Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Steering Column Lock

gazunni

Hello

i have a 2019 Corolla Hatchback. I want to dolly tow the vehicle behind a motorhome and the dolly I am looking to purchase requires the steering column to be unlocked. Currently the steering wheel lock motor engages when you shut off the vehicle and exit. Is there anyway of preventing the lock motor from engaging to allow the steering wheel to move after shutting off the vehicle and exiting?
With a keyed ignition it would be easy to leave the steering wheel lock disengaged. 
In some cases electronic features can be disabled either by pulling a fuse or disconnecting the Battery terminal, but would rather do this through a specific procedure or sequence.

Any information is appreciated.

• Like 1

I tow a Kia Picanto behind my motorhome, flat towed with an A-frame. As far as I understand it, towing with a dolly is illegal in the UK though I don't know what the position is in other countries  - the only UK options are a flat tow with an A-frame or a car transporting trailer. Also at nearly 2 tons in weight, a Corolla may exceed your Gross Train Weight. Sorry can't help with how to disable the steering lock.

I am in Canada where a toy dolly is legal.  Motorhome and dolly are under the tow capacity of our Motorhome as it is 37’ with an 8.1 litre  Chevy engine with Allison transmission 

• Like 1

Your question has been the answer to mine, actually - if I open my door immediately after I get the gear to Park, but before I turn the engine off, the car beeps (and does not let me know why) - beeping goes away when I shut the door back followed by a mechanical sound, which now I understand is the lock for the steering wheel.

Well, you may try turning the car off and leave from the passenger door, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the key reminder, turn the car off then open the door - no more annoying beep 😉

• Like 2