Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Solarcell roof / Sunpak on Prius PHEV 2017 ?

HSDish

Does anyone know how effective Solarcell roof / Sunpak on Prius PHEV 2017 is ?

How much energy can be saved to the Battery?

How far can you drive (approximate) at energy saved from the solarcellroof?

Im living in Sweden and at my place we have about 3 months 0f +2 C and below., about 4 months with +10 c and below, about 2 months with +10-20 C and just about 3 months with 20 c and warrmer..

The sunny weather for about/average 1 hour a day for 2 months , 2 h/d for 2 months, 3 h/d for 2 month, 5 h/d for 2 months, and 8 h/d for about 4 months

Rain or snow about/average 1mm a day for 2months, 2mm/d for 5 months and for about 3mm/d for 5 moths.

1 hour ago, HSDish said:

How much energy can be saved to the battery?

Im living in Sweden and at my place we have about 3 months 0f +2 C and below., about 4 months with +10 c and below, about 2 months with +10-20 C and just about 3 months with 20 c and warrmer..

The sunny weather for about/average 1 hour a day for 2 months , 2 h/d for 2 months, 3 h/d for 2 month, 5 h/d for 2 months, and 8 h/d for about 4 months

Rain or snow about/average 1mm a day for 2months, 2mm/d for 5 months and for about 3mm/d for 5 moths.

Sorry!

The topic title shoul say " Solarcell roof / Solatpack on Prius PHEV 2017 ?

can not edit.

Found out from some Swedish car tests that Prius should go about 600- 700km (372-434 miles I think) on a year basis, in my area, from solarpack generated energy

No English speaker will know what a "Solatpack" is, so not sure that would help. Toyota call it "Solar Roof".

• Thanks 1

"t" is next to "r" on the keyboard. 😉

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:16 PM, HSDish said:

How much energy can be saved to the battery?

Not very effective I'd guess based on this: 2017 plug in

But apparently they're now testing a more efficient one here: 2019 plug in

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, QuantumFireball said:

No English speaker will know what a "Solatpack" is, so not sure that would help. Toyota call it "Solar Roof".

Sorry.

Called Solarpack in Sweden

On 1/29/2020 at 12:44 PM, kithmo said:

"t" is next to "r" on the keyboard. 😉

Right on spot :-)

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 12:51 PM, kithmo said:

Not very effective I'd guess based on this: 2017 plug in

But apparently they're now testing a more efficient one here: 2019 plug in

Thanks a lot.

Helpfull link.

I'm planning to do a test drive with an Prius PHEV 2017 with "Solar Roof" / "Solar Pack" tomorrow Friday

• 4 years later...

Didnt buy an Prius with Solar Roof back in 2020 ( bought a used standard Prius 2017 PHV instead. traded that car for a demo RAV 4 PHEV 2020 in 2022)

Now Im a bit intrested in Prius 2017 with Solar Roof, again.

Anyone here who has experience from Prius 2017 Solar Roof

Im not affraid of showing my lack of knowledge 🙂 so...

Do You think the solar roof (solarcell roof) charges from just sunlight or does it charge from any light whichever ?

(for instance, streetrlights at night)

1 hour ago, HSDish said:

Im not affraid of showing my lack of knowledge 🙂 so...

Do You think the solar roof (solarcell roof) charges from just sunlight or does it charge from any light whichever ?

(for instance, streetrlights at night)

I am afraid it wont charge off street lights but the solar panels used on cars are more efficent than those used on house roof tops.

• Thanks 1

I didn't know the Gen 4 Prius had the option of a solar roof, but from what I remember from the Gen 3, the the solar roof only runs a small fan to help cool the cabin.

The new Gen 5 solar roof option can charge the traction Battery, "With the roof working at its maximum 185 watt capacity, it could generate 2.2 kWh, or about 6.4 miles of range. At this rate, slightly more than six days would be needed to recharge the Battery, for an annual potential of about 2,300 miles"

You may find this thread useful over on Prius Chat, but it relates to Gen 3 - https://priuschat.com/threads/solar-roof-to-recharge-battery.109348/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember looking at the specs and cost of the original Prius solar roof. I think the payback period could be measured in centuries!

The new roof may be better, but you should look at its cost, its realistic capacity, and the cost of electricity that you save.

My home 4kW panels (actually 3.8 kW) produce around 3000 kWh a year. Given the same conditions, I would expect a 185Watt panel to produce around 145 kWh annually. So you would save around £40 annually.

Better than the old roof, but payback still likely to be measured in decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all contributors above.

The thing is that my local Toyota dealer will get a used Prius 2017 PHV with solar roof in some days and Im a bit interessted.

Found this info. 

Outstanding 'firsts' of the 2017 Toyota Prius Plug-in - Toyota UK Magazine

Toyota debuts new Prius with rooftop PV option in Japan – pv magazine International (pv-magazine.com)

Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid gets solar roof option for Europe, Japan - Drive

As I can understand the solar roof on 2017 PHV can even acreace driving EV range.

Im living at the Swedish west coast and we got quite similar climate as the mid/north Britain, I guess, so a system that could charge from rain would probably be even more usefull here, I think 🙂

• Like 1