Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 rav4 gearbox trouble

Bill.121

Hi ive been having nig trouble with my mk2 rav4 gearbox, it keeps beaking the clutch plate, the car vibrates seleckting 1st and 2nd and reverse gear, then no gears. I have replaced 3 plates. Please i need help

Breaking, as in breaking in pieces, or what?

How the clutch looks like once it stops working? Any picture?

What did you do with the flywheel when you replaced the plates?

Ok here are the pics, the fly wheel seems to be ok, i'm no machanic but what they've shown and explained seems fine. He feel that the problem is with the transfer box.?

20200123_105806.jpg

20200123_105802.jpg

20200123_105809.jpg

17 hours ago, furtula said:

Breaking, as in breaking in pieces, or what?

How the clutch looks like once it stops working? Any picture?

What did you do with the flywheel when you replaced the plates?

The fly wheel seems fine, they showed me and it looks ok

20200123_105809.jpg

20200123_105806.jpg

20200123_105802.jpg

Is it a Diesel engine? If so they have a dual mass flywheel. The signs of that failing are huge noise and vibration, it will eventually stop you from driving the vehicle

It literally ripped it apart..

What i meant with my question is, did they resurface the flywheel, did they inspect if it was level, no hotspots or anything?

As said above, is your car a diesel?

Yes, its a mk2 d4d, they check to see if its rotating correctly that about it

Hi parts king, the car vibrates in 1st and 2nd gear then while driving nothing, no gears

So you have problem getting it into gear, but once it's in gear, car drives fine?

If you hold the clutch for 5 seconds, is it then possible to go into gear without vibration? Can you move through gears fine when car is off?

Looks to me the issue is more likely with the dual mass flywheel since the clutch is basically ripped apart, and it's purpose is to dampen vibrations.

If it was issue with the gearbox, you would feel it during driving, maybe some seizing, slowing down, bad bearing sound, etc.

Getting into gear was fine just moving off it would vibrate in 1&2 then drive fine and then nothing

To me it looks more like the issue is with dual mass flywheel. It's purpose is to dampen vibration coming from the engine, but looks like it's doing the opposite.

It's an expensive part, there's also an alternative of conversion kit to solid mass flywheel instead, which is cheaper.

I do not know why your mechanic would just install 3 clutch plates when they have been ripped apart without much checking to the actual cause, unless you get a really nice discount, i'd maybe think about some other place.

Thanx for your help, my friend looked it up and said the fly wheel in the mk2 rav4 diesels seem to have that problem, thanx for confirming that for me.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, Parts-King said:

Is it a Diesel engine? If so they have a dual mass flywheel. The signs of that failing are huge noise and vibration, it will eventually stop you from driving the vehicle

Yes. D4d 2.0