Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on buying a 2007 1.4 D-4D?

09aurisbuyer

Hi all,

We currently have a 2009 1.3 gasoline that we really like. We need a second car, and I found a 2007 1.4 diesel with only 90,000 km. It's the original owner, excellent shape, no visible issues, has been in for service at the dealership each year, etc. 

I've never owned a diesel, though, and I've heard that cheaper, small format diesels can have problems after a while. It also doesn't have an engine warmer, and we live in Norway. He says it always starts fine, but my understanding is the issue with the motor warmer is more about making sure the engine is warm before you start driving, because most engine damage on diesels occurs when the engine is cold. 

Anyone have any thoughts here? The price is good, just a bit hesitant. Thanks. 

Hi,

The only common problem mentioned on here with the 1.4 diesel seems to be DPF issues. You should find that a 2007 doesn't have a DPF, but do check as I understand that the Scandinavian countries introduced DPFs before western Europe on certain makes and models.

This forum is UK-based so not many of us here will have experience of starting diesels in the sort of winters you can have! The coldest I've known it in the UK is -16C and most diesels start fine in that as long as they have a decent Battery and glow plugs.

Engine wear in itself is not really a problem with diesels. More significant issues can be related to the polution control systems such as EGR and DPF (if fitted), particularly if driven on lots of short journeys. Diesels need to good long run to get them hot now and again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Hi,

The only common problem mentioned on here with the 1.4 diesel seems to be DPF issues. You should find that a 2007 doesn't have a DPF, but do check as I understand that the Scandinavian countries introduced DPFs before western Europe on certain makes and models.

This forum is UK-based so not many of us here will have experience of starting diesels in the sort of winters you can have! The coldest I've known it in the UK is -16C and most diesels start fine in that as long as they have a decent battery and glow plugs.

Engine wear in itself is not really a problem with diesels. More significant issues can be related to the polution control systems such as EGR and DPF (if fitted), particularly if driven on lots of short journeys. Diesels need to good long run to get them hot now and again.

Ah it looks like it does have a particle filter. Skip it then?

3 hours ago, 09aurisbuyer said:

Ah it looks like it does have a particle filter. Skip it then?

Well, if you're rarely going to be covering any long journeys it may be best avoided. 

It all depends on how tight your inspections are, and if you have restriction on diesels in towns and cities like some of Europe, if you are not doing long trips of 100-150 km at least once a month you may have issues

if its short journeys stick with petrol it will just be as economic

• Like 1

I would advise to stick with petrol. Easier to maintain and less potential issues. I dont know about your 1.3 one, but even my 1.6, with 91kw gets pretty decent consumption.

Rural roads under 6L per 100kmh, city driving 6.5-7 in summer, 7.5 in winter (i wrote it in kmh since it's easier for you to to understand seeing as you are from Norway).

Plus it always starts pretty easy since it's not a diesel, so i would not advise to look at a diesel at all.