Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Movement in brake disc

mpg_junkie

Hi all, 

I got a front spring replaced 2 months ago and since then the brakes have been making a speed related "wub wub wub" noise when braking gently at low speed. I removed the front wheels today for an investigation and noticed that the side where the spring was replaced seems like the disc has movement. The other side has no movement. I took a video of the movement. 

Does this look like a wheel bearing failing, something loose that needs tightened, or does it look like my mechanic forgot to assemble the hub assembly correctly? 

All advice welcome 

Cheers

You see that threaded hole between the top two wheel studs? It's supposed to have a countersunk screw in it - tightened! Suggest you go back to whoever did it! Compare it with the other side and you should see what I mean.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

That countersunk screw is only there to hold the disc on when you remove the wheel.  Without it, the disc will move as you have seen.

When the wheel is on and tight, the screw doesn't do anything as the disc his held tight against the hub by dint of the wheel nuts and wheel holding it all tight and together.

What the "wub wub wub" is, I'm not sure at all, but it's nothing to do with the missing screw.

Mick.

I don't think that there is even a threaded hole for that 'missing' screw on the hub of some cars, even when it has been drilled in the disk.  And if this eBay hubs are the same as yours, then you don't have the holes.  The disk is loose because it has been removed to do work on the spring and the 'rust seal' has been broken. The one on the other side will be still rusted on to the hub, so no movement on that one.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e94a6be95a7f469ba52f3f02494dfa34.jpg

There are lots of good pictures on these two eBay listings:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-TOYOTA-YARIS-T-SPIRIT-1-4-D4D-DIESEL-PASSENGER-LEFT-FRONT-HUB/283745775268?fits=Model%3AYaris%2FVitz|Cars+Year%3A2013&hash=item421090eea4:g:yuQAAOSw8o1eIC7e

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-TOYOTA-YARIS-T-SPIRIT-1-4-D4D-DIESEL-DRIVER-RIGHT-FRONT-HUB/402038632491?fits=Model%3AYaris%2FVitz|Cars+Year%3A2013&hash=item5d9b5eb02b:g:5w0AAOSwZL5eIC~V

As you can see on this pair of Yaris hubs on eBay, the area behind the disk can get quite rusty - if the mounting face of the disk and hub it sits on aren't reasonably free of rust then the disk might not spin true when bolted up, perhaps.  I'm not sure that this is your noise though.

• Like 1

If you look at my new disc project here you'll see that, at least on the Avensis, the holes are threaded and can be used to remove the disc.

The genuine and original Toyota discs fitted to my Yaris don't have any countersunk screw holes nor any fixing screws. The genuine replacement discs I have don't either. It isn't needed because the disc is secured in place by the wheel and wheel nuts.

It's quite alright to not use them anyway and it's quite possible they didn't refit them at the time.

There are two threaded M8 holes for use, if required, to assist in removing the disc if it is stuck.

The disc is warped or you have what they call rust jacking (rust or debris on the hub face or back of the disk

looking at the holes they are egged out more than likely the wheel nuts were not tightened to the correct torque - in turn not clamping the disc and causing the disc to move

Springs should be done as an axle pair, the disc is shot as A, its deeply scored B. it got a fat lip on it, that will not pass an MOT - New pads and discs needed

the hole is countersunk so it's for a retaining  screw, the disc size is ultra common, used on loads of makes and models some use the retaining screw, some don't - that's aftermaket discs for you