Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota UK unable to provide software update for new 2019 Corolla  hybrid.

PACorolla

Wanted to get my 2019 Corolla Hybrid Excel sat nav system software updated as I am experiencing a number of annoying issues.
Booked in to local UK dealer two weeks ago and after they had had it for 2 days they said there was a problem with the Toyota UK server and they could not download the update. They said it was a national Toyota problem and Toyota were unable to tell them when the problem would be resolved!
Have rang the dealer since and they are still unable to get access to the download. They still have no fix date from toyota.

Anyone else experienced this?
Is it really a Toyota problem or dealer problem?
Have you had a dealer update recently?

I've not spoken to my dealership lately, kinda holding off on the most recent update until the android auto retro fit is available as I suspect updates will be required as part of that.

Was this confirmed to be (finally) possible?

3 minutes ago, highlander0681 said:

Was this confirmed to be (finally) possible?

Yes, there are quite a few posts on the topic of android auto/apple carplay and it would be available as a retrofit for a charge.

1 hour ago, bewA said:

Yes, there are quite a few posts on the topic of android auto/apple carplay and it would be available as a retrofit for a charge.

From May 2020 - cost £50 or free when done with a service. See 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Thanks for the link. By a "retro fit kit" should I understand that they will tamper with my dash to replace or add a certain module and not a simple firmware update? (sorry i'm not a native speaker)
I don't very much like the idea or them messing around with the plastics and clips, if it comes to that... 😞

6 minutes ago, highlander0681 said:

Thanks for the link. By a "retro fit kit" should I understand that they will tamper with my dash to replace or add a certain module and not a simple firmware update? (sorry i'm not a native speaker)
I don't very much like the idea or them messing around with the plastics and clips, if it comes to that... 😞

There is no one i'd trust more than a Toyota main dealer to mess with the car 😄

11 minutes ago, highlander0681 said:

Thanks for the link. By a "retro fit kit" should I understand that they will tamper with my dash to replace or add a certain module and not a simple firmware update? (sorry i'm not a native speaker)

Its your choice whether or not to have it done. 

I'm in the process of ordering a new 2020 1.8 Corolla Touring Design, can I assume the car will have the latest update fitted during the build?

I'm expecting a delivery date of some time in April.

Thanks

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I don't think the retro fit is free with a service. I understood the cost to be £120 to have it done as a one-off   -or-   £50 if done during a service.

3 minutes ago, Velvet--Glove said:

I don't think the retro fit is free with a service. I understood the cost to be £120 to have it done as a one-off   -or-   £50 if done during a service.

Sorry, yes

Please don't hijack this topic with costs and availability of Apple car play.

The topic is Toyota UK unable to provide software update for new 2019 Corolla hybrid

I tried to get the 1530 update last week but the dealer said they were waiting for a memory stick as they couldn't download it. They been waiting a month but couldn't get one of those either 

9 hours ago, Jiff said:

I tried to get the 1530 update last week but the dealer said they were waiting for a memory stick as they couldn't download it. They been waiting a month but couldn't get one of those either 

Thanks Jiff

Looks like there could be a Toyota problem.

Disappointing to know they have such a problem and its taking weeks to fix! 

I had the 1530 update done yesterday at Listers in Cheltenham.  Initially my problem had been in getting them to understand that there was an update and what is was supposed to fix (thank you forum posters). According to the technician there is a bulletin out and he used the information to obtain and install the update. If there is a problem with access to the Toyota server they must have got the download ahead of time.

What they couldn't fix was the MyT connected services app. According to the app on my tablet and phone I have to get the garage to enable the vehicle and they have no clue what that means.  It seems pretty daft for Toyota to advertise these services if their technical staff are not being kept abreast of developments. I suspect that in the past the typical Toyota driver has not been too bothered with 'connectivity', but if they are trying to attract a younger audience then blank stares from the service department will send them elsewhere. I really like my Corolla 1.8 Hybrid, but I find the lack of straight forward information about the car from Toyota really irritating. I have downloaded the map update successfully and installed the e-store application, but there are no apps available (when I log on to my account on my PC there are also no apps available). According to my e-store receipt, I have down loaded Coyote as part of the map update, but it doesn't show up in the available apps in the car, whereas in the Yaris loan car from Listers, Coyote is listed. " It's a different system." was the technician's suggestion.

