Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collected MY2020 [UK spec] Corolla Touring 2.0 Excel (Sapphire Black)

superclarkey

On 1/28/2020 at 5:55 AM, bruce e said:

One thing I have noticed when comparing the Auris to the Corolla hybrid hatch is how quickly the rear boot area gets dirty especially at this time of the year calling for a rear end clean when the rest of the car is still reasonable 🧐

Yes i have the same option installed!

I think its called SFT (Self Camouflage Tailgate ).

But you will find that it also has facility to tell you when you need to wash the tailgate. Its incorporated in the gear   shift. When you select reverse the display shows like a wet mist on the screen.

For some reason if you wipe the little glass eyeball on the tailgate the mist disappears but the car tailgate remains dirty.😎 

For it's worth I actually listened this morning and I can hear the car idling. It sounds like any other(*) car idling. At least with a hybrid you know that most of the time it's doing useful work. The only time it possibly isn't is if the Battery is already fully charged and the engine is only running in order to generate heat for the cabin and based on my experience I'd say that scenario was pretty unlikely.

(*)Well any other car that cost around 30k at least. I would expect a Rolls Royce to be quieter and a Mini Metro to be louder :)

I can easily hear the engine at idle, more so than my Audi, but not that intrusive, and a lot less then the road noise from those 40 profile tyres.

4 hours ago, PACorolla said:

Yes i have the same option installed!

I think its called SFT (Self Camouflage Tailgate ).

But you will find that it also has facility to tell you when you need to wash the tailgate. Its incorporated in the gear   shift. When you select reverse the display shows like a wet mist on the screen.

For some reason if you wipe the little glass eyeball on the tailgate the mist disappears but the car tailgate remains dirty.😎 

Good for confusing number plate recognition cameras 😂

Perhaps a wiper to clean the camera lens will soon be available  🧐

On start up I hear the engine, and it is clearly warming up and the EV is taking me down the road. But the noise is not bad, just a constant hum, whereas, if driving my last car, I had the raise and lower and jolts as i change gear. Maybe we are just too used to a silent drive compared to a full petrol manual or standard automatic? 

I think if you put the car in neutral, it cannot charge the Battery, so Toyota suggest not doing that. Only time I ever use neutral is in a car wash in Banbury that pulls the car through the tunnel! Otherwise, if waiting a long time in a queue, I use Park.

It would be useful to hear the sound that annoys you, to compare, but I can't say I have identified any odd noises, except the usual buzzes and whirrs as the Hybrid system engages and disengages, and the park brakes apply etc.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:16 PM, Clockwork said:

Yes, I find the 5mph increments a bit annoying as well - luckily I don't use cruise control much (only at 70mph) and a lot less than my last car.  It should hold the speed though.  Is the "adaptive" messing you up?  When you engage cruise control, the adaptive setting is at max and It likes to leave a huge (IMO) gap to the car in front so I set it to minimum (but not off) which I find much more suitable.

In Denmark cruise control jumps in 5 km/h increments, thats only 3,1 mph. per click. 

30 minutes ago, Timmon said:

It would be useful to hear the sound that annoys you, to compare, but I can't say I have identified any odd noises, except the usual buzzes and whirrs as the Hybrid system engages and disengages, and the park brakes apply etc.

The only one that puzzles me is the whirr from the under the bonnet when you open the driver's door to get in. It's as if something is winding up. If you don't immediately start the car it eventually seems to 'unwind'.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, superclarkey said:

Nice one, Will try that next time I’m in the car.

also to the noise on idle, its sitting there charging the battery, I asked the dealer and he said it was normal.  When you drive it is silent. 

Its like in park its “pushing” the far forwards, or better way of explaining it there is a slight load on the wheels. 

will have to make a video.

interested to hear from other 2.0ltr owners.

I think that's a quirk of the hybrid system,  Auris makes some funny lurches against the parking pawl in the transmission. I love black as I had an astra for 10 years and you could touch up minor damage with any old paint and it hardly showed! It would be my first choice of colour.  Would be interested to know brinm to brim economy and see how that compares with 1.8

11 hours ago, AndrueC said:

The only one that puzzles me is the whirr from the under the bonnet when you open the driver's door to get in. It's as if something is winding up. If you don't immediately start the car it eventually seems to 'unwind'.

Fuel system pressurization perhaps. Once up to pressure the noise stops.

5 hours ago, rafletcher said:

Fuel system pressurization perhaps. Once up to pressure the noise stops.

Maybe but it sounds too loud for that. It's loud enough to hear above a conversation.

4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Maybe but it sounds too loud for that. It's loud enough to hear above a conversation.

I just assumed it is the hybrid system preparing to fire up either the engine or the hybrid Battery, but no idea.

The sound that worries me at the moment is the click when driving these dreary January days, which is the auto headlights switching on and off. The display on the dash is so small during daylight, I have no idea that the headlights have switched n or off, except if close to the car in front, so I see the reflection. I notice the click now, but fear someone will pull out in front of me thinking I am flashing them on. It really is an oversight not allowing the driver to be able to cancel the auto headlights. I, for one, don't need the facility at all.

I suspect the noise you are hearing is the brake booster pressurising

• Like 4

Silly question that is driving me mad, keep getting a beep in the car while driving, sounds like the parking sensors... don’t know if its picking up passing objects or what but seems random...

really annoying loud beep and nothing on dash or console, it happens about 3 to 4 times an hour.

seems to do it even when parked and ignition on.

thoughts?

