Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catloc? are they worth it?

KellyK

Can anyone recommend the correct size security bolt to use for the CAT to engine fastening on an Auris gen2? Are stainless steel versions available?

Edited by BernieA
Added model

The bolt that you mention has an unusual shaft, so I don't think any off-the-shelf bolts would go straight on.  I couldn't find any similar bolts at all,  even ones that weren't security bolts.  The thread is a fine pitch M8, if I remember correctly.

This is the actual bolt, here with the spring it locates and pre-loads. 

P1130044.thumb.JPG.91ba8bc4e62194845567c9edfdb44897.JPG

But, there are  anti-tamper, bolt head covers that stop the oh-so-easy removal of these bolts without some further aggravation.  They were launched by Toyota about 15 months ago (roughly), at the same time as the tilt sensor option for the alarm.

I don't have the part number for them, but that description above should be enough to track them down at a Toyota dealer.  They were £15 supplied and fitted, I was told.  it's a very quick job if you have no other catalyst protection fitted at the time.

But, these cap/covers will not be plainly visible from underneath if you have some sort of catalyst protection plate fitted as well.  It would be nice if you could get the message across to let these filth know that they are installed.

HTH

• Like 2

Thanks for the great reply HTH. You have saved me a lot of searching. I'll give my local Toyota dealer a call tomorrow. My car is in a garage of my insurers choice right now having a replacement CAT and lambda sensor fitted after it was robbed of same last week. I will contact this garage also and see what they would charge to fit a cat cover and security bolts. I understand Toyota charge £250. 

I'm thinking this one looked quite decent. I reckon my local garage would fit it for <£50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Prius-Plus-Auris-Lexus-Catalytic-Converter-Security-Cover-sheet-Plate-/353344001626?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I would also use the locking bolts suggested earlier in the thread to secure the plate.

It is worth mentioning that the Toyota supplied security Catloc comes with an etching feature that is used by the dealer to 'engrave' your catalyst with a unique security number.  And also some stickers to put in your windows advising that a Catloc is fitted.  It is supplied at a discounted rate by Toyota, to help offset some of the grief you have already suffered.

Similarly, the price of the catalyst/exhaust is around 1/2 to 2/3 of what it was a couple of years back, for the same reason.  The official Catloc attaches using single-use shear-nuts, so as well as being difficult to get off if you need to (unlikely), then you need to buy some more of the same fasteners to fit it back on - so a special kit needed.  I imagine these kits are readily available from Toyota.

If you went the other way, and used the plate that you have linked to from eBay, then the security bolts that TonyHSD suggests are actually a bit longer than you need on the Auris gen2 (he has an Auris gen1).  I used identical bolts, but 5mm shorter, and even then they were still a little longer than the original bolts that came out of the car.  But I don't think the longer bolts would cause a problem.  I got a set (4) of the slightly shorter security bolts for £14 off eBay.  Old stock, perhaps.

When the eBay-style plate is fitted, it sometimes needs bending with a centrally formed front/back crease to stop the lowest hanging point of the exhaust from intermittently, lightly, knocking on it.  Sometimes, this clunking is only evident on 'spirited' acceleration.  So, you may have to return to the fitter to get this just-so, it doesn't necessarily mean that they've done it wrong.

Best of luck.

12 hours ago, BernieA said:

Thanks for the great reply HTH. You have saved me a lot of searching. I'll give my local Toyota dealer a call tomorrow. My car is in a garage of my insurers choice right now having a replacement CAT and lambda sensor fitted after it was robbed of same last week. I will contact this garage also and see what they would charge to fit a cat cover and security bolts. I understand Toyota charge £250. 

I'm thinking this one looked quite decent. I reckon my local garage would fit it for <£50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Prius-Plus-Auris-Lexus-Catalytic-Converter-Security-Cover-sheet-Plate-/353344001626?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I would also use the locking bolts suggested earlier in the thread to secure the plate.

Hi, debaging the car can also help against theft. Just remove all hybrid badges from the car and the blue background of the rear Toyota emblem., makes the car looks like it’s just standard Toyota not hybrid. , easily cause confusion and hopefully thieves won’t stop by next time. 

