Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catastorphie

Roadrunner1986

Hello all. Needing some help. A fuel filter and Battery light came up on the dash today, I thought it was a dpf light and was all set to give it a blast down the motorway to regen it, however with further research as I was waiting for my Mothers departure from hospital I discovered it was the fuel filter light and it apparently needs drained of water (thinking it was an automatic system) anyway I start the car up and bring it round to pick up Mum. We stopped as she needed a few things and I wanted to check the access to drain fuel filter (none) I turn the key and it's dead. My wife came out to give me a jump, it fires up but I get 300 yards down the road and the dash goes dark the rev counter and speedo die I have warning lights etc etc. I get a further half mile down the road and loss of power (like fuel starvation) but continues to drive (I thought limp mode) then eventually it dies on me. Not turning over or nothing. I have no idea where to begin and it's park at the side of the road. Any idea's what has happened? It's a 2008 Avensis T180. Any insight would be appreciated thanks. 

Sounds like it could be the alternator that has failed. The 'water in fuel' light on these is often a red herring caused by low electrical system voltage due to a dead or dying alternator. That fits with the Battery light coming on as it is a sign that the Battery isn't charging, ie due to an alternator fault. To move the car in the meantime either take the Battery off and charge it at home or swap the battery temporarily with a charged one from another car. It will very likely need a replacement alternator. 

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks. Defo puts me at ease. Just need to worry about moving the damn thing now. 😂

Another cold snap, its more than likely the Battery, alternators tend to go this weather as well due too increased load

Electronics dont like low voltages, they tend to throw a fit

• Like 1

Two easy options, go to your local car parts shop, and ask if they can check ur alternator out, (should be free check) 👌or run ur car and disconnect the negative lead on ur Battery,, if ur car dies straight away, then it's a faulty alternator👍good luck

• Thanks 1

In the past, it was not recommended that the alternator be disconnected whilst the engine was running, and I've always managed to avoid doing it.  Unless alternator design has changed, or we were all being misled, I'd go for doing something with the Battery, along the lines of Nick (Yossarian)'s suggestions

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

In the past, it was not recommended that the alternator be disconnected whilst the engine was running, and I've always managed to avoid doing it.  Unless alternator design has changed, or we were all being misled, I'd go for doing something with the battery, along the lines of Nick (Yossarian)'s suggestions

I agree with you, I've always believed the same but dont know the mech science behind it, besides als68 stated...if the car does straight away...does that mean if it continues to run it means the alternator is fine...my question is how long will it continue to run before it stops and would this damage a good alternator ?

• Like 1

Modern alternators are ecu controlled so removing the ground/negative may cause other issues, the positive lead sometimes has a current sensor on it too

In the words of James May - It's got plenty of fuel, It's just run out of electricity

Stick a new Battery on it, and drive it with no loads on, turn everything off

• Like 1

Hello all and thanks for the replys/suggestions. Managed to get it to a garage.