Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Corolla TS software issue

Jiff

Today driving home 190 miles from Devon I had a strange problem which may be software / display related or could in part be normal. I just wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar. 

I had sat nav set to "go home" and everything was fine for 20 minutes then the main display screen changed to "loading map" with the circular dial just going round & round. It was obvious it wasn't going to load a new map so I thinned the display off as it was distracting. Then I noticed that the clock had stopped. Finally I was going down a long hill and noticed the rev counter going up. Normally when going downhill the wheels charge the Battery & the  engine is off. I switched the speedo to the eco display and despite the rev counter showing 3000 rpm the eco display showed no charging or drive from the engine, in fact the Battery showed all 8 segments full & it still being charged from the wheels. 

Question, is it likely the engine was running quite fast, or is perhaps ready to provide engine breaking if I'd dropped down to B, or was it just the rev counter being wrong? I couldn't detect the engine running but there was quite a lot of road noise. 

Another question, it's there anyway to reboot the sat nav whilst still driving. Once I stopped about 2 hrs later it robots fine. I'm still on nav 1520 update. 

Sorry for the long post I'm not sure if the two issues of the nav & rev counter are related or not. 

Thanks 

I'd have a word with the dealer if this keeps happening. Would not harm to update your software. Engine does not need to be running to provide breaking. Not sure what you mean by "dropped down to B"?

Anyway, not a scenario I have encountered. The engine sometime runs at 1K revs with no Hybrid or wheel drive input, but that only lasts a few seconds.

I had a rare situation yesterday when the car stayed in EV mode even though the gauge was showing power output to be half way. It was as I turned off the A43 at Brackley onto the A422. The Battery was fully charged at the time. In the end I managed to drive all the way to the next roundabout at 50 mph without using any petrol. I assume the ECU was determined to get the charge back down 🙂

Hi Timmon, for dropped down to B I meant move the gear shift to B for engine braking. My first automatic car so still think of it as changing down to a lower gear 🤣. I'm going to check with the dealer soon just waiting for my V5 document so I can fully sign into my Toyota & get the dealer to do whatever they have to to get it fully connected. Hopefully the local one will have the 1530 nav update that may make a difference. 

AndrueC, seems like something wierd happens when the Battery is fully charged, which is good to know. I'll mention your issue as well if the dealer can't think  of a reason for my issue. 

Thanks for the replies 👍

6 hours ago, Jiff said:

Hi Timmon, for dropped down to B I meant move the gear shift to B for engine braking. My first automatic car so still think of it as changing down to a lower gear 🤣. I'm going to check with the dealer soon just waiting for my V5 document so I can fully sign into my Toyota & get the dealer to do whatever they have to to get it fully connected. Hopefully the local one will have the 1530 nav update that may make a difference. 

AndrueC, seems like something wierd happens when the battery is fully charged, which is good to know. I'll mention your issue as well if the dealer can't think  of a reason for my issue. 

Thanks for the replies 👍

There's a "B" for engine braking?  Whereabouts?

As far as I remember, only 1.8 has B section on the gear selector. 2.0 does not.

Cant see anything in the owners manual about a "B" position though. Except...  with the CVT shift in "M" (on non-Excel grades - the excel has flappy paddles of course) there is mention of 10 steps on "engine braking force"

On 1/29/2020 at 3:44 AM, Jiff said:

AndrueC, seems like something wierd happens when the battery is fully charged, which is good to know. I'll mention your issue as well if the dealer can't think  of a reason for my issue. 

Thanks for the replies 👍

OK, I don't have a "B"!  Maybe the 2020 Corolla has a few extra knick knacks! I've got flappy paddles for "gear" change,  don't use them much, or you can change up and down by moving selector to the right then up and down when in Drive. 

11 hours ago, Timmon said:

OK, I don't have a "B"!  Maybe the 2020 Corolla has a few extra knick knacks! I've got flappy paddles for "gear" change,  don't use them much, or you can change up and down by moving selector to the right then up and down when in Drive. 

I had paddles on my Jazz but I mostly only used them when going downhill to create some engine braking. Although they were also way to get faster acceleration for overtaking. Blip the down paddle twice to get the revs close to the red line then as you pulled out, floor the accelerator and switch back to CVT mode (later models did that automatically). People who think a Honda Jazz is an old fogey's car with nothing under the bonnet should try that :)

The 1.8 does have 'B' and doesn't have paddles.

• Like 1