Thanks, but the front Badge on the hybrid cannot be removed as it includes sensors. A casual glance inside at the centre console will also make it crystal clear that its a hybrid.

31 minutes ago, BernieA said:

Thanks, but the front badge on the hybrid cannot be removed as it includes sensors. A casual glance inside at the centre console will also make it crystal clear that its a hybrid.

Correct, the idea is to make the car looks like non hybrid from far and thieves drive away, once they stop they can always find out it’s a hybrid unless you cover the stick with blanket, I do that sometimes, and glue fake numbers from non hybrid model( illegal) cloning a car. 
You can leave your front Badge intact and modify all others but that’s entirely up to you. I had done it as first step and I wish I did it before we had one of ours targeted, that alone might have save it. 

I got one installed from a toyota dealership back in october. I live in east london where catloc theft is supposed to be pretty bad, so far so good.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, BernieA said:

Thanks, but the front badge on the hybrid cannot be removed as it includes sensors. A casual glance inside at the centre console will also make it crystal clear that its a hybrid.

Is this correct?

(I think that de-badging is a pertinent &  prudent first step).

A) Does the front toyota front Badge (Auris MK1) have sensors within it? 

B) If it were to be switched out to a non-blue Badge - what would be involved.

The second generation Auris with Toyota Safety Sense has a sensor in the front Badge

19 hours ago, Kojac said:

Is this correct?

(I think that de-badging is a pertinent &  prudent first step).

A) Does the front toyota front badge (Auris MK1) have sensors within it? 

B) If it were to be switched out to a non-blue badge - what would be involved.

Gen 1 no sensors in front badge 
check pictures below what you need to do

AA72699F-7AE6-4497-B287-C0E1E8F63401.jpeg

B06B09D5-BF4B-4635-B53B-DF54D989A752.jpeg

C9200A26-2F11-42FF-B846-4A49CE937AD5.jpeg

Hi anyone knows if there is a decent catloc for Toyota Prius hybrid, 2005 model as mine was stolen with the Toyota catloc second time please

23 minutes ago, paulprakash said:

Hi anyone knows if there is a decent catloc for Toyota Prius hybrid, 2005 model as mine was stolen with the Toyota catloc second time please

Just type Prius catalytic converter in eBay and there are plenty of choices, watch for expensive ones 180-300£ these are not just the plate but fully fitted with metal wires and security bolts and god knows what more, after that nobody can take it apart even when the car goes for recycling after end of its life.👍😊👌

@TonyHSD do you mean ones like these on eBay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-GUARD-CAT-CLAMP-LOCK-TOYOTA-CH-R-PREVIA-RAV-4-YARIS-COROLLA/264942971958?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001&pageci=abbb2f1b-0df9-452e-a1df-10436ba17762

I too have concerns about cat theft and might consider this although the seller is about two hours away. 

Can anyone recommend any in South coast?

Thanks

Haha just realised I said cat theft in my last post. Just to clarify I meant catalytic converter theft not the feline kind. 😊

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rolando1 said:

@TonyHSD do you mean ones like these on eBay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-GUARD-CAT-CLAMP-LOCK-TOYOTA-CH-R-PREVIA-RAV-4-YARIS-COROLLA/264942971958?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001&pageci=abbb2f1b-0df9-452e-a1df-10436ba17762

I too have concerns about cat theft and might consider this although the seller is about two hours away. 

Can anyone recommend any in South coast?

Thanks

Hi, you will need this one instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284139255207

then you can get it fix as diy project or in a garage that you know and use. I personally have one from this vendor and although it’s only 1.5mm thick does look well made, sturdy and fitted myself easily. I also got some security bolts fitted too. For me is enough protection and I will not let some garage do that ugly job with wires underneath as if for any reason I need to work on the car or garage needs to will be a nightmare or full stop. 👍

90441913-95CD-47E4-8698-7E8BF687DA80.jpeg

That's a lot cheaper but unfortunately I'm not much of a diy'er if I start drilling most likely will drill through the brake pipes or something.

Would most backstreet garages be able to fit this quite easily? 

