Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help: RAV4 2006 (3rd Gen) Faults (4WD System, ABS System, Brake System)

RAV4FR

Hi; my UK 2006 RAV4 has been faultless - but now, when I start the car; it beeps and cycles through three faults:

Check 4WD System | Check ABS System | Check Brake System

I’m unsure what to do - it seems to drive oddly also; and so I don’t want to drive it to a garage or the like. I’d like to get it sorted on my drive if possible. 

Any thoughts / help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. Please help!

Check the brake light switch is working correctly,if that's ok is the Battery voltage correct and car charging as it should. If no luck with that you need to get any fault codes read. How does it seem to drive oddly? Hope this helps.

It will be behind the brake pedal itself.  I'm not a RAV4 owner, but this fault comes up on the forum from time to time.  The brake pedal switch is usually the cause, if I remember correctly.  It looks like this:-

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.dca5db0f42929def1e20f716f9e93379.jpg

As a suggestion, you could see if the brake lights actually come on when you press the pedal, I don't remember anyone suggesting that before to illustrate the fault.

• Thanks 1

If you look at the top of the brake pedal, under the dashboard you'll see it. If you want better access remove the lower dash panel, just fastened on with 2 screws.

The brake light switch on your rav4 sends information to various components in the vehicle, so it may still operate the brake lights, but still cause the problems you are experiencing. Perhaps a forum member with more  auto electrical knowledge than me could confirm.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again; we dismantled the switch and it was indeed a dodgy contact; cleaned it up and good as new. But now the error messages still show; do they need to be wiped ? If so, how? 

Thank you for any help!! 

Disconnect the Battery for 30 mins..

I had the same problem. I was told to try the switch. Before I bought a new one I just wanted to check how it fitted. In the process I must have jiggled it a bit. That cured the problem and I never had the issue again. I didn't need to reset anything either. Maybe cleaning the contacts didn't cure the problem, a new switch is only about £20. 

I took it to a Toyota main dealer - as the switch swap didn’t sort it; Battery disconnect didn’t either.

They’ve just called me to say that the error codes show that Both rear speed / ABS sensors are faulty and need replacing.

£670 !!! And no guarantee to fix issue... seems silly. 

What are the chances of both rear sensors going at the exact same time???

And is it a ripoff? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links