Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Research

Dp_uk

Hello lovely Auris owners.

I'm here to do a bit of research on the Auris, as imm looking to replace my car soon.

The petrol/hybrid 1.8 icon tech hatchback has got my attention. So would like to hear good/bad feedback from owners please. Also things to look out for when buying.

I am particularly interested in the mpg, as I need Avery economical car to drive 20k plus a year.

I'm told the Battery changes to engine at about 21 mph is this true ?

Thanks in advance

Dave (UK)

The hybrid engineering is rock solid. You will find it a very relaxing car to drive. I had, and now the wife has it, a 2010 Auris Hybrid. The main components will be the same in a newer Auris. You will get better mpg in the summer then the winter, maybe 7-10 mpg less in the winter. This is because the computer will keep the engine running or maintain its warmth, plus you have cab heater, demister, heated rear window non more in the winter. Wife’s Auris does about 62mpg summer, 54 winter.          
A hybrid is a compromise, it has the benefit you don’t have to worry about plug in like you do with all electric. Electric cars have no engine but heavy Battery. Hybrid has a heavy engine, plus a big Battery not weighing as much as a full electric, but cannot go as far as a big Battery electric only vehicle.  Hence you heard a Auris hybrid will not do a great distance on battery only. And yes, around 21mph the engine kicks in, but just think that as long as you have enough charge in the hybrid battery you can go a longish way under 21mph ie town driving, queues etc. What you do find that you can be travelling at up to say 55Mph and with the right conditions, be travelling on hybrid battery power.  Personally I don’t find high speed Mway driving (national speed limits) very conducive to good mpg, but it’s relative. I would think 55 maybe a bit more mpg. I don’t use cruise control on a Mway, I can ease more mpg by me controlling the right foot.             
Easy relaxed driving...... yes. The CVT gearbox cant really be compared to any other auto box, and it is well engineered. Driving the Auris hybrid is easy as a computer does all the thinking re hybrid battery/engine use, and you can barely feel the change between engine and battery drive and back again.          
Best move I did, and until battery cars can go longer before charges, and there are more charging stations available, hybrid is the way to go IMO.

• Like 6

Good summary from Catlover there.

Main issue I've encountered so far is the glitchy media system - sporadic crashes, navigation positioning sometimes wrong but corrects itself after a few minutes, some problems with bluetooth (especially SMS) and it seems generally rather slow. Interface and options definitely have room for improvement too.

Oh, and the small issue of catalytic converter thefts, where the Auris is a major target - I very grudgingly coughed up £250 for a 'Catloc' in the hope that it will be enough of a deterrent, but obvs no guarantees...

Aside from that, a bit of noise from the suspension but generally all good. Must say there's a bit too much body roll when cornering, but I believe that may have been improved as part of the 2015 facelift / refresh (and is maybe less of an issue with the HB than the TS anyway? dunno...). Obviously the key is to get a good test drive or two and make sure you're happy with the dynamics, powertrain etc... suits some folk more than others. I tried it and a Skoda Octavia in close succession, and despite being not dissimilar in size, they feel completely different. The Octavia felt lighter and more nimble to me - didn't really feel as big as it is. I would say the Auris (hybrid estate) feels every bit as big and heavy as it is, but gives a more relaxing drive and I like how solid it feels. Just more suited to crusing than haring around in a hurry (especially when hills are involved!). The whole car seems to encourage you to drive economically and I suspect to a fair extent it's deliberately engineered that way.

Of course a lot of that is subjective, so give it a whirl and see what you think. As for stuff to look out for, Honest John is usually a good starting point for that:

Good & bad:  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/auris-2013/good/

Long term test (estate in this case): https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/toyota-auris-touring-sports/the-final-auris-reckoning/

HTH.

• Thanks 1

I have just bought one, a pre facelift 2015 touring sports in Islane Blue in Icon plus. Now on 26,101 miles!

I have to say I like it. Some trips have read 62mpg on runs to Brum and 58mpg average on the trip display screen and on the energy monitor says best 52mpg! So not sure which to believe.

The cvt is a bit noisy at high revs in the power band but you get used to it! Acceleration Is adequate and watching your mpg and feathering the throttle to put it into EV mode is addictive. Mine goes in up to 40 mph. The silent running when in EV is nice.

Seats are comfortable. Satnav seems to work fine and like the reverse camera.

My old phone wasn't found by bluetooth. Do you need to use a USB cable? I switched Blutooth on phone and thought it finds it, but didn't. Mine is a basic Doro 6520 phone. What phones are compatible?

Bought eBay floor mats for £12 and load boot protector. Bought a cat cover off eBay for £28 and had it reinforced with 2 steel bars welded on the 2 edges to make it a bit harder to cut. cost £20 and £18 labour to install.

