Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius PHEV 2015 (gen1) / VS / Prius PHEV 2017 (gen 2) ?

HSDish

We got an Prius PHEV 2015 (gen 1) that we really like and we think it pairs/match well and feels "familiar" with our Prius + 2017 (pictured below) but...

our PHEV do manage some 18/20 km from one fully charged Battery and it warm up the car with petrol so...

Now I've had a quick test with an used Prius PHEV 2017 (with "solar roof") and as far as I know the newer PHEV should ba able to go some 45/50 km from one fully charged Battery and will warm up the car with electrisity which we think is an advantage , aspecially on shorter trips ( where the petrol engine will start some times in our PHEV 2015).

I realize that we wont get our money back in terms of  lower fuel costs if we swap our 2015 to an 2017 but I think there will be some environment gain/ lower pollution.

Tips, thoughts and experiences  about Prius PHEV 2015 (gen1) / VS / Prius PHEV 2017 (gen2) is very appreciated

DSC_0774 (2)_LI.jpg

DSC_0775 (2)_LI.jpg

Boot space in the Gen 2 PHV is awful, besides the cost (€37k new in Ireland!) it really puts me off the car. Besides that it seems like a nice bus - better ride, handling, interior, heat pump, etc.

Regarding the heating, I believe the ICE still kicks in for front windscreen demisting.

Some say the LCD instrument cluster and HUD are harder to see in sunlight compared to the VFDs in the older Prius.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

Boot space in the Gen 2 PHV is awful, besides the cost (€37k new in Ireland!) it really puts me off the car. Besides that it seems like a nice bus - better ride, handling, interior, heat pump, etc.

Regarding the heating, I believe the ICE still kicks in for front windscreen demisting.

Some say the LCD instrument cluster and HUD are harder to see in sunlight compared to the VFDs in the older Prius.

Thanks a lot.

Our main goal with the PHEV is to transport one (driver) or two persons for shorter trips ( about 2 - 60 km) so boot space isn't that crusial in that car.

We use our Prius + for transporting family, wheelchair and a small dog plus luggage for longer trips.

Think our PHEV gen1 felt a little bit easier to enter and exit than the gen 2 though (ours is about 20mm higher .maybe that small difference helps)

Nor the Gen 1 or gen 2 is as comfortable as our Prius + though.

Our PHEV gen 1 was much more comfortable to drive (even sound wise) since we put on new Goodyear ultragrip Ice 2 friction (whinter) wheels.

Think there was ( a bit noisey) TOYO wheels on the gen 2 that I tested.

And as You say... Dont know if its worth that extra cost

One more advantage with gen 2 came to my mind...

You can charge at chargestations with fixed cables (as below)

They nearly nerever has type 1(as in Prius phev gen1)  contakt but often type 2 (as int phev gen 2) at least in Sweden

eon-laddstolpe-1200-1748-ny-teknik.jpg

Whilst it would obviously go a lot further than your Gen1, given that (if I recall correctly) you live in Sweden, I'd say getting 50km from a charge would be a very rare occasion. Based on my experience, the outside temp needs to be at least 14-15 degrees to get near that, and that's with committed eco-driving at speeds below 60mph.

Range falls off as the temperature drops, dramatically so once it's below 10 degrees. Once it goes below 3-4 degrees, range won't be above 20 miles. 15-16 miles is probably the best you might get once below zero.

It is possible to heat the car without the engine but, as already mentioned, the ICE kicks in if you push the front demist button. You can pre-heat when plugged in, but for some unfathomable reason the pre-heat function fogs up the inside because it doesn't activate the dehumidifying part of the air con! It clears slowly once you push Start, but if you need to get going quickly you'll need the ICE running.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

Whilst it would obviously go a lot further than your Gen1, given that (if I recall correctly) you live in Sweden, I'd say getting 50km from a charge would be a very rare occasion. Based on my experience, the outside temp needs to be at least 14-15 degrees to get near that, and that's with committed eco-driving at speeds below 60mph.

Range falls off as the temperature drops, dramatically so once it's below 10 degrees. Once it goes below 3-4 degrees, range won't be above 20 miles. 15-16 miles is probably the best you might get once below zero.

It is possible to heat the car without the engine but, as already mentioned, the ICE kicks in if you push the front demist button. You can pre-heat when plugged in, but for some unfathomable reason the pre-heat function fogs up the inside because it doesn't activate the dehumidifying part of the air con! It clears slowly once you push Start, but if you need to get going quickly you'll need the ICE running.

Thanks a lot!

Yes You're right 

(cuted from another topic)

"Im living in Sweden and at my place we have about 3 months 0f +2 C and below., about 4 months with +10 c and below, about 2 months with +10-20 C and just about 3 months with 20 c and warrmer..

