Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis probably around MY 2011 but which one?

jammy_dodger

Hello I am about to go for something reliable but roomy and comfortable i will probably do about 15k a year with a typical journey profile of 2 miles town and 24 miles motorway and 1 mile town again. I currently have a kia ceed sportswagon but need an automatic car ( GF license issues). Budget is below 9k not sure whether i need the estate (I assume the rear seats fold unlike my previous 5 series so the boot should become bigger if required) although the MPG penalty seems low for having it. So the choice is between 1.8 Valvetronic or 2.2 DCAT From my understanding the Petrol should be epically reliable but the diesel may be more suited for motorway journeys. Any thoughts? Is there much of a MPG cost for petrol in real life? I intend to take the car to spaceship mileages should they be good to 150k+ ( i dont trust the kia post warranty).  I guess the gearbox is pretty solid too? Any specific pointers on what to look for?

Depending on your driving style and because you are doing motorway driving, then the diesel will be okay. The petrol is not bad either, since I have a 1.8 manual. Finding a low mileage example is your next problem. The petrol will be upper 30's to the high 40's, but the diesel can be lower 30's to 50's mpg. The 2.0l will be a better bet than the 2.2. The petrol will rev higher when needing power with CVT gearboxes, but once cruising settles down for cruising. 
Kit wise, minimum should be TR. T2 misses a lot of kit! Go for 2011 if you can. Excluding the EPB, the only issue will be the front door cracking at the strap bolts!
There was head gasket issues for the early AD diesel engines, and this was mostly cured. Diesel injectors can have issues, and the EGR needs to cleaned every so often. 
Petrol servicing is very simple and the parts are easy to source, since the Hybrids use the same spark plugs, air filter common to a few cars across the Toyota range, and the oil filter too.

Unless you are going to places like central, which has central London which has ULEZ and effects diesel cars as young as 2016, you have more choice. The London ULEZ is supposed to be expand at the end of the year, but this shouldn't matter if you don't live in or travel to London. 

You need to drive both engines to make your mind up.

If it’s me I will definitely stay away from diesels,  1.8 petrol cvt or manual will be my choice for avensis. 
Good luck 

I personally prefer diesels, but the government seem to be trying to make owners into pariahs. The same thing will happen to petrol, soon enough. Then everyone will be shepherded towards pure electric vehicles. Probably best to go for petrol or hybrid at the moment, or EV on contract if you want a new car. Especially if you want to go to the ULEZ zones, as Konrad mentioned.

11 hours ago, paul9 said:

I personally prefer diesels, but the government seem to be trying to make owners into pariahs. The same thing will happen to petrol, soon enough. Then everyone will be shepherded towards pure electric vehicles. Probably best to go for petrol or hybrid at the moment, or EV on contract if you want a new car. Especially if you want to go to the ULEZ zones, as Konrad mentioned.

I would love to go hybrid but the cars cost a lot more secondhand, plus the added cost of securing the catalytic converter from theft. I would be putting some under floor shielding. Guessing the OP budget and usage, I think the diesel will suit his needs. That's coming from a petrol owner.

• Like 1

I don't recommend the diesel to many items to go wrong with no dealer warranty .petrol version is a low torque gutless wonder .i do rate the car though just not the engines shame it doesn't have a good 1.6 petrol turbo lump .i had the 2.2d t spirit model lovely to drive powerful and econical chopped it in at 80k as it was going to be doing traffic town work .you have to ask yourself do you need such a big car the Yaris petrol i had as a loan car was roomy and nice to drive .and for 9k your get a nice one . But hey it's your money .

• 2 weeks later...

If i can get a 2012 car 2.2 DCAT has most of the reliability issues been sorted by then? Like head gasket ect?

Not sure if the issues have been sorted on the 2.2 DCAT but personally I would recommend a petrol one (1.8). Just less things to go wrong.

I can't comment on the diesel but I can say that the 1.8 petrol is very pleasant to drive and is surprisingly economical.  I disagree with Alan1234 when he says that " petrol version is a low torque gutless wonder".  I actually found it better for towing my caravan than my Volvo 2.4 petrol.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Garth-1 said:

I can't comment on the diesel but I can say that the 1.8 petrol is very pleasant to drive and is surprisingly economical.  I disagree with Alan1234 when he says that " petrol version is a low torque gutless wonder".  I actually found it better for towing my caravan than my Volvo 2.4 petrol.

My confused reaction is because the Volvo should have more available torque given the capacity advantage. I don't think the 1.8 is gutless unless loaded and driving barely over 2000 rpm. Once over 3000 rpm then the engine really wakes up. Drivers are spoilt by diesel which pull from idle and with turbo operate in a limited rev range with high torque nearly always available. In general driving, unless you are in a hurry, it does not matter. get the engine into the 4000 to nearly 7000 rpm and the car will move. It's just the driver has to work more. But as i said before, in normal driving, the engine barely gets near 3000 rpm, and that includes motorway driving!