Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dealer service prices

RollaCorolla

I bought an old Corolla recently - it's in good nick and the previous owner looked after it well. He had been servicing it at a Toyota dealer since new so I thought I'd just get it fully checked out and serviced at Yeomans Toyota in Worthing. They've done a filter and oil change but also quoted me on the following:

New front discs and pads £255

Rear washer not working £166

Rear silencer corroded £255

These prices seem steep but what you'd expect from I dealer I guess. I've been abroad for many years and just returned to the UK so I don't know where else I could get comparative quotes from. I found National Tyres and Autocare who do brakes and exhausts but I'm not sure if they are any good?

Can anyone here help me with suggestions?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Yes, Toyota prices are top dollar , and their spare part prices for some items can be unbeliveable, so its often worth getting good quality parts  from other well known sources.

Expect you could half those prices at any of the big name "high street" places like you mention plus places like Halfords, though as it seems you are not a diyer, might be worth seeking out a local general garage who should offer simlar lower prices, but who you can get to know better and hopefully rely on them for future service work ? 

All those jobs are just standard bread and butter work to them, if requested you can often ask what brand of part the intend to use and in some cases you could even have a choice, though that could affect the price of the job.

For cars over 5 years old, Toyota offer their "5 Star Club".  This is free to join and entitles you to 20% off servicing.  I'm not sure what this would do to those prices, but there would be no harm in asking about that scheme.  I haven't used it.

22 minutes ago, Gerg said:

For cars over 5 years old, Toyota offer their "5 Star Club"

The 5+ Club gives 20% off the cost of servicing and MOT's. One can register at https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

I'd guess that their labour charge-out rate is £100-120/hr. A decent independent will charge 50-70% of that, plus use pattern parts. Ask around and see who get recommended locally.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Note they say "rear silencer corroded", NOT leaking!  I suppose it could be physically damaged but I would have thought that they would have said, consequently as it is stainless, then I would leave it and see if it passes the MOT next time.  My Corolla has done 150,000 miles and there has not been any problems with the exhaust even though the rear silencer is corroded!

As oldcodger said, I would get a local independent garage to do the repairs, as they could be half the price of those quoted, ask friends and work colleagues, etc.