Can anyone explain how MyT gets the information from the car to your app?  Does it require a phone with a permanent data connection to be linked as you drive? It it does, this seems to be a pretty fundamental requirement worthy of statement up front.

Before anyone complains; I don't regard the latter as 'off topic' as the general tone of all postings about the navigation/entertainment system indicates that Toyota is not meeting customer demand.

54 minutes ago, RabButler said:

According to the app on my tablet and phone I have to get the garage to enable the vehicle and they have no clue what that means.  It seems pretty daft for Toyota to advertise these services if their technical staff are not being kept abreast of developments.

I was all set to lambaste my dealer (Steven Eagell, Northampton) but although they were a bit slow to answer my initial email they sorted it out in about two minutes over the phone. At least - My T is working. Apparently though I'm now also signed up to My Lexus :-/

I think My T probably does require an internet connection to send information back to the central hub. I use Macro Droid to enable bluetooth internet hotspotting when my car connects. But My T will do very little until it is connected to the central hub which requires your dealer (or possibly Toyota itself) to link the email address you use when accessing My Toyota to your vehicle.

It's odd because My Toyota always knew what my car was but apparently there's an extra step needed to actually getting the app working. My tentative guess is that there are two hub apps, one for My Toyota and one for the app and those two need to be linked. Maybe.

33 minutes ago, RabButler said:

...Can anyone explain how MyT gets the information from the car to your app?  Does it require a phone with a permanent data connection to be linked as you drive? It it does, this seems to be a pretty fundamental requirement worthy of statement up front...

I am not a Toyota employee, or familiar with exact information from their implementation. But what I am thinking is based on my Software developer experience and what I see from my car and app.

The car connects to internet (and obviously to a Toyota server) through your phone's bluetooth or WiFi. You anyway have it connected for receiving calls, music, etc.

While you are driving, it sends data for the trip either constantly, or somehow at the end of the journey. Or combination of both.

Now here is a tricky part - how the car should know when the journey is over and send its data? Obviously it is not when we stop the car from the button as then the connection to the phone, therefore to the internet is lost...But it manages somehow to send it...It also stores trips that have portions with no phone coverage. So my guess is that on every move to Park from the shifter, the car sends the data for that trip to the server if there is connection. If not, sends it next time when connected.

Then there's probably a logic on the server to wait for disconnection from the car or for lack of further movement in the following XX minutes. If data continues to come from the car, it ignores the parking stop trigger and continues to add to the same trip. If not - then this was the whole trip and it becomes available in MyT app. 

It should be something like this, as I have many times stopped on park without "shutting down" and then continue trip, but the trip was one whole, not cut in two. 

2 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I was all set to lambaste my dealer (Steven Eagell, Northampton) but although they were a bit slow to answer my initial email they sorted it out in about two minutes over the phone. At least - My T is working. Apparently though I'm now also signed up to My Lexus 😕

Have you checked your car to make sure its not morphed into a Lexus😉

2 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

I am not a Toyota employee, or familiar with exact information from their implementation. But what I am thinking is based on my Software developer experience and what I see from my car and app.

The car connects to internet (and obviously to a Toyota server) through your phone's Bluetooth or WiFi. You anyway have it connected for receiving calls, music, etc.

While you are driving, it sends data for the trip either constantly, or somehow at the end of the journey. Or combination of both.

Now here is a tricky part - how the car should know when the journey is over and send its data? Obviously it is not when we stop the car from the button as then the connection to the phone, therefore to the internet is lost...But it manages somehow to send it...It also stores trips that have portions with no phone coverage. So my guess is that on every move to Park from the shifter, the car sends the data for that trip to the server if there is connection. If not, sends it next time when connected.

