Sign in to follow this  
kms

How bad is grease coming from ball joints

I'm looking at buying a 2010 Auris.  I was poking around and found that, on both sides, the ball joints and tie-rod ends are leaking grease. I've attached a photo of one of the ball joints.

IMG_20200119_084310_527.jpg

It's strange that both sides are doing the same thing, and it's both the ball joints and the tie-rod ends.  I've never seen this before.  All the joints seem to be solid and don't rattle at all. I've never seen such symmetry before.

Is this somehow a defect in the Auris?

Should I not worry about this?

Thanks for your opinions.

That does not look like grease to me.

They could have replaced both ball joints at the same time, and used Oil when trying to install new one, did not clean up, and it accumulated dirt.

I doubt the grease will drip, even with temperatures in +40 its still solid.

Not really a reason to worry, worst case you replace them both, it's a cheap part, but as you said, there's no movement so should be fine.

You right. It doesn't look like grease.  I asked her if she had work done on the car and she said no, so it was the only alternative I could think of.

It is difficult to be sure without standing next to it, but there seem to be some age cracks in part of the rubber boot (arrows).  If the boot has aged where shown, then maybe there are cracks that have penetrated the boot (which the highlighted ones don't seem to have) where you cant see, and that has allowed it to leak.  Your dry and dusty environment has made it very visible.  In the UK, the brake dust shield in your picture would look a right state after 10 years of our weather.

Untitled.thumb.png.3aed2b0581c87310b11077d98b9dc1e1.png

The grease that is inside the boot will be some sort of lithium-based grease, which will have Oil in it.  With time the Oil can separate out of the grease.  In some ways the lithium part of the grease could be likened to a sponge, holding the Oil part in the place where it's needed.

The castellated locknut seems to have been in place for a long time, I don't think this has been disturbed for a while.

This is 100% grease and it is absolutely normal for Auris, We have two Auris, one is 2010 with 136000 miles and the other is 2012 with 60k miles., they are exactly the same and both have it. Until there is a play in bolt joints or tie rods there is nothing to worry about it. Even don’t need to clean, just keep an eye for eventually a play in the future, might not happen anytime soon though. 
Regards