Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My T - booking a service

AndrueC

Has anyone managed to get this to work? Issues I've found are:

* For some reason the app thinks my car is due a service at 9,432 miles. Possibly this is an estimate based on 12 month's use.

* It thinks my mobile number is invalid unless I enter it using the international dialling format.

* It won't accept my address unless I edit it to enter my first name (which it promptly forgets when the app is closed).

* It doesn't know that I have a service plan (I can tell it I do but then it forgets when relaunched).

* Attempting to make the booking immediately fails.

After two failed attempts I used my dealer's website and that wasn't a brilliant experience either but appears at least to have gone through. Just waiting for the confirmation now :-/

Hi Andrue, sorry for messing with your topic, but I couldn't find this information and I tried to ask in another one with no luck.

Did you got some sort of notification/reminder for the service/oil change on the instrument panel? If so how and when does it appear? Does it gives you some miles buffer to mange the booking and the change before the limit is exceeded?

Thank you.

No reminder at all. It's possible the dealer has disabled it as that seems to be common in the UK at least (I think I read somewhere that it's proven to be unpopular and confusing and more trouble than it's worth). No I just happened to notice that My T was warning of an upcoming service.

• Thanks 1

You can manually add reminders for things in MyT but i don't think any of it is automatic reminders but i did notice the service mileage countdown...

Thank you.

Then I am seriously confused.

How is this possible? I am not forced to use their connected services or the mobile application, right? And if so, then it seems there is no way for me to know when I need to service my car in order to comply with their requirements for warranty. I know that every car dealer (at least in my country) states that warranty is not voided if oil is changed according to the schedule.

What will happen if I accidentally miss the mileage and bring the car for oil change after what is stated in the service book? 

Are they expecting us to make parallel manual calculations with a pen and paper not to miss the deadline?

As far as I'm aware, to date it is only diesels that have had a service reminder or oil maintenance warning on the instrument cluster.

For non-diesels, service intervals are

UK - every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

US -  every six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Most European countries -  every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever occurs first.

Should be fairly easy to remember.

In the UK, if a service is late and beyond the leeway the importer allows, the warranty will only be affected if a warranty claim is made which is dependent on correct servicing. However, for countries outside the UK, one should check with the importer for your sales area.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, to date it is only diesels that have had a service reminder or oil maintenance warning on the instrument cluster.

Should be fairly easy to remember.

In the UK, if a service is late and beyond the leeway the importer allows, the warranty will only be affected if a warranty claim is made which is dependent on correct servicing. However, for countries outside the UK, one should check with the importer for your sales area.

Disregarding miles what is the leeway with servicing? for example my car will be 12 months in early march but I am away from start of march for 3 weeks. If the car is serviced in week 3 or 4 of March does my warranty become invalid?

As far as I'm aware the leeway is 1 month/1,000 miles. 

As stated previously, servicing in the UK is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• Like 1

I've never had any problem remembering to get my car serviced. Typically it was tied into the MoT cycle (one vehicle, MoT, insurance and servicing were all in November 😮) but I just knew that one particular month of the year was service time and for the last few cars it's been March because my birthday is in February 😉.

For people who do more than the warranty mileage per year it's going to be more difficult but thankfully I've never been in that position.

53 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

For people who do more than the warranty mileage per year it's going to be more difficult but thankfully I've never been in that position.

This is my case. I have the car since beginning of November and I already have 8600km. This is already more than half of the 15000 for oil change.

And it is not a consistent mileage per day/week/month... Most of it is accumulated on long journeys across Europe.

This is why I have this frustration.

Imagine I have to go tomorrow on a 2500km trip. With my old Seat Leon it was a simple check in settings - how much till change? Another 6500...Ok, then I’m good with the trip.

Or the opposite - Only 1200 to change. I don’t want to look for dealers abroad, let’s change it in advance before the trip...

Did you not check the service intervals and whether the car has a service indicator or not when you bought the car?

I have read the manual before the purchase, where it is written to have such thing. In reality mine does not. Apparently Andrue’s also.

And I also never imagined it is possible in 2019 to have a car without this...

Seems in UK you have different regulations and practices for this, but in rest of Europe, any car since around 2000 has this.

Apologies for messing with this topic and affecting you by having the audacity to ask for such unnecessary functionality.

Perhaps it's different in your region but surely you have done your own due diligence before agreeing to purchase the car regarding servicing.
Maybe the dealership you used should have said or maybe they did and you forgot?
It's always easier to blame someone else...

12 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

Seems in UK you have different regulations and practices for this, but in rest of Europe, any car since around 2000 has this.

Only one of the cars we've bought new 2000 has had a service indicator - 11 new cars from manufacturers including Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, and Hyundai. These wouldn't differ in terms of having or not having service indicators than the rest of Europe.

Service indicators aren't required by legislation.

Both my last two Hondas had service indicators but they were disabled by the dealership. There was a thread about it on a Honda forum I used to visit. Several people said that other marques were the same and as I mentioned previously it seems that dealers felt it caused more trouble than it was worth.

