Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cat thief killed when jack fails

Steve Whits

It's sad just to steal something from a car. He is a one man band, usually they come at least in pairs so if any problem the other can help as well as look out during theft. 

Does this means the scrap yard owner now need to ensure the cars hand brakes must be engaged to stop the car rolling. A new law will be introduced soon to prevent thieves from getting killed.

Expect the late thiefs family to now sue the scrapyard on H & S grounds.🙄

Same old story, criminals have rights victims don't. Serves him right shouldn't have been there.

• Like 1

if you play with fire expect to get your fingers burnt

no sympathy

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 8:45 AM, Perfection said:

A new law will be introduced soon to prevent thieves from getting killed.

I'd be fine with that, as long as the new law included a requirement for all thieves to submit a full written risk assessment to their local police station at least a calendar month before their planned crime, detailing exactly what they were going to steal, on what date and time, and full names of all accomplices, fences etc. Thieves would also need full public liability insurance to compensate their victims for at least double the value of all goods taken. The penalty for not submitting the report on time, or inaccuracies in it, would be hanging..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I read this yesterday from this page - https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18197902.thief-crushed-death-car-trying-steal-catalytic-converter/
Also I have read somewhere the police caught a thief red handed. 
If I bought a Toyota hybrid or any car like the Honda Jazz which are high target cars, I will look for any form of fitted protection, to at least slow or deter the thieves. 
I read on this forum that an Auris owner wants to de-badge his car. Good idea so long as the thieves have never targeted a petrol or diesel version!

Hi hope things change and the thieves are caught more often.  

De-badging may not work. The thief can check your registration within seconds to confirm a hybrid or not.

4 minutes ago, Perfection said:

De-badging may not work. The thief can check your registration within seconds to confirm a hybrid or not.

True, but I suspect they just drive around looking for the Hybrid Badge, although on car's like the Prius that are Hybrid only, it's less likely to work.

That said, quite often these criminals are not the brightest.

• Like 1

This crime wave which is a big blight on hybrid ownership can be cut down dramatically if the police were to put up sting operation using cars as bait across the country to put these criminals away. 

Unfortunately so short of police numbers, doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. 

• Like 3

Toyota could also cut these thefts dramatically by just wiring the exhaust up to the traction Battery on all of their hybrids. It could become quite irritating however to return to your car each morning and find the smouldering remains of yet another theiving ***** underneath it.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links