Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Aygo automatic gearbox judder

MM16

Hi all! My other half has a 2014 Aygo Xclusive with an automatic gearbox. Can't remember how long its done it for (had car since about June/July 2018), but when you pull off, usually most noticeable first thing in the morning when its cold, there's quite a noticeable judder from the gearbox (i assume) and the car is a bit jerky at low speeds until it sort of, warms up? Don't get me wrong, it's hardly the smoothest of gearboxes, but i'm not sure if it's normal for it do it (hope not), or whether the clutch is slipping, or something else. I've tried gently pulling away and pulling away with more throttle to see if that makes any difference but seems to still do it. Doesn't do it when the engine/gearbox is warm i don't think. 

Car has done just over 40k miles. Any one get any ideas before taking it to the dealer? Although it's one of those annoying things where you need the dealer to be able to replicate it, and if it doesn't do it when they have it, it's a waste of time 🤣

Other than that, it's a great little car! :)

Hi, I don't know what to tell you.

On the one hand, I own a 2017 Aygo with a manual gearbox. After starting off, the very first time I change gear (from 1st to 2nd), the gearchange is not smooth. It feels as if there was no oil at all in the gearbox. And a few meters further on, when I change gear again, it's fine! If it only occurs when the engine is cold, I would not worry.

On the other hand, it's true that many clutches have been reported to fail. The automatic gearbox is concerned as well, especially if driven in down.

Has the clutch ever been bled through/ the fluid renewed, there may be moisture in it

12 hours ago, flash22 said:

Has the clutch ever been bled through/ the fluid renewed, there may be moisture in it

Hello - no, not that I’m aware of. Certainly not since we’ve owned it 

As I'm getting more familiar with the Aygo, now that one has joined our family, if I ever decide to get one for myself, it will have to be a automatic.

From what year onwards did Toyota change the automatic gearbox to a better one....or haven't they and they are all the same ?

I've came across a few threads here and elsewhere and the auto gearbox is always mentioned.

The second generation Aygo (2014 onwards) came with the X-Shift transmission as the 'auto' option, which is a developed Multi Mode Transmission from the first generation Aygo. Both are manual transmissions with automated clutches. Seems to be fewer issues with the X-Shift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll have to just keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse over time.

thanks all.