James.

Toyota 1.png

toyota 2.png

Toyota 3.png

Toyota4.png

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Auris James said:

My old phone wasn't found by Bluetooth. Do you need to use a USB cable? I switched Blutooth on phone and thought it finds it, but didn't. Mine is a basic Doro 6520 phone. What phones are compatible?

When you enable bluetooth, you need to make your phone visible for other to see, if you want to pair it. Making it visible is not the same as just enabling bluetooth, it's a different button, usualy somewhere in the settings/bluetooth menu, and enabling it only works for 2 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Auris James said:

I have just bought one, a pre facelift 2015 touring sports in Islane Blue in Icon plus. Now on 26,101 miles!

I have to say I like it. Some trips have read 62mpg on runs to Brum and 58mpg average on the trip display screen and on the energy monitor says best 52mpg! So not sure which to believe.

The cvt is a bit noisy at high revs in the power band but you get used to it! Acceleration Is adequate and watching your mpg and feathering the throttle to put it into EV mode is addictive. Mine goes in up to 40 mph. The silent running when in EV is nice.

Seats are comfortable. Satnav seems to work fine and like the reverse camera.

My old phone wasn't found by Bluetooth. Do you need to use a USB cable? I switched Blutooth on phone and thought it finds it, but didn't. Mine is a basic Doro 6520 phone. What phones are compatible?

Bought ebay floor mats for £12 and load boot protector. Bought a cat cover off ebay for £28 and had it reinforced with 2 steel bars welded on the 2 edges to make it a bit harder to cut. cost £20 and £18 labour to install.

James.

Toyota 1.png

toyota 2.png

Toyota 3.png

Toyota4.png

Most bluetooth devices should pair, unless there is a compatibility issue or interference with the signal, the phone should pair. I went to the Doro website - https://www.doro.com/en-gb/shop/mobile-devices/easy-phones/doro-6520/ and checked the specs. bluetooth is version 2.1+EDR so should work with voice calls. Sometimes the phone firmware may need updating. Also there is a compatibility list that you can check - https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/my-toyota/bluetooth-compatibility
Doro is not a popular phone like Nokia, iPhone, Samsung, Sony, etc.   

• Thanks 1

I love the colour of blue James, looks really nice on the Auris, and the Yaris.           
And that was a useful review for others to read too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the phone instructions. I have made the phone visible and will try it and look at your links which is exactly what I need. Its making calls and receiving them I'm most interested in.

When I went to my local dealer there were a lot of white, grey and silver Auris in stock but not many estates in my price range. I had my car transported from Toyota Basingstoke and have to say liked the colour and car, so bought it. I have had 2 old Volvos in silver and fancied a change. I think the colour suits the car.

Had a slight issue in that the bonnet didn't pop up after pressing/pulling the button. Tried twice. Tried lifting and it was unlocked and so checked the oil/ coolant levels and all good. closed the bonnet and the bonnet wasn't fully gripped. You could move the bonnet upwards 5mm.

Took it back to Toyota and they fixed it under warranty. Have to say I liked the video they sent, of what they had done and safety inspection.

Toyota also noticed my cat cover, which since fitting has started to rattle against exhaust.

Toyota said a lot cheaper than their own and a very wise precaution. Took it to the garage who fitted the cover and they did a few adjustments and now silent!

Many thanks. James:thumbsup:

On 1/24/2020 at 10:03 PM, Auris James said:

When I went to my local dealer there were a lot of white, grey and silver Auris in stock but not many estates in my price range. I had my car transported from Toyota Basingstoke and have to say liked the colour and car, so bought it. I have had 2 old Volvos in silver and fancied a change. I think the colour suits the car.

It really does - good choice there! 😀  Personally I think this model of Auris is very much underrated looks-wise (especially by a lot of the motoring press who seem beloved of all things German, even though the likes of the Golf are as dull as it gets, IMHO).

My bonnet catch has always been tricky, but not in the same way - it pops up fine when I pull the lever under the dash, but then it can be difficult to release the catch under the bonnet - sometimes takes several goes. I've kept meaning to look at it, but haven't got round to it (not like I have to go under there very often).

Glad you're enjoying the car, and it sounds like you've quickly got into the swing of hybrid driving and keeping that little green EV light on as much as possible. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, CurranShelter said:

Oh, and the small issue of catalytic converter thefts, where the Auris is a major target - I very grudgingly coughed up £250 for a 'Catloc' in the hope that it will be enough of a deterrent, but obvs no guarantees...

Regarding catalyst thefts, our next car may well be an Auris Touring hybrid and I think the first thing I will do is remove the 'hybrid' badging from the back to make it less obvious what it is! Not sure how effective that will be though. I suppose all they'd have to do is look inside and see the gear selector..

