Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima sevicing recommendations

estima-steve

Hi all

Having just bought a 2002 Estima petrol automatic, would like to give it a thorougher servicing.

eg: drop all the oils and lubes and replace filters, as there is no vehicle record book or proper servicing record.

So, what would everyone recommend that should be done to the vehicle to ensure it runs as best as it can, and what needs replacing, any belts etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😄

Depends on your mileage p.a.....I only do around 5k miles in mine so it gets one oil/filter change each year (5w30 fully synthetic)..plus checks on air and cabin filters..my garage checks brake fluid and coolant strength too.

I had Denso Iridium spark plugs fitted when I bought the vehicle (nearly 4 years ago now) and they should be good for at least 40/50k miles...being the V6 there's not much working room for the cam belt and plug change..your 2.4 is chain so doesn't require a cam belt change..but IMO it's always handy to keep and auxillary belt on board..just in case.

Should you get an EML at any time it's highly likely that an oxy sensor has failed/failing..you have 4 on your 2.4.

Neil has covered most things, also check transmission fluid should be a nice pink clear colour if it's black it will need changing. If coolant needs topping up if it's pink or red it's probably Toyota's own coolant don't mix with it  any other coolant.

Hi Neil and Tony, thanks for the replys 😄

Do you recommenced that all the fluids should be changed and all filters changed, as not sure when they were last done?

And is there anything else that could/should be changed?

Glad to hear that cam belt is chain, less change of failure!

47 minutes ago, estima-steve said:

Hi Neil and Tony, thanks for the replys 😄

Do you recommenced that all the fluids should be changed and all filters changed, as not sure when they were last done?

And is there anything else that could/should be changed?

Glad to hear that cam belt is chain, less chance of failure!

Hard to say...just check them and see what you feel...if the oil looks as though it's been in there some time, then change it (for peace of mind I'd do it anyway given the relatively small cost)..and the filter of course...take your air filter out and check it...you'll soon find out if it's been in there for some time..likewise your cabin filter.

Often they can be cleaned out with a blast of air if they aren't too bad....all the bits are easily available in the UK..eBay/ECP etc....many are the same as the UK/Euro Previa model.

As Tony says...good idea to check your ATF too..though you'll feel if there's anything amiss with it (rough, sluggish changes etc)......it's all pretty basic stuff you'd have to do/check on any car.

Thanks for the reply an advice Neil 😄

Is there a handbook or something similar that has a list of oils/lubes, filters, tyre pressures etc anywhere that you know of?

Ask Tony (TP49)...I think he got a basic manual from a Jap parts supplier in the Midlands.

I've sourced all my V6 info from the internet.

Hi TP49

"Ask Tony (TP49)...I think he got a basic manual from a Jap parts supplier in the Midlands."

Are you in possession of such a thing 😄

Hi Steve, the owners handbook is basic tells oil and coolant lightbulbs etc weight dimensions, tyres seating,instruments etc. I find it useful, I got mine off eBay from autojapspares of Coventry cost about £25.

image.jpeg

Hi again

Thank you for the link, it is appreciated.

Shall look into it 😄

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

As per your recommendation, have just received the estima owners manual from eBay, it is more substantial than I anticipated, thank you TP49 for the link.

Also have had the car fully serviced, at a reasonable cost too.

Thanks for all the advice so far 😄

Nice one...your Estima should now give you many miles of smiles.!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Peeps 👍

Out of interest, do you send your Estima to your local garage for servicing? 

Or do any of you attempt an oil and filter change yourselves? 

Do you have a brand of oil you stick to?? 

Cheers all, 

Russell 😀

Mine goes to my trusted garage that I've used for over 15 years for all our cars.

despite having been in the trade my days of crawling under/over cars are long gone....time to let someone else do it.!!...

I have always used a good quality 5w/30 long life fully synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles...that's once a year for me..

I think VVTi engines like very regular oil changes.

• Thanks 1

Ditto I do the same as Neil, and I have given up crawling all over cars.😀

• Thanks 1

Hi friends

I have an Estima 2008, the engine light is on, I have checked all fluids, a warning message says "Hybrid System Check", could it be the cause of the engine light on??

Any idea?? someone else with similar issue??

Pablo

Hi have you access to a code reader/ scanner to see what if any faults are recorded. Or it could be an advisory message for a system service.

I know nowt about hybrid models..but most seem to have a reset capability....have you tried that.?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again guys

What AT Fluid are you using in the Esti, and do you have any links for purchase please?

Toyota type IV..JWS 3309....ebay