Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Data collected without our permission (ecall)

androids

Is anyone aware how much data are collected by Toyota centralle from our 'modern' Corollas, without our permission ?
- GPS location, speed, ....
More info is here: link

The Toyota Privacy notice does list what you are consenting to be processed.  Under GDPR you are entitled to reject this if you don't agree (however this will most likely stop connected services from working).

But you would be consenting when you agree to use Connected Services which eCall is part of

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/myt

Which Personal Data will be collected?

We will collect and use the following Personal Data:

-         Identity information (e.g. title, family and first name, mother tongue);

-         Contact information (e.g. mobile number, email address, postal address);

-         If you have a Toyota vehicle with an on-board Internet connectivity functionality, identification information requested by the mobile network operator which provides the Internet connectivity service (e.g. copy of ID documents, debit/credit card details);

-         MyToyota account related information (e.g. preferred contact method, subscription information, communication language preference, Authorised Retailer/Repairer preference);

-         Geolocation information linked to your Toyota vehicle and/or your smartphone (e.g. GPS location, planned destination);

-         Driving behaviour (e.g. driving logs, journey logs, driving speed, acceleration and brake speed);

-         Emergency contact information ( if you have provided such information on your MyToyota account);

-         Journey information;

-         Social media ID;

-         Customer segment;

-         Vehicle identification data (e.g. vehicle registration plate, vehicle identification number, date of purchase of the vehicle);

-         Technical vehicle data (e.g. mileage, fuel consumption, warnings);

-         Current and historical vehicle-related data (e.g. accessories, tyres, finance, insurance, warranty-related information, if applicable);

-         Financial data related to the Services (e.g. history of your payments for the Services, invoices, VAT number, if applicable); and

-         Interaction history (e.g. planned maintenance and service bookings)

Ecall is an EU requirement on all new Type Approved cars from April 2018.

Also i think the statement of it being used without permission is a bit dramatic.

It's clearly in the terms/privacy notice that you agreed to, whether you read it is different matter...

Also that page (which Google translated from german to english for me) only talks about Mercedes, Renault and BMW 🙂

It's all in the T's & C's, you have been able to collect driving data for 20 plus years - technology has moved on and everything is integrated so data can be collected remotely

with the correct tools you can find most people on the planet

Tin foil hats are available on eBay and Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Deflecto-Unisex-Foil-Size/product-reviews/B01I497JAM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personal privacy is a concern for everyone (all jokes aside) but in this day and age you have to give it up for lots of stuff. Think of your smartphone what you give to various apps? Gmail can read all your emails and passes info back to Google etc. Privacy is dead in this day and age unless you unplug everything I'm afraid...

Most people voluntarily give a lot of information out on Twitter on Facebook (I have accounts on neither). I wouldn't say privacy is dead but it's on life support 🙂

• Like 1

Mobile phone is a good point. Most people will have OK'd apps to know their geo location. So Toyota knowing it does not bother me much. Could be a good thing.

My toaster knows where I am at any one time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links