Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg confusion

Jonsey80

Hi,

Just purchased my yaris hybrid 1.5 cv from 2016, great car in every respect - bar the mpg, its advertised as 82 mpg but i can expect around 57 mp....which is fine, the onboard computer says i range between 56 and 60mpg on each trip - great, but im now 500 miles into ownership and did my first near full refill...29 ltrs into the tank at 326 miles since last refuel which shows my actual mpg is closer to 42 which is a significant difference from 57 and collosal gap from the advertised mpg.

My tyres are fully inflated, dont use aircon,my eco monitor is mostly between half and three quaters of the green zone on motorways, and in the bottom half during urban, 80%of my driving is at 70mph, does this seem right or is something wrong here?

Thanks for any info you can provide

In cold weather you going to get less then in warmer months, probably up to 10 mpg.     
I doubt you going to get any where near 82 mpg while doing 70 mph on a Mway.     
Derbyshire can be quite hilly too, that will take mpg down.      
And of course how you personally drive, heavy/light footed, anticipate slow traffic ahead  so brake early. No foot flat to the floor acceleration.       
Loads of things affect fuel consumption, even if some of the effects may be for short periods of time.

2 hours ago, Jonsey80 said:

29 ltrs into the tank at 326 miles since last refuel which shows my actual mpg is closer to 42

That's 52mpg...

You'll never get book figures from a 2016 car, they were tested in a lab, not the real world. The EU belatedly worked this out after the VW fiasco and mandated real world testing for new cars so the numbers are now pretty accurate.

• Like 1

I got my Yaris Hybrid in October. In Germany the car is rated with an overall fuel consumption of 3.7 liter per 100 km (76 mpg UK) according go NEDC (New European Driving Cycle). Everybody knows that NEDC gives unrealistic figures, therefore it was replaced by WLTP (Worldwide harmonized light vehicle test procedure). I am not entirely sure, but as far as I know the Toyota Yaris is rated 4.8 liter per 100 km (59 mpg UK) according to WLTP. Well, I knew that NEDC is rubbish, but I had expected 4.5 liter (62 mpg UK). Actually, my fuel consumption right now varies between 5.2 l/100 km (52 mpg UK) and 5.7 l/100 km (49 mpg).

Let's face it: 5.7 liter per 100 km is 54 percent more than what was advertised by Toyota for this car. If I were a lawyer, I could probably sue them. On the other hand, I do not use any imaginable trick to reduce my fuel consumption, I simply drive my car. When it is cold, I turn on the heating, and on highways I rather go 75 mph instead of 55 mph. Nevertheless I expect the fuel consumption to go down by 10% when winter is over.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

2 hours ago, Jonsey80 said:

Hi,

Just purchased my yaris hybrid 1.5 cv from 2016, great car in every respect - bar the mpg, its advertised as 82 mpg but i can expect around 57 mp....which is fine, the onboard computer says i range between 56 and 60mpg on each trip - great, but im now 500 miles into ownership and did my first near full refill...29 ltrs into the tank at 326 miles since last refuel which shows my actual mpg is closer to 42 which is a significant difference from 57 and collosal gap from the advertised mpg.

My tyres are fully inflated, dont use aircon,my eco monitor is mostly between half and three quaters of the green zone on motorways, and in the bottom half during urban, 80%of my driving is at 70mph, does this seem right or is something wrong here?

Thanks for any info you can provide

Hi Mark, I keep track of my mpg all the time, in the proper way, not relying on the cars computer. I like you, use every trick in the book to get the maximum mpg. Otherwise there is no reason for buying a Hybrid. My last fill yielded 48.80mpg on mixed driving with as light a foot as possible. The fill before that yielded 43.78mpg mostly on short runs and town driving. So Toyota claims of high mpg are just sales hype. The best I ever got was June last year when on a long run and being as frugal as possible I got 64.91mpg.

The OP's calculation is wrong - 29 litres over 326 miles gives a fuel consumption of just over 51mpg (Imperial galllons).

I suspect he has used the US gallon, which is smaller than the Imperial gallon.

• Like 1

. I like you, use every trick in the book to get the maximum mpg. Otherwise there is no reason for buying a Hybrid.

With all due respect: I think that this is a flawed statement. A Toyota Hybrid offers a seamless CVT transmission without the mechanical weakness of a CVT, it offers the ability to drive fully electric at least for a while and it blends the engine in and out without annoying the driver. This is pretty awesome. If I would have been in the market only for low fuel consumption, I could have bought a Turbodiesel.

Frank

Not flawed, what perhaps I should have said is that I had no other reason for buying a Hybrid other than getting high mpg. I also stand by the fact that Toyota Yaris Hybrid mpg is hyped up sales oriented. Yes the transmission is brilliant and yes easy to drive, but a diesel turbo does not suit me because I’m a low mileage retired mostly town short run motorist. Hence the only reason for me buying a Hybrid.

54 minutes ago, Sampleman said:

With all due respect: I think that this is a flawed statement. A Toyota Hybrid offers a seamless CVT transmission without the mechanical weakness of a CVT, it offers the ability to drive fully electric at least for a while and it blends the engine in and out without annoying the driver. This is pretty awesome. If I would have been in the market only for low fuel consumption, I could have bought a Turbodiesel.

Frank

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP's calculation is wrong - 29 litres over 326 miles gives a fuel consumption of just over 51mpg (Imperial galllons).

I suspect he has used the US gallon, which is smaller than the Imperial gallon.

Yes, this is the case.

Im glad its 51mpg, but that is still lower than the 57-60 reported by the cars computer, not as drasticaly but its still there.

Just how it rolls i expect and it could be due to winter...

Hence the only reason for me buying a Hybrid.

When I bought my three year old Yaris Hybrid with 28,000 miles on the clock, I spent 13,400 Euro - which is an awful lot of money. For that money I could also get a Yaris 1.0 with manual transmission in basic configuration brand new. If we talk about money, it is rather unlikely that you can pay the premium for a Hybrid from the money you save at the petrol station. This is even more true when you do not drive very much.

I definitely wanted a car with automatic transmission, and I wanted a very reliable car (Toyota Hybrids are known to be very robust and reliable). My previous car had cost me 5,000 Euro and I drove it 60,000 miles before I sold it again for 1,600 Euro. That means that I expect my Toyota Yaris Hybrid to serve me at least 150,000 miles without big problems. In the end I paid 2,000 Euro more than initially expected because I opted for an almost fully loaded car with nice things like keyless entry, cruise control and reverse parking camera.

I probably would not have bought this car without its promising low fuel consumption. As a matter of fact, I am slightly disappointed about my current fuel consumption. But I am not at all disappointed about the car itself. i love it.

Even my wife loves it. And she usually hates cars,-)

Frank