Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Updates - version question

Nat_

I've had my Yaris from brand new now for around 18 months. Updating the maps is something I've been meaning to look into for a while now. Helping my dad's partner updating her sat nav at the weekend reminded me to sort out my own and also given that I'm due to be visiting a friend this weekend who lives 2 hours away, her house is new build so sat nav thinks I'm driving through a field when I go to visit her. Plus part of the route to her is currently undergoing some extensive road realignment/re-routing so when complete my sat nav will be well and truly confused.

Now I can see that you download to USB stick and then insert into the car. I don't see any issues with that, I'm good with that kind of stuff. My confusion is with the versioning though. I currently have software version 6.11.0WL and map version 2018 v1. I believe the car came with 3 years map care so I shouldn't have to pay. I get offered 2 options in my portal. Pay for 6.14.0L or 6.14.0H or go for the Map of Europe option which is free. However when I go for the Map of Europe option and input my software version it says my version is not a valid version. Is this something only the dealer can help me with or do I choose another version? Is the 0WL part significant? I can see there is a 6.14.0WL on the Map of Europe option.

The version for you would be 6.14.0L and although it seems that it is going to make you "pay" for it, if you click through the entire process, you'll find that eventually the cost for you, as long as it has recognised your vehicle reg, is £0.00 when it is in your basket (hopefully)...

Thank you I will give that one a try later. And yes you are right when I click on that option it does indeed change to £0 and shows that I have 3 years map care. It is very misleading and I would say not the most user friendly. Most the things you click on it says not available for your device... then why show it?? I'll try to remember to check for updates again before my 3 years is up, make the most of it.

Indeed you should! I would also agree that is the most user unfriendly interface on the web but then, much of Toyota's website is a bit like that... Glad you got sorted 🙂

Yep looks pretty straight forward to update. I plugged the USB in yesterday evening. Said the update would take 38 minutes but I then thought better of it. Didn't think my neighbours would approve of my engine running for that length of time at 8/9pm at night. Well technically the engine would have been cutting in and out as my car is a hyrbid. I also wondered whether the update could run whilst I am driving (obviously wouldn't be able to use radio/maps but I'm not bothered by that for a one off occasion), my work commute is around 1 hour so enough time for it to complete. Would be nice if I could get it done before Saturday but I can see it may have to wait until Sunday when I'm at home during the day.

Mine is also a hybrid and I have updated mine before when my main Battery has been up over the 60% level (all but the last bar lit on the display) without the engine even starting before the update finished installing. I did keep the lights and heater switched off though and you need to make sure it is just after you have done a journey that has got the engine up to its normal working temperature (otherwise it will start no matter the Battery level).

Yes that did occur to me. Battery doesn't seem to last long when sat stationary, I wasn't sure it would last 38 minutes on a full charge (or nearly full). And yes I was thinking of doing it one evening when I got home from work if I can get home at a sensible time and not be stuck behind really slow cars on my local roads near to home.

I also noticed it said my system memory percentage was 93%. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.

Sorry, where did you see that? (system memory 93%)

Ah right. No, that's not a concern at all as it is just the memory allocated for the NAV functionality. You would, of course, only be choosing either the Western Europe region or Eastern but if concerned, you do get the option of only loading the UK maps (further on in the dialogues) if you never drive abroad and that reduces memory usage further...