Then there's probably a logic on the server to wait for disconnection from the car or for lack of further movement in the following XX minutes. If data continues to come from the car, it ignores the parking stop trigger and continues to add to the same trip. If not - then this was the whole trip and it becomes available in MyT app. 

It should be something like this, as I have many times stopped on park without "shutting down" and then continue trip, but the trip was one whole, not cut in two. 

If you go into My T, then settings, there is a vast section under connected services giving details on the data sent and how to power the My T app.

I have only scanned quickly the details, but I gather that data is sent via the onboard connected service, not via your mobile service.  This is the same connectivity that the car uses to report if you have an accident, and therefore how they find you and assist without you having to make an emergency call. The document indicates that once the ignition or power switch is turned off, that is transmitted to My T, and thus the end of the journey is registered. Over the same connected service, Toyota receives all the Geo, acceleration, braking info to power the My T stats. You can switch on Privacy mode using your account on line if you don't want Toyota to receive all this data, but if you do so, My T will show little info including no data on where your car has been parked, and the emergency accident facility won't work.

• Like 1

That is interesting. Then who’s providing the service and who pays for the bandwidth? Thousands cars sending daily trip data is lots of  MBs.

Is it a mobile data service? If so how Toyota managed to make agreements with the mobile operators in all of the countries? Including non-EU ones where we know what are the roaming data prices...

I only use tethering (Bluetooth) with the car and in the last 4 days my car has used 4.48mb data.
That will be a mixture of telemetry data for the car and traffic information, I suspect.
Separately My T has used 4.76mb in 4 days.

Not that I mind, I find it interesting actually :-)

5 hours ago, RabButler said:

What they couldn't fix was the MyT connected services app. According to the app on my tablet and phone I have to get the garage to enable the vehicle and they have no clue what that means.  It seems pretty daft for Toyota to advertise these services if their technical staff are not being kept abreast of developments. I suspect that in the past the typical Toyota driver has not been too bothered with 'connectivity', but if they are trying to attract a younger audience then blank stares from the service department will send them elsewhere. I really like my Corolla 1.8 Hybrid, but I find the lack of straight forward information about the car from Toyota really irritating. I have downloaded the map update successfully and installed the e-store application, but there are no apps available (when I log on to my account on my PC there are also no apps available). According to my e-store receipt, I have down loaded Coyote as part of the map update, but it doesn't show up in the available apps in the car, whereas in the Yaris loan car from Listers, Coyote is listed. " It's a different system." was the technician's suggestion.

Can anyone explain how MyT gets the information from the car to your app?  Does it require a phone with a permanent data connection to be linked as you drive? It it does, this seems to be a pretty fundamental requirement worthy of statement up front.

Before anyone complains; I don't regard the latter as 'off topic' as the general tone of all postings about the navigation/entertainment system indicates that Toyota is not meeting customer demand.

There are no Apps for the later MM17 systems "yet" e-store is a platform to be used for future updates, what they will be only Toyota know and they aren't saying yet.

If you wish you can send me a PM with the email address you registered with MyT and your chassis number and I can link your car to the Connected services

Yes you need to share your phones mobile data via tethering for the car to make a connection, have you added your MyT login details on the cars headunit ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

...Yes you need to share your phones mobile data via tethering for the car to make a connection...

Can you please tell us if this tethering is the way car communicates trip data and location, or it really uses the e-call channels (whatever they are)?

And one more question if you don’t mind.

Why the trip stats in MyT don’t have the EV data everywhere? In UK you have it, but in other EU countries we don’t.

I don't know all the answers:

The E-call module handles the GPS location, it pings the Toyota servers when the car is switched off for the "find my car"

The car needs a tethered data connection for downloading destinations for "send to car"

No idea how trip data is uploaded from the car.

Access and functionality of MyT is handled by Toyota Europe however each operating market decides what functionality will be available to their customers if something is not available it will be a decision your Toyota market has made. Functionality also varies by phone type e.g Android, Apple at present Android has more features than Apple, my Apple phone does not have trip data

• Thanks 1