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

all they'd have to do is look inside and see the gear selector..

The gear selector itself has a surprisingly small thread, so if you wanted to replace it with a 'conventional' one, you'd have to make up an adapter.  But that still leaves the gear lever surround and the 'power/economy' gauge as tell-tales.  As you might've guessed, I've considered doing that one.

And the adhesive on the badges (after the Badge has come off) is much easier to remove with isopropanol, rather than, say, WD40.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

Regarding catalyst thefts, our next car may well be an Auris Touring hybrid and I think the first thing I will do is remove the 'hybrid' badging from the back to make it less obvious what it is! Not sure how effective that will be though. I suppose all they'd have to do is look inside and see the gear selector..

The "Blue" front grille Badge forms part of the adaptive cruise and cannot be removed. So you would always have a blue Badge on the front grille 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

I also thought about de badging it, but the thief would probably look under anyway and still steal it. As you say probably other ways to identify it as a hybrid.

9 hours ago, CurranShelter said:

It really does - good choice there! 😀  Personally I think this model of Auris is very much underrated looks-wise (especially by a lot of the motoring press who seem beloved of all things German, even though the likes of the Golf are as dull as it gets, IMHO).

My bonnet catch has always been tricky, but not in the same way - it pops up fine when I pull the lever under the dash, but then it can be difficult to release the catch under the bonnet - sometimes takes several goes. I've kept meaning to look at it, but haven't got round to it (not like I have to go under there very often).

Glad you're enjoying the car, and it sounds like you've quickly got into the swing of hybrid driving and keeping that little green EV light on as much as possible. 👍

Thanks. Reviews always compare to the Germans for some reason! My friend has an old 06 reg golf and always needed work for MOT. Recently turbo blew at 130k and now sold it as couldn't afford the repair.

I have to say the only things I like on the facelift is the shark fin ariel and stitching above glovebox to radio.

3 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

Auris has adaptive cruise?

I thought it wasn't available on an Auris. Only on new corolla etc. certainly no mention of it in the Excel trim spec.

Thanks to the forum advice paired my phone by bluetooth, so now have phone.

James.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:43 AM, Auris James said:

I have just bought one, a pre facelift 2015 touring. 

Is yours still (just) under the Toyota 5yr warranty? 

6 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Is yours still (just) under the Toyota 5yr warranty? 

Yes it would till April 2020 but it came with a 1 year warranty as standard, under the Toyota used approved. I paid for a further 2 years warranty, making it covered for 3 years. 

James.

1 hour ago, Auris James said:

I have to say the only things I like on the facelift is the shark fin ariel and stitching above glovebox to radio.

Yes, I think the pre-facelift is the better looking one overall, from the front in particular - looks sharper and almost feline somehow. Both versions of the TS have a nice side profile I would say.

Inside, there are some improvements in the facelift version (details like the one you mention, and perhaps a bit neater overall), but I much prefer the seat trim and the brushed metal effect handles and push-button radio controls that we have in ours rather than the shiny (fingerprint-magnet) gloss black plastic and touch controls in the newer version. Just a shame the pre-facelift didn't come with a spare tyre, but hey, we're spared the weight and gain a bit of storage space so it's not all bad.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CurranShelter said:

Yes, I think the pre-facelift is the better looking one overall, from the front in particular - looks sharper and almost feline somehow. Both versions of the TS have a nice side profile I would say.

Inside, there are some improvements in the facelift version (details like the one you mention, and perhaps a bit neater overall), but I much prefer the seat trim and the brushed metal effect handles and push-button radio controls that we have in ours rather than the shiny (fingerprint-magnet) gloss black plastic and touch controls in the newer version. Just a shame the pre-facelift didn't come with a spare tyre, but hey, we're spared the weight and gain a bit of storage space so it's not all bad.

I liked my seats too as black but with the white brick like design, preferred them to the seats with the indented pattern in lines. Breaks up the all black. can you buy a spare wheel and rear undertray hardware to fit it? Would be ideal if so. In the 21 years of motoring only had one puncture that I re-inflated. Only when home realised/found a screw through it! Probably get loads now!

Also found the electric lumber adjustment button and seat heating works! The heated seats I use on my 1996 Volvo 940.

What are the alloys called? I'm not overly keen as quite a purist as like silver but the dark colour hides the brake dust!

Auto folding/opening mirrors would of been great on the fob. Like my scrapped Lexus IS 220D, need to open/close manually by the button.

James.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:43 AM, Auris James said:

Toyota 1.png

toyota 2.png

Toyota 3.png

Toyota4.png

I have an Icon exactly the same colour that I've had for coming up to 2 years now and has been faultless.

