Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima Hybrid Auxiliary battery

David Stevenson

New to the system and not sure how this works.

I own a 2007 Estima Hybrid 2.4 engine. What a fantastic vehicle and brilliant value even SH from Japan

However it needs a new auxiliary Battery. Where do you get these with the extra two wires attached?

David

IMG_20200124_093226362.jpg

Moved to the Estima forum.

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Estima forum.

I just ordered one of these

Lucas LP005 / LP005L Battery = 55D23L Car

Not sure if it will work but if anybody has experience changing the knackered original Panasonic S55D23L, please let me know

Sorry your links are dead did you get the correct type of Battery as Hybrids us the AGM type, iirc the S55D23L is an upgrade over the standard one

Edit.

link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-LP005-LP005L-Battery-55D23L-Car-Van-Suv-Battery-Check-size/324010747688?epid=252200875&hash=item4b708ba728:g:eK8AAOSw15Fam8t5

That Battery is incorrect as its lead acid

Many thanks for that. I have just cancelled the order and will hunt around for the AGM type instead.

Do you know what the 2 extra wires are all about on the Panasonic S55D23L original?

Mr Toyota dealers do an AGM Battery suitable for the Auris/Prius for about £120 inc vat, a good price.

IIrc toyota do a flat rate for the hybrids (12v AGM) the 2 wires are a temperature sensor that's part of the Battery

Those two wires

That would explain why it wasn't registering a voltage!

Many thanks

Thanks for that

21 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Mr Toyota dealers do an AGM battery suitable for the Auris/Prius for about £120 inc vat, a good price.

Thanks I will also contact the local Toyota dealer

You need an agm charger to charge an agm Battery - the sensor is for temperature only and the connector clips to the corner of the Battery

The agm Battery in the wife’s Auris hybrid was dying, couple of times to get out of a hole I used one of these, available EBay/amazon, an Suaoki T10 jump starter. In a Toyota hybrid, the aux Battery is not all that big as it only has to “light” up the main hybrid battery/computer. No starter motor on Auris/Prius so assume the same on your hybrid.  I just connected my Suaoki across the terminals of the 12v Battery, and by the time I got to sit in the car and turned on, it was enough to start the car. Good insurance backup for less then £40.

I contacted Toyota who said that the only Battery listed was the Toyota branded S55D23L at £204. (no idea if its AGM type or flooded)

I looked at the AGM batteries available on the net but they are the wrong size and even the size that will just squeeze in was really too low Ah.

So in the end I ordered a Bosch 005/005L Bosch Heavy Duty Car Battery S4024 12V 60Ah 4 Yr Wty  At £66 its worth a try.

I will also invest in one of those Suaoki T10 jump starter. as recommended above

Thanks everybody.

All I need now is a fix on the electric sliding door. An expert is required I think

Don't be surprised if you have issues as the charging system is supposed to be the AGM type it uses that temp sensor as part of the monitoring it may even throw an eml

AGM is a deep cycle Battery type, the Battery is also inside the cabin

did you check the terminal size and polarity ?

New Subject Cruise control retrofit

There are many companies selling these for a very reasonable price, Has anybody experienced fitting one to an Estima Hybrid?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254233008284

Manufacturer Part Number :

84632-34011

Reference OE/OEM Number :

Looks to good to be true

84632-34011

23 hours ago, flash22 said:

Don't be surprised if you have issues as the charging system is supposed to be the AGM type it uses that temp sensor as part of the monitoring it may even throw an eml

AGM is a deep cycle battery type, the battery is also inside the cabin

did you check the terminal size and polarity ?

Yes understood thanks.  Its is a bit of a punt really.  It arrives today so I will find out soon.  The dimensions are spot on.  Will let you know the outcome

RE. CC, that's an aftermarket stalk for that sort of money i would think - that stalk is less than £6 from china

Oem from japan is more like £40-50 a quick look on megazip shows it at $60 US

Looked at megazip but they dont list the AHR20 model (starts 2007)

At £20 its worth a punt to see if Toyota changed this part after the AHR10

Toyota Estima Hybrid 2007. Battery change
I bought a Bosch 005L 60Ah. Tested today and it works fine. The only modification is that the two wires (thermo couple) was disconnected from the original Battery and re glued on the new Battery.

Silly me I didnt think straight. The Thermocouple has to be glued to the casing to sence temperature and not penetrate the casing.

The new battery had 2 push in vent plugs. So I left the RHT in position and removed the LHS only. The Original battery vent pipe (elbow) pulled out as it was just glued in position with a spot of glue and slightly modified on its Outside diameter before gluing into the vent hole on the Bosch.
Works a treat and saved me £150 against purchasing a Toyota battery. Lets see how long it lasts.

Oh yes finally the Bosch is about 15mm longer that the original but sits on a movable plastic tray and drops in perfectly. Still a bit of finishing work to do but so far very good

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, David Stevenson said:

Toyota Estima Hybrid 2007. Battery change
I bought a Bosch 005L 60Ah. Tested today and it works fine. The only modification is that the two wires (thermo couple) was disconnected from the original Battery and re glued on the new Battery.

Silly me I didnt think straight. The Thermocouple has to be glued to the casing to sence temperature and not penetrate the casing.

The new Battery had 2 push in vent plugs. So I left the RHT in position and removed the LHS only. The Original Battery vent pipe (elbow) pulled out as it was just glued in position with a spot of glue and slightly modified on its Outside diameter before gluing into the vent hole on the Bosch.
Works a treat and saved me £150 against purchasing a Toyota Battery. Lets see how long it lasts.

Oh yes finally the Bosch is about 15mm longer that the original but sits on a movable plastic tray and drops in perfectly. Still a bit of finishing work to do but so far very good

Hi David, i have the same issue thanks this advice has really helped just one question what glue did you use to attach he sensor to the Battery case?

Kind regards Ejaz 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have replaced Battery for my estima hybrid 2007, I bought it from local shop and did not connected temperature sensor wire with it because there was not any place to connect and after some hours I had issue with hybrid Battery,

is any one knows due to temperature sensors hybrid Battery can be faulty.

Just take temp sensor from old Battery and attach to new one duck tape. Did this a year ago. No problems so far.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I’m in a same situation needs a Battery for my estima hybrid, can some suggest me a make and model of the batteries you changed please

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We have just bought a Toyota Estima hybrid from 2007 and we need to change the Battery

Can someone tell me where the 12v Battery is placed in the car? Maybe you can send me some pictures as well.

Does anyone have a link for the Battery that we have to buy?

Thank you very much!