35 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

That's a lot cheaper but unfortunately I'm not much of a diy'er if I start drilling most likely will drill through the brake pipes or something.

Would most backstreet garages be able to fit this quite easily? 

Yes, definitely. Other member mentioned if I remember correctly been charged  only £15 for fixing on a Prius that is basically the same as your Corolla. 👍

Dealer said I can pick up tomorrow if I wanted so will most likely do that. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

Dealer said I can pick up tomorrow if I wanted so will most likely do that. 

I am not aware of Corollas been targeted yet, but you never know and as not too expensive you can always add as extra measure against theft. 

• Thanks 2

That's good to know Corolla's not targeted but still like you say in the other post it can be avoided if the government wanted to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid and bought the eBay cat plate. On My Auris there is no drilling to do. Holes in cat plate pre made and plates on car removed and refitted. Cost me £15 in labour to have the plate fitted. A few days later it was rattling badly against exhaust box. Bent it slightly and adjusted plate and silent since. I did have 2x16mm diameter steel bars welded onto the plates edges, so may of distorted a bit. Cost £70 all in fitted.

James👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, Gerg said:

It is worth mentioning that the Toyota supplied security Catloc comes with an etching feature that is used by the dealer to 'engrave' your catalyst with a unique security number.  And also some stickers to put in your windows advising that a Catloc is fitted.  It is supplied at a discounted rate by Toyota, to help offset some of the grief you have already suffered.

Similarly, the price of the catalyst/exhaust is around 1/2 to 2/3 of what it was a couple of years back, for the same reason.  The official Catloc attaches using single-use shear-nuts, so as well as being difficult to get off if you need to (unlikely), then you need to buy some more of the same fasteners to fit it back on - so a special kit needed.  I imagine these kits are readily available from Toyota.

If you went the other way, and used the plate that you have linked to from eBay, then the security bolts that TonyHSD suggests are actually a bit longer than you need on the Auris gen2 (he has an Auris gen1).  I used identical bolts, but 5mm shorter, and even then they were still a little longer than the original bolts that came out of the car.  But I don't think the longer bolts would cause a problem.  I got a set (4) of the slightly shorter security bolts for £14 off eBay.  Old stock, perhaps.

When the eBay-style plate is fitted, it sometimes needs bending with a centrally formed front/back crease to stop the lowest hanging point of the exhaust from intermittently, lightly, knocking on it.  Sometimes, this clunking is only evident on 'spirited' acceleration.  So, you may have to return to the fitter to get this just-so, it doesn't necessarily mean that they've done it wrong.

Best of luck.

I bought the plate I mentioned earlier from eBay. I like that its 3mm thick whereas some are as thin as 1.5mm. The listing has ended now but this looks to be the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-converter-Anti-Theft-plate-for-Toyota-Prius-Prius-Plus-Auris-3mm-Thick-/233878234342?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I also bought a set of locking wheel bolts from eBay (Stoplock WLVP34 - M12 x 1.25 x 34) which were a bargain at £13. Note: If you buy an alternative make sure that the back of the head is flat rather than tapered. On my picture they look as though they have a hex head but these are just plastic bolt covers that came with the kit. My local garage mechanic said he had to fit washers behind the plate to stop the pipe from making contact during acceleration. He didn't want to charge me for the work but I insisted on paying him £20.

I also bought some stickers for my windows which will do no harm and cost £2.38

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-CAT-Catalytic-Converter-Secured-Car-Signs-Alarm-GPS-Security-Stickers-Taxi-/230885087530?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Just to top it all I have installed a Ring doorbell which gives me an alarm and records a video whenever there is motion on my drive.

I did buy a couple of these M8 armoured bolt covers for the Cat manifold connection but unfortunately the bolts need a 14mm socket and the M8 size is for a 13mm AF head and the M10 size for 17mm so no good. Though one eBay seller did claim he had the right size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECURITY-ARMOUR-RING-FOR-HEXAGON-HEX-BOLTS-NUTS-FIXINGS-TEMPER-PROOF-SAFETY-/184040917831?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I'm hoping that all of these things together will give me enough time to don my crash helmet and pick up my baseball bat at the front door.

20210310_114534.jpg

• Like 1