Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake pedal/braking

mflorant

Thank you

I am going to change the pads as I did on most of my cars before with no problem, if nothing happens or it is not improving than I take it to a garage.

Hoping the very best result, fingers crossed.

Ps: is it common to change discs as well when changing pads? My discs are in perfect condition.

• Like 1

As long as you have the right discs and they are not scored it should be ok. 

Mine had new disc when I got her then 15k miles later they had to be skimmed as we have so much salt water in the air here discs get changed more often than normal.

Lorant   I don't know about a 2009 Avensis but for both my old one (2001) and this one (1999)  there are 3 different pads and you have to get the right ones.  Also some of the older ones had vented discs or not vented.... Both mine are vented on the front but some weren't. I hope they have made it easier with newer ones.

Check what it should have as with the bodge job they did with odd pads  it may also have the wrong ones fitted? It might be newer ones are standardised but certainly the old ones have a lot of different bits it might be rather than standard this is it ones. 

If your discs are fine and the right ones then changing the pads should be ok 

I hope changing the pads sorts out all the problems for you 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:39 PM, mflorant said:

Dó you know anything about nipparts brand? Discs and pads

Nipparts are a parts distributor and source from a variety of manufacturers.

Brake parts are important and not very expensive. It is better to buy from well known manufacturers. TMD Group are good - their brands include Mintex, Textar, Don etc.  Personally I have fitted hundred+ of sets of Mintex without a problem.

• Like 1

NEWS:

I have realized that my brake pedal during idle (being stationary at red signals) soakes, but if I switch off the engine after a few pushes becomes very hard and tight.

Ps: I have chosen Meyle pads and Ferodo discs

On 2/27/2020 at 1:42 PM, mflorant said:

NEWS:

I have realized that my brake pedal during idle (being stationary at red signals) soakes, but if I switch off the engine after a few pushes becomes very hard and tight.

Ps: I have chosen Meyle pads and Ferodo discs

That means the servo is working. Repeated pedal presses with the engine off, depletes the vacuum to the servo. When you switch back on, the pedal will be higher. The actual force needed to stop the car should be very light. I have driven other cars, and most need more pressure on the pedal to slow/stop the car. Remember that if new brakes have been installed, it takes a little while for the sharp bite to come in, as the brakes bed in. If there is no air in the brake fluid, the brake pedal will be responsive and consistent. Any air will have a soft pedal and it will sink a bit! 

• Like 1

Dears,

I have solved the problem!

Yesterday after changing the fronts discs and pads and also the rear pads and aligning correctly the pistons in the back, the brake became alive!

Braking power is amazing, no spongy brake etc. It brakes even just looking to the pedal 😊

Thank you for all your help 😚

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:34 AM, mflorant said:

Hi all! (2009 T27 CVT 2.0)

My brakes are behaving a bit strange. When braking I feel that I need to push the pedal almost to the bottom to have some brake power. So when I push the pedal it is not really having brake power on the top only starts braking lower. When slowing the car discontinuously slows down. 

There is no air or leakage in the system, I have checked so far. Brake pads and discs are new.

I am clueless, any suggestions? 

get 1 litre of brake fluid and bleed your brakes or get someone to bleed all 4 calipers on each wheel excess air in the system will give you a false or spongy pedal however if this does not solve the priblem id be looking what pads and discs were used cheap mid range or high end an inspection may be necessary its not uncommon for 2 to 3 week old pads and discs to glaze or become innefective 

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Maybe it sounds strange, but I try to describe my new issue.

When starting a ride (let's say after a night of parking in the garage) my brake feels when I am decelerating at low speed quite  intermittent. It seems that there are pauses in braking. But after a big press on the pedal the brake becomes back alive meaning there is no more discontinuity in braking.

Any advice or idea what can cause this?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a similar problem with my 2008 2.2 diesel estate  new discs and pads all round cleaned and installed properly, but, solid pedal when stood , engine off, start car press pedal  and if i keep pressibg it will travel to floor, but still got a brake, travel in car and got a brake but pedal travel is about half way, weird and they have been bled properly, so im thinking is master cylinder seals on way out? and can you buy a seal kit? i am the member but forgot pasword.john.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links