It's a very relaxing drive fuel consumption varies massively depending on usage. I've been up to Scotland from Sheffield and averaged just under 70mpg in the summer but my wife now uses it for her dog walking business and in hilly Sheffield in winter she's getting around 40mpg. The figures are accurate as I have kept a spreadsheet of mileage and fuel usage for years as she has her own business. (Better than my SLK which returns 22mpg!!!)

There isn't a great deal I don't like about the car to be fair although the Icon is a bit basic but it was a good deal.  Mileage on mine is 28,500 oh and Mr T's customer service is second to none if you have it serviced there.

I'd make sure you get one with full service history or failing that at least the hybrid Battery checks.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Auris James said:

Yes it would till April 2020 but it came with a 1 year warranty as standard

There are some niggling problems that some owners have reported, and they are easy to put right if your warranty is still running.  I think they were fixed in the face lift model.  There are Toyota TSBs for all these apart from the camera and the water leak.

Here is a list off the top of my head, with their dealer solutions:-

The headlight beam pattern is too narrow, such that when, say, turning into side roads, these are not illuminated properly on the inside of the turn - new are headlamps supplied for this.

The steering column produces an annoying click when at the extremes of the rack travel - new steering column.  Not an MoT issue.

The drivers seat clicks when braking or accelerating, this is dependent on where you have set the seat height adjustment - new seat base.

When in use, the electric seat heater turns off thermostatically (so, normal), then stays off for ages before it automatically cycles back on (not normal, thermostat hysteresis?) - new foam seat base and heating element (thermostat is inside).

The reverse camera, after a certain age, is prone to letting in water (this dries out eventually, but leaves water mark on lens), especially if the car is jet-washed - new camera.

The plastic membrane behind the door card (on any door) sometimes lifts away from its mastic sealant, potentially allowing rainwater to enter the cabin from the door bottom.  

I suspect you already know about most of these.  They are threads for all of them on this forum.

HTH

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

Auris has adaptive cruise?

No, but most newer models have, I was answering the question "When i get the new model" 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Auris James said:

I liked my seats too as black but with the white brick like design, preferred them to the seats with the indented pattern in lines. Breaks up the all black. can you buy a spare wheel and rear undertray hardware to fit it? Would be ideal if so. In the 21 years of motoring only had one puncture that I re-inflated. Only when home realised/found a screw through it! Probably get loads now!

Also found the electric lumber adjustment button and seat heating works! The heated seats I use on my 1996 Volvo 940.

What are the alloys called? I'm not overly keen as quite a purist as like silver but the dark colour hides the brake dust!

Auto folding/opening mirrors would of been great on the fob. Like my scrapped Lexus IS 220D, need to open/close manually by the button.

James.

Yes, I think there might be an official spare wheel kit offered as an aftermarket accessory, but they're always pricey so I decided to chance it and hope for the best... I reserve the right to regret that decision later. 😅

I do like the heated seats. I used to think it was a bit of a frippery that I could well live without (and after all, nobody likes Betty Swollocks) but have found myself using the heating a lot on cold winter mornings and wouldn't go back now! What I want to see next though is heated steering wheels, as I have dodgy circulation in my hands and winter mornings are a bit of an ordeal. I was surprised to find that even a modest Corsa comes with a heated steering wheel so am hoping Toyota will follow suit (haven't checked the Corolla specs as yet).

Funnily enough I wasn't at all keen on the alloys to begin with, but to my surprise the design has really grown on me. Not sure what they're called though.

As for the mirrors, I actually quite like having manual control, so I only fold them when I think it prudent (less wear & tear on the mech? I might be over-thinking it!) but also I have had occasion to fold them on the go whilst driving (carefully!) through a very narrow passageway between buildings - not sure if you could achieve that on models that fold automatically upon locking.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CurranShelter said:

On balance I'd take a facelift Excel, mainly for the LED headlights. plus ride is more settled at low speeds on later cars. The fingerprint magnet piano black fully touch infotainment is a usability step back from the older unit though. Big fisher price buttons are the future!

• Like 2

I love mine,  I can see how some might not, lack of steering feel, throttle response etc, but if you don't want to tear around with the BMW loonies it's fine.  I'm seeing best economy on motorway 60 to 70, loses a bit over that. Best tankfull did 67mpg, worst, 54mpg, depends on temperature and average length of journey. Your comment on the bonnet catch was interesting as it's the first thing I noticed, being the most appalling designed piece of floppy tat. It helps to get loads of grease round the slidy bits. The main dealer has ignored this and many other details including wheel nut torque so dealer service counts for nowt, you need to be proactive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies

I Bought a 2016 Auris hybrid today business edition.

Since researching the car, it's come to light about cat converters being stolen.

How rife is it ?

If I choose to invest in some sort of security device. What should I go for and where do I buy from ?