Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T25 avensis electrical issues

SeanP84

I have a 2004 avensis. 2.0i petrol d4-d

I noticed my headlights were dim, then started pulsing. After which my Battery died. I replaced it with a new one. A week later the Battery warning light comes on. I think ok, it all adds up now, my alternator must have died.

So I've just replaced that with a brand new item. Straight swap. Everything went In easy, new belt. The electrical connection  (4pins) was Oreintated the other way round on the new alternator but still the right connector.

Now, when I start the car up I have no power to the dash, stereo wipers etc. All dead but the car runs fine and still does not report 14v at the Battery terminals.

I have some lamps illuminated on the dash when ignition is on;

Doors open (they are)

Handbrake on (it is)

ABSlight 

MIL  light. 

With engine running it's all good. No issues. But still no power to anything!

Just handbrake and ABS before driving away.

What's gone wrong? Why no power, why nothing in the dash. 

Headlights work though! 

Help!

hi!

you can first check the all the fuse in the fusebox under the dash.

i got similar problem with mine no speedometer, no charge from alternator, abs-vsc- trc light on and it was a due to a blown fuse in the fusebox under the dashboard.

5 hours ago, diez974 said:

hi!

you can first check the all the fuse in the fusebox under the dash.

i got similar problem with mine no speedometer, no charge from alternator, abs-vsc- trc light on and it was a due to a blown fuse in the fusebox under the dashboard.

Thanks for the input. Which fuse did you change? I pulled out each fuse one by one and they all looked fine. I checked all the fuses behind glove box. Is there more behind the dash on the drivers side?

I'm going to return the alternator this week but I'm not 100% convinced that's faulty, it is new after all. 

9 hours ago, SeanP84 said:

I have a 2004 avensis. 2.0i petrol d4-d

I noticed my headlights were dim, then started pulsing. After which my battery died. I replaced it with a new one. A week later the battery warning light comes on. I think ok, it all adds up now, my alternator must have died.

So I've just replaced that with a brand new item. Straight swap. Everything went In easy, new belt. The electrical connection  (4pins) was Oreintated the other way round on the new alternator but still the right connector.

Now, when I start the car up I have no power to the dash, stereo wipers etc. All dead but the car runs fine and still does not report 14v at the battery terminals.

I have some lamps illuminated on the dash when ignition is on;

Doors open (they are)

Handbrake on (it is)

ABSlight 

MIL  light. 

With engine running it's all good. No issues. But still no power to anything!

Just handbrake and ABS before driving away.

What's gone wrong? Why no power, why nothing in the dash. 

Headlights work though! 

Help!

Just spit balling here but defo try the big 50amp fuses in fuse boxes👍

Just spitballing here but check ur 50amp big fuses in both fuse boxes👌

1 hour ago, SeanP84 said:

I'm going to return the alternator this week but I'm not 100% convinced that's faulty, it is new after all. 

Changed alternator on a Polo a few months ago, and the new one smoked and died a minute or two after restarting. Luckily we still had the bonnet open and saw the puff of smoke, otherwise we would have had a worse time diagnosing. That was a reconditioned part from Eurocarparts. A scrapyard alternator went in afterwards and is still fine.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, Als68 said:

Just spitballing here but check ur 50amp big fuses in both fuse boxes👌

I think I've found the issue.

Checked the 120amp mega fuse in the engine bay and it has blown. So I'll reassemble and report back. Had to order from eBay though. No local places stocked the fuse.