4 hours ago, superclarkey said:

Silly question that is driving me mad, keep getting a beep in the car while driving, sounds like the parking sensors... don’t know if its picking up passing objects or what but seems random...

really annoying loud beep and nothing on dash or console, it happens about 3 to 4 times an hour.

seems to do it even when parked and ignition on.

thoughts?

When i first got the car there were lots of beeps and bongs. Slowly over a few weeks i was able to reduce them or make them less sensitive using the setup options.

BUT i have one annoying sound. It 4 bongs with no indication on the dash.

It happens when cruise control is set and RSA   is on.

It happens at certain geographic locations 60% of the time.

The dealer (despite seeing it whilst they drove the car) and toyota have no idea what is causing it!!!!!

The have said 4 weeks ago they will update satnav to latest version to see if that cures it but they can't provide an update as the update service is not working and dont know when it will be fixed.

TOYOTA CERTAINLY KNOW HOW NOT TO INSTILL CONFIDENCE IN ITS CUSTOMERS!

4 bongs/beeps when driving with adaptive cruise control on is when the car is going faster than the set speed and for whatever reason doesn't slow down quick enough (via engine braking or brakes). Most common when going down hill. When the car slows down enough either via driver intervention or the car starts to react a bit more quickly it shuts up :-)

You will also see the set speed indicator (not the circular one) go solid white/flash (I think) but it will be visually different.

P.s. I've left all the systems on still, in all its noisy glory [emoji41]

Pretty sure it's all covered in the manual [emoji23]

14 minutes ago, bewA said:

4 bongs/beeps when driving with adaptive cruise control on is when the car is going faster than the set speed and for whatever reason doesn't slow down quick enough (via engine braking or brakes). Most common when going down hill. When the car slows down enough either via driver intervention or the car starts to react a bit more quickly it shuts up 🙂

You will also see the set speed indicator (not the circular one) go solid white/flash (I think) but it will be visually different.

P.s. I've left all the systems on still, in all its noisy glory emoji41.png

Pretty sure it's all covered in the manual emoji23.png

Thanks for your comment. Will change my speedo display and see what happens.

Your explanation is similar to one offered by the garage when i first reported the problem. However the 1,3 or 5 over speed settings seem to have no effect.

Also i started calling out the cruise speed, speed limit  and actual speed to record on the Dashcam. And the were all within the limits. It also happens uphill, downhill and along flat. Video clip it was flat as a pancake at 30mph  I have also had it happen with standard cruise control as well. 

Anyway will try with alternate display.

Thanks

However the 1,3 or 5 over speed settings seem to have no effect.............

II think the above only relates to exceeding a geographical speed limit eg town speed limit etc and is not related to a cruise control setting

What's on your Dashcam GPS doesn't really matter it's about what the car is reporting but I guarantee the 4 beeps is when the speed is faster than the speed you set in cruise. It also doesn't matter about the increment, 1, 3, 5mph/omg, those are just the increments for increasing decreasing not the amount the warning, 4 bongs/beeps.
You can also "trigger" the behaviour by setting the speed limit when accelerating and then letting your foot off the accelerator which will cause it, the timing has to be right tho ;-) but for me I have a couple of steep hill descents where it will happen if I have the CC set.

However the 1,3 or 5 over speed settings seem to have no effect.............

II think the above only relates to exceeding a geographical speed limit eg town speed limit etc and is not related to a cruise control setting

The 4 beeps has zero to do with RSA, it's about what speed you have set.

43 minutes ago, bewA said:

The 4 beeps has zero to do with RSA, it's about what speed you have set.

Thanks for info. It starts to make some sense. But if i disable RSA it never makes the 4 beeps!

9 minutes ago, PACorolla said:

Thanks for info. It starts to make some sense. But if i disable RSA it never makes the 4 beeps!

9 minutes ago, PACorolla said:

Which seems to suggest that it is RSA speed limit related after all.

The Auris also had an audible alert when the speed limit was exceeded

Hhmmm   just experienced the beeps going downhill with Cruise Control selected.

The speed had crept above what was selected & the CC speed numerals on the dial momentarily showed with a white background.

I then deselected the CC & deliberately exceeded the posted speed limit & the numerals changed to a red background but no warning beep this time.

Must investigate further

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bruce e said:

Hhmmm   just experienced the beeps going downhill with Cruise Control selected.

The speed had crept above what was selected & the CC speed numerals on the dial momentarily showed with a white background.

I then deselected the CC & deliberately exceeded the posted speed limit & the numerals changed to a red background but no warning beep this time.

Must investigate further

I think what bewA a is saying is you have to have cruise control on  and then give a burst from the throttle, ease off accelerator and let it power through the cruise limit. I vaguely recall this happening a few weeks back.

I think bewA is right about what is happening but the tolerance on this alarm is tight. I can on some roads that an not excessively hilly get 6 alarms in 2 miles without touching the accelerator. 

It can only mean the cruise control is not that good!

The whirring when opening the driver's door is the brake pump building pressure in the accumulator. It will do it as needed while driving. The braking system makes more whirs and clunks than the rest of the car! Odd random beeps might be speed camera warnings, it works from the satnav and gives advance warning. It can't be totally relied on nor can the speed sign recognition or emergency brake warning