I want to apologize in advance and I hope that this will not be understood wrong.

I am really just trying to understand this difference in UK.

So how is it possible these reminders to cause trouble or confusion? What they are meant to do is to make sure driver will not forget about oil change by reminding him at some point.

For example what VAG cars do is to start showing a message on every ignition saying sth like "Oil change due in 3000 km". Next start of the car that message will be for example "Oil change due in 2946 km" and so on. So if you have a 15000 km service interval, these messages start showing from 12000.

This way driver does not need to pay any attention on his mileage and seeing the message in advance will allow him to have plenty of time for scheduling a visit to the dealer.

And here comes my Balcans mindset that dictates me - if dealer says this reminder is not good, then most probably he does it because he wants customers to have the chance to miss deadlines and be able to use this in his advance in a potential warranty situation...

Otherwise I totally don't understand UK situation.

It seems like someone trying to convince me that using a calendar on my phone/computer is confusing and causing troubles. And I should instead pay attention and memorize my schedules...

27 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

I am really just trying to understand this difference in UK.

So how is it possible these reminders to cause trouble or confusion? What they are meant to do is to make sure driver will not forget about oil change by reminding him at some point.

I'm not saying such systems are universally disabled by all dealers in the UK (I know for a fact that's not true). I'm just saying that I'm aware that quite a few dealers seem to prefer to disable the systems and 'customer confusion' has been sited as one reason. There's an example here of Honda users being somewhat concerned and confused by the system which proves both points.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=1729.0

Most UK motorists probably don't do enough mileage to need more than an annual service anyway. Those who do (short mileage drivers) probably wouldn't want the hassle and cost of getting their car serviced every few months anyway. For most of us I'd think that an annual service is a simpler system that works.

I started looking at this link, but I think there is a confusion.

They are talking about variable servicing indicator (based on driving style, where you drive - city, motorway, oil quality, etc.), while I am talking about fixed XXX km/miles.

Do I understand correct, that if my UK dealer disable the warning/counter, then I am supposed to change the oil once per year and how many miles I have driven in that year does not matter (even exceeding the allowed mileage)?

7 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

Do I understand correct, that if my UK dealer disable the warning/counter, then I am supposed to change the oil once per year and how many miles I have driven in that year does not matter?

As has already been posted twice:

Servicing in the UK is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Most UK motorists probably do less than 10k miles a year and consequently only need an annual service. I've occasionally done more miles in a year but not very often and not by very much. I just ignored it. Most dealers will issue a reminder every 12 months anyway. Unless you're wracking up significantly higher mileage or frequently ragging your engine by driving fast and accelerating hard there's no reason to care. Modern engines don't go wrong very often and when they do it's usually the electronics that fail and they don't get serviced anyway.

I reckon that for over 90% of UK motorists an annual service is all they need and all they care about.

I've done over 10,000 miles a year for as long as I can remember (but it's getting less now I've retired), at one time I needed more than 2 services a year, but it was never a problem.  When I got to about 750 miles before the next 10,000 point I'd email my service manager with a number of dates, he'd select one and job done.

The only car I've seen with a service indicator was a 2003 Nissan Micra my then partner used to own.

The 9,432 mile service interval in the App was discussed at length in another thread some time ago until someone spotted that 15,000 km = 9,432 miles!  So it seems the App has been programmed with this value, which gets converted to miles where the App is set to display miles.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For vehicles without service indicators (which previously have only been diesels), Toyota servicing, regardless of which country you reside in, is either time-based or mileage-based.

So if you do less than the stated mileage (UK 10K miles, Europe 15K km) in the year, the vehicle should be serviced annually. If you reach the stated mileage sooner within the year, the car should be serviced at that stage.

It get more confusing with cars like my Audi, which could either be on a fixed service schedule (10k/annual), generally for lower mileage / town driving, or a variable schedule, decided by the on-board computer, for higher mileage / motorway driving. 

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

It get more confusing with cars like my Audi, which could either be on a fixed service schedule (10k/annual), generally for lower mileage / town driving, or a variable schedule, decided by the on-board computer, for higher mileage / motorway driving. 

This is exactly what I am used to.

But please note, that despite which mode from the above the car is, you always get a reminder when the oil change is approaching.

And this is what I was expecting to find in the Corolla.

A reminder would be good. When I bought my Mercedes Vito, I asked the dealer twice when the service intervals are, and he insisted there is no service interval, the computer ASSYST will advise me. And it does. you can look up how many miles to service, but if you are not near, eventually it will suddenly announce 28 days to service, and count down from there. And it says if it is a minor (oil service) or major. I only rely on ASSYST, not a calendar.

Last year, family illness and bereavement meant I didn't know what year it was mostly, so I forgot MOT for Mercedes, all sorts of things! First time ever, I am very good with deadlines, but there are times when we can all do with a reminder.

• Like 1