, so yesterday I went out to check on the Battery. Knowing it would be flat, I went to open the car with the key blade, and there was nothing. No resistance, no mechanical clunking movement as before. The car refuses to let me in.

I sought advice on another car forum and the suggestion to connect a battery charger to the starter solenoid was given. I can't get to this or the alternator from underneath or through the wheelarch. I've  tried spraying some silicone spray into the lock, and leaving it for half an hour to see if that freed anything up, but to no avail. I can't see how to break into the bonnet, the boot or the passenger door (cheers Toyota for providing only one lock on the car!) so I'm now stuck for ideas, short of calling someone out. I'm a cheapskate and would much rather do it myself though. I've seen an airbag and wedge kit on Amazon which videos on YouTube have shown me used to break into a car. Before I go down this route, I wondered if any of you kind souls had any suggestions please?

Bad news , just had a flat Battery myself. Just to say , I had a similar experience, no door clunk etc but I did open it with a firm second try.

Hold the blade firmly with pliers and give it a good twist before calling someone out.

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

cheers Toyota for providing only one lock on the car!

Common for manufacturers to provide only one accessible lock on the driver's side - our 2007 Mazda 2, 2012 and 2015 i20's were/are the same.

It's a jammed lock spray plenty of gt85 in the lock you may need a pair of pliers to turn it, if it wasn't deadlocked you may be able to slip the door with a pump wedge and a slim jim (lock out kit)

failing that, work out what the cheapest piece of glass is to replace - have to hand and tape up the window and put the window through ~ pin punch in the corner or use a cheap emergency break glass hammer

eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-IQ-Passenger-Side-Door-Window-Glass-2010/184056860610?hash=item2adaa4cfc2:g:4hAAAOSwveNd3oAb

before you even try to start it drain the tank and put fresh fuel in

Thanks everyone - I've left it for a day with a generous amount of WD40 sprayed into the lock. I'll give the key another go when it has warmed up a bit in case the overnight frost doesn't help. I don't know if it was deadlocked when it was left, chances are it was, but before any glass gets broken I will get a professional out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, Solidtop said:

Hold the blade firmly with pliers and give it a good twist before calling someone out.

This did the trick, only done by someone with more experience (and balls!) than me. The iQ lives! I've put a new Battery in and it's working like a charm now. Thanks everyone for your input.

Or was it a case of, they didn't give a monkeys, brute force and ignorance

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Or was it a case of, they didn't give a monkeys, brute force and ignorance

I'd like to think it was brute force and expertise :-) The main thing is it's all working now and will actually get some use instead of sitting on the driveway gathering moss.