Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can this headlight be fixed cheaply??

ziauris

Hi all,

My car was hit on the passenger side front wheel arch. It has damaged the headlight in that it is now "dipped" and pointing lower than it should be. I opened engine compartment and from a cursory look it looks like 2 plastic bits meant to hold the headlight in the correct position have snapped (circled in red). 

Any know a cheap fix for this? Or will I need to buy a new headlight?

Thanks

headlight IMG_2428.jpg

headlight IMG_20191127_115232.jpg

headlight IMG_20191127_115232.jpg

I hope the damage is not internal. A cousin was hit in a similar manner, but the inside of the headlight was messed up and the reflectors were missaligned. even though the outside seemed fine.

I personally would use 2 piece epoxy and would reinforce it with some gauze on top, you need to put glue first, then push the gauze onto it. 

Dont use too much gauze, 2 thin layers maybe.

Since epoxy sometimes needs up to 24 hr to dry, ideally do it during the weekend and make sure the headlight will not move at all during this time.

Maybe secure it with tape to the rest of the bodywork until glue has been set.

That's how i would attack the problem anyway.

I'd be inclined to drill a couple of tiny holes through the plastic on both sides of each break, and then stitch them together with fine steel wire. You have bags of space, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and it won't ever break. Epoxy would be a good reinforcement, though. Make sure it's all scrupulously clean.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links