The sunny weather for about/average 1 hour a day for 2 months , 2 h/d for 2 months, 3 h/d for 2 month, 5 h/d for 2 months, and 8 h/d for about 4 months

Rain or snow about/average 1mm a day for 2months, 2mm/d for 5 months and for about 3mm/d for 5 moths."

There is some serious considering...

Obviously our wheather/temperature affect even our gen 1 which can get about 18 km (about 11.3 gb miles I think) from one charge in the Whinter (at the best) and about 21 km (about 13.8 miles I think) at summer at the best

Someone near me who had a first Gen Prius plug-in told me he was only getting 8 miles in the winter, and 12-12 in the summer.

• Thanks 1

er, I mean 10-12 (fingers hadn't warmed up when I typed that)!

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Someone near me who had a first Gen Prius plug-in told me he was only getting 8 miles in the winter, and 12-12 in the summer.

Thanks!

Our gen 1 got an block heater that we used every night and we parked our car in our (cold) garage every night to. Then its been an quite warm whinter with rarely less than 5-7 C (we bought our gen1 in june 2019 so we just had it for one whinter). Maybe this has helped to managed about 18 km (about 11.3 gb miles I think)

On 2/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, PeteB said:

Electric mpkW depends on the same factors as petrol mpg.  Driving in rain/wind, tyre pressures, aircon use, starting and stopping, etc.  My gen1 pip gets better mpkW in the summer but if conditions are right i can still get 12 miles on a full charge in winter.  

• Thanks 1

We drive quite carefull and get about 18 km (about 11.3 gb miles I think) from one charge in the Whinter (at the best) and about 21 km (about 13.8 miles I think) at summer at the best, from our Prius PHEV 2015 gen1 but... since one mothts ago we need to drive our car some 60 km (about 37.28 miles I think) four times a week, without charging.

That's why we 're thinking about to (perhaps) wap out gen 1 for an gen 2

(like our gen1 otherwise, as said above)

On 1/31/2020 at 4:55 PM, HSDish said:

One more advantage with gen 2 came to my mind...

You can charge at chargestations with fixed cables (as below)

They nearly nerever has type 1(as in Prius phev gen1)  contakt but often type 2 (as int phev gen 2) at least in Sweden

The public chargers with fixed cables are generally rapid chargers, usually capable of 50+ kW charging. Since the Prius PHV can only charge at a max of 3.3 kW, by using these you would be seen as a nuisance to BEV owners who have rapid charging ability. I wouldn't recommend it. It's available with ChaDeMo rapid charging as an optional extra, but in Japan only.

The Gen 1 PHV can also use these chargers with an adaptor, but with the even slower charging rate you'd be even more of a nuisance.

I only get about 8.5 miles (14 km) range indicated with mine right now in winter (average temps 5-7 degrees), but I suspect the all-season tyres are not helping.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, QuantumFireball said:

The public chargers with fixed cables are generally rapid chargers, usually capable of 50+ kW charging. Since the Prius PHV can only charge at a max of 3.3 kW, by using these you would be seen as a nuisance to BEV owners who have rapid charging ability. I wouldn't recommend it. It's available with ChaDeMo rapid charging as an optional extra, but in Japan only.

The Gen 1 PHV can also use these chargers with an adaptor, but with the even slower charging rate you'd be even more of a nuisance.

I only get about 8.5 miles (14 km) range indicated with mine right now in winter (average temps 5-7 degrees), but I suspect the all-season tyres are not helping.

Thanks again.

But can I charge an gen 2 from an 45+ kW rapid charger, if I can stand the angy eyes from others, without damaging the Battery?

If so... I will check out that adaptor to gen 1 as well.

Thought of one more thing …

As said above, we now need to drive our gen 1 car some 60 km trip (about 37.28 miles I think) four times a week,(regularly) without charging and most of that distance are at highway speed 110 km/h ( 68.3 miles/h I think) .

Our gen 1 just manage to be driven at about 80 km/h speed ( 49.7 miles /h I think) at EV mode (battery)  but as I can understand gen 2 can manage to be driven at about 120 km/h (74.5 miles /h) and thats an advantage

18 hours ago, HSDish said:

But can I charge an gen 2 from an 45+ kW rapid charger, if I can stand the angy eyes from others, without damaging the battery?

The car will only draw the amount of power it needs. It's the same as your mains sockets at home - you can use the same type of socket to power a 5W USB power supply as you would a 3 kW kettle or tumble dryer or whatever.

