Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small white flakes (like bad dandruff 😟) on dash!!

ToNo10

From searching online I believe there is a growing number of complaints regarding Toyota cars with this fault.  My wife has a lovely 2010 Yaris, only done 24,000, and about every three weeks the dash has a sprinkling of white debris.  See attached picture to get an idea of the cause.  If you have found any solutions, other than the multi million pound solution outlined in the attached article, please post details 👍

thanks

72F22D24-CFF2-485F-BB1A-F1BC26CF28C5.png

I think you will find that these bits of white debris are human skin.

Dave

Certainly been covered before in previous topics. Bear in mind that the article linked to is an American company touting for business - so not exactly impartial.

Silly question when was the cabin filter last changed ? When was the last time the car was cleaned ?

It is an actual condition, it was confirmed on last service/inspection. The cabin filter was changed after the fault was spotted, I thought it may have been the cabin filter breaking down. But it continued.

Well the evaporator is dash out job 4-8 hours, I would think plus parts and A/C evacuate and Refill its £800-1500 job

If anybody comes up with an alternative/workaround, please post here.

Toyota do sell an evap cleaner, any drop in coolant level ? remove the fan, clean and inspect

No drop in coolant levels, they were topped up 6 months ago.  AC is spot on, just this !Removed! dust.

* does evaporate cleaner just clean inside the evap?  I think the aluminium dust is from the outside coating??? 

it's a foam cleaner with a long hose you feed into the duct work / drain, there are lots of different brands, if you feed the tube up the drain it may get up into the evap more

Don't bother with the foam cleaners, they're far too messy, the best and easiest way is to use Isopropyl (IPA) sprayed or pumped (via an extension tube) up the rubber drain tube and deep into the casing where the evaporator is located, have small tub ready to catch the product and debris as you extract the straw/tube. There wont be a lot of debris and the dusting will only return a couple of months later in any case.The IPA will not only wash out the loose particles but will sanitise the ac system far more effectively than any foam cleaner imo.

The drain tube can be found under the carpet on the far right hand side of the passenger side foot well near the centre console/ bulkhead.

Most of the ac cleaners are ipa based, IIRC the issue  isnt corrosion but an anti-fungal coating that was used

There are a few ways to attack the job without pulling the dash foam being one of them, spraying some medical grade disinfectant will do the trick too eg. suma bac, ect

Thanks for the advice.  But will that physically remove the particles?

The IPA solution will help to wash away the loose particles it comes into contact with, it is difficult to know if everywhere has been targeted but like I mentioned previously it will only return a few months later. The added advantage of using IPA is that it will neutralise 100% of the harmful bacteria that resides there as it contains 99.99% alcohol). I have also used the foam cleaners and found those to be very messy, these types tend to leave behind a residue which acts as a barrier trapping debris and bacteria, these foam type cleaners also claim to kill bacteria (the ones that I have tried did not mention how much of the bacteria it destroys) so it's down to personal preference. Pouring or spraying anything down the air vents doesn't sit comfortable with me.