Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius PHEV Adaptive headlights.

RichSH

Whilst the LED headlights are excellent for their range and spread, I notice they can be a little slow to dip for on-coming traffic to the extent I get the occasional full-beam treatment in return. I can’t find anything relevant in the settings menu, so does anyone know whether the “sensitivity” can be adjusted?

I don't believe it can. I doubt it could be a simple sensitivity setting anyway, because it uses its camera to 'intelligently' decide when to move the shutters to block the beams. Sadly, it's not intelligent enough to be courteous.

• 1 month later...

I think the manual talks about this at page 712 if I aint got it all wrong.

712 9-2. Customization PRIUS PHV_OM_OM47A89E_(EE) ■ Automatic light control system (P. 341) ■ AHS (Adaptive High-beam System) (P. 345) *: Only high beam will be turned on or off. Function Default setting Customized setting Light sensor sensitivity Level 0 Level -2 to 2 – O O Time elapsed before headlights turn off (follow me home system) 30 seconds 60 seconds 90 seconds – – O 120 seconds 1 2 3 Function Default setting Customized setting Adaptive High-beam System On Off* — — O Clearance between a vehicle ahead and the shaded high beams Standard Narrow — — O Wide Vehicle speed at which the brightness and illuminated area adjustment of the high beams changes mode Approximately 120 km/h (75 mph) or more Approximately 100 km/h (63 mph) or more — — O Approximately 80 km/h (50 mph) or more Intensity adjustment of the high beams when driving around a curve (illuminates the area in the direction vehicle is turning more brightly) On Off — — O Projection distance adjustment of the low beams according to the distance to a preceding vehicle On Off — — O

The light sensor sensitivity adjustment you're referring to doesn't affect the sensitivity of the auto high beams to oncoming traffic. It's just the setting for how sensitive the auto dipped beam is at coming on when it's dark.

The problem of responding late to oncoming traffic is an inherent problem with all AHB systems, as witnessed by the increasing number of cars which are late to dip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

The light sensor sensitivity adjustment you're referring to doesn't affect the sensitivity of the auto high beams to oncoming traffic. It's just the setting for how sensitive the auto dipped beam is at coming on when it's dark.

The problem of responding late to oncoming traffic is an inherent problem with all AHB systems, as witnessed by the increasing number of cars which are late to dip.

Sorry. My bad