But just looking at some rapid chargers in Sweden it seems they typically charge 1 SEK per minute - which is reasonable enough if you're charging at 40-50 kW, but at 2-3 kW it sounds like a massive waste of money!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

The car will only draw the amount of power it needs. It's the same as your mains sockets at home - you can use the same type of socket to power a 5W USB power supply as you would a 3 kW kettle or tumble dryer or whatever.

But just looking at some rapid chargers in Sweden it seems they typically charge 1 SEK per minute - which is reasonable enough if you're charging at 40-50 kW, but at 2-3 kW it sounds like a massive waste of money!

Got Your point there. So rapid charging isn't any good idea neighter for gen 2 or gen 1. No advantage with type 2 socket in the gen 2 car in this matter

Thanks again. Grateful 

• Like 1

Tested an ”demo” gen 2 2017 with solar roof, at my local Toyota dealer today again (same as last Friday)

And it’s a realy nice car. A bit harder to enter/exit , to me,  than our gen 1 but…

Possible to drive longer range on EV mode and at higher speeds and it got an heat pump.

But…  (again) it’s a lot more expensive , Have to pay about 160.000 sek / 12.872 GBP if we trade in our gen 1 2015

Wish there was some way to ”hot up” the EV mode/ Battery capacity in our gen 1.

Maybe something like this …

http://www.enginer.us 

but that would probably affect insurance and Toyota guarantee

I'm not aware of any upgrades available for the Gen 1 Plug-in, only PHEV conversions for the standard Prius. Maybe in time there will be more available.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, QuantumFireball said:

I'm not aware of any upgrades available for the Gen 1 Plug-in, only PHEV conversions for the standard Prius. Maybe in time there will be more available.

Do You know any more PHEV conversions for the standard Prius (do You think it will work even for the Prius + ) than this http://www.enginer.us 

I've e mailed the "enginer" company and asked 

It's not something I know too much about. There are a few companies in the US but they come and go depending on the market, I think there were incentives for PHEV conversions in some states (grants, HOV lane use, or something else) but this changes.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, QuantumFireball said:

It's not something I know too much about. There are a few companies in the US but they come and go depending on the market, I think there were incentives for PHEV conversions in some states (grants, HOV lane use, or something else) but this changes.

OK. perhaps to risky (and maybe expensive to).

I did e mail http://www.enginer.us Thursday 6 feb. 19:37 local swedish time, and asked them about more info.

” Tested an ”demo” gen 2 2017 with solar roof, at my local Toyota dealer today again (same as last Friday)

And it’s a realy nice car. A bit harder to enter/exit , to me,  than our gen 1 but…

Possible to drive longer range on EV mode and at higher speeds and it got an heat pump.

But…  (again) it’s a lot more expensive , Have to pay about 160.000 sek / 12.872 GBP if we trade in our gen 1 2015

As said above, we now need to drive our gen 1 car some 60 km trip (about 37.28 miles I think) four times a week,(regularly) without charging and most of that distance are at highway speed 110 km/h ( 68.3 miles/h I think) .

Our gen 1 just manage to be driven at about 80 km/h speed ( 49.7 miles /h I think) at EV mode (battery)  but as I can understand gen 2 can manage to be driven at about 120 km/h (74.5 miles /h) and thats an advantage

Have looked around at some (more than my local) Toyota dealers and seen that it’s possible to get an used gen 2 PHEV 2017/18  if I pay about 100.000 sek / 8.034.42 GBP and trade in our gen 1 PHEV 2015

So… there’s a lot of considerations to be done

Sorry!

Apologize. I calculated wrong. 

Just counted  that charge indicator (pic below) I didn't count that ICE kicked in while driving that 18.1 km.

Looking at EV drivin ratio(pic below) I realise that our car just get about 8.5 miles (14 km) range at temps 5-7 degrees.

Our car has Goodyear ultragrip Ice 2 friction (friction/whinter) tyres.

Unfortunately our car went fro 22 % to 16 % EV driving since we need to drive our gen 1 car some 60 km trip (about 37.28 miles I think) four times a week,(regularly) without charging and most of that distance are at highway speed 110 km/h ( 68.3 miles/h I think) for some months now

Prius PHEV mätare laddning DSC_1024 (2).JPG

Prius PHEV ev drive DSC_1022 (2).JPG

Changing 2 of my 4 tyres from summer to all-season seemed to make a marked reduction in EV range, but if you need winter tyres for winter then I guess there's not much that can be done there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, QuantumFireball said:

Changing 2 of my 4 tyres from summer to all-season seemed to make a marked reduction in EV range, but if you need winter tyres for winter then I guess there's not much that can be done there.

In Sweden You have to use winter tyres from about dec- march , if it's " winter state of the road"( freeze) and it is now and then. Not so much this year though