Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius PHEV 2015 (gen1) / VS / Prius PHEV 2017 (gen 2) ?

HSDish

On 3/10/2020 at 8:42 PM, Ten Ninety said:

If you do get a chance to see whether the headlights respond when turning the wheel to light up the corner, and whether you get anything other than standard dipped beam below 37mph, that would be interesting to know.

You make a good point about the system possibly being disabled by a previous owner, but it is actually working above 37mph. I also got confirmation from Toyota UK that this is how it's 'supposed' to work in the UK, despite the UK sales brochure suggesting otherwise.

Now I've tested an used White Pearl Metallic 2017 Prius PHEV , at evening, in the dark, and I couldnt detect anything going on other than standard dipped beam below 37mph.

Have'nt checked the climate prep option yet, though.

Like the car, so I think I will trade in my Gen 1 for this White Pearl Metallic 2017 Prius PHEV Gen 2.

Will deside tomorrow

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, HSDish said:

Now I've tested an used White Pearl Metallic 2017 Prius PHEV , at evening, in the dark, and I couldnt detect anything going on other than standard dipped beam below 37mph.

Have'nt checked the climate prep option yet, though.

Like the car, so I think I will trade in my Gen 1 for this White Pearl Metallic 2017 Prius PHEV Gen 2.

Will deside tomorrow

Thank you for testing - at least we know the Euro spec is no different now for the headlights.

White pearl is a fabulous colour for these cars, it really sets off the shape.

• Like 1

Tested that used White pearl Prius Plug In 2017 (Gen 2) last Wednesday through Thursday morning and drove for about 4 hours in total. Did a lot of enter- exit -enter to really test.The car was great in many ways ( heat pump and more than twice as long range on pure electricity. in 6/7 plus degrees and you can run it on pure electricity at 120 km / h , mine goes only at about 85 km / h , quite a lot of equipment to  but ... 

Sadly enough I actually had (a little) pain in my back on Thursday morning so I don't actually think I dare to take a chance on swapping/ trading our Prius 2015 PHEV gen 1. 

Our gen 1 is 20mm  higher and has a little higher mounted chairs and it actually does quite a lot.

Is there any difference in max load weight between gen 1 and gen 2.

I believe my gen 1 is allowed to load max 327 kg ( about 720 lb 15.6 oz I think)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 12:33 PM, HSDish said:

Tested that used White pearl Prius Plug In 2017 (Gen 2) last Wednesday through Thursday morning and drove for about 4 hours in total. Did a lot of enter- exit -enter to really test.The car was great in many ways ( heat pump and more than twice as long range on pure electricity. in 6/7 plus degrees and you can run it on pure electricity at 120 km / h , mine goes only at about 85 km / h , quite a lot of equipment to  but ... 

Sadly enough I actually had (a little) pain in my back on Thursday morning so I don't actually think I dare to take a chance on swapping/ trading our Prius 2015 PHEV gen 1. 

Our gen 1 is 20mm  higher and has a little higher mounted chairs and it actually does quite a lot.

As Said above. ... thoug thé gen2 was a verry Nice car in many ways it was a bit to low för me to enter/exit comfortably ( cause me some problem with ny back) l,ve decided to not Trade in ny gen1 so...I Will keep my Prius phev and plus family för some time

Prius PHEV och +.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here know if the front doors are longer/wider on Prius PHEV Gen 2 than on Gen 1 ?

Our Prius PHEv 2015 Gen 1 got 109 cm (about 42 29/32 in I think) wide (long) frontdoors and 102 ( 40 5/32 in) rear doors.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, HSDish said:

Does anyone here know if the front doors are longer/wider on Prius PHEV Gen 2 than on Gen 1 ?

Our Prius PHEv 2015 Gen 1 got 109 cm (about 42 29/32 in I think) wide (long) frontdoors and 102 ( 40 5/32 in) rear doors.

I measured an 2017 PHEV now and it's totaly 10 cm ( 3.937 in I think) longer than the orginal Prius and the front doors on Prius PHEV 2017 are 11cm (about 43.700 in) wide and the rear doors are 105 cm (41.338 in) wide. So a bit wider than our Prius 2015 PHEV.

Our Prius PHEv 2015 Gen 1 got 109 cm (about 42.913 in I think) wide (long) frontdoors and 102 ( 40.157 in) rear doors and our car is about 16cm (6.299 in) shorter than PHEV 2017

Made a new testdrive with the Prius PHEV 2017 today. Tried to raisen the driver seat to maximun hegith , just so I could se the ”fuel” and ”ready” icons on the dashboard.

Pushed the seat as far back so the seats backrest leveled the B pillar (do You say so in English? ) and enter the car where the hight under the roof is highest.

Felt better to enter /exit ( will se what my back/hips/discs says tomorrow)

Drove the 2017 PHEV  47,5 km ( 29.906 miles I think) on pure EV in outside temperature 10 C degrees and AC on 20 C degrees.

Drove the same trip and at the same circumstances with my 2015 PHEV and came 16 km (9.166 miles I think) on pure EV ( didn’t count when ICE kicked in)

So… the 2017 PHEV gen 2 managed three times longer on Pure EV

My car caused a problem after a few months of regular use, with severe pain very low down at the base of the spine. I only realised it was the car after going on holiday for two weeks and being 'cured' after a few days of not driving it. On return, I adjusted the seat back so it was much further upright than I would usually have it, and that solved the problem although my shoulders now ache a bit instead.

I also have a device that I can clip into the door hook on the frame after opening the door, which then acts as a handle to lever myself out (or in). The hook is solid enough to take your whole weight which makes it a lot easier to lower yourself into the seat, or haul yourself out again. Not as good as buying a taller car, but still some help.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

My car caused a problem after a few months of regular use, with severe pain very low down at the base of the spine. I only realised it was the car after going on holiday for two weeks and being 'cured' after a few days of not driving it. On return, I adjusted the seat back so it was much further upright than I would usually have it, and that solved the problem although my shoulders now ache a bit instead.

I also have a device that I can clip into the door hook on the frame after opening the door, which then acts as a handle to lever myself out (or in). The hook is solid enough to take your whole weight which makes it a lot easier to lower yourself into the seat, or haul yourself out again. Not as good as buying a taller car, but still some help.

Made one moore 1.5 h test trip with the PHEV 2017 gen 2 and did a lot of enter/exit yesterday and... as said before, very nice car but...sadly enough, my back/spine/disc reacts negative.

I've driven our PHEV 2015 Gen 1 without back/spine/disc problems for ten months now so I think it's a riscy and maybe direct bad idea to swap to a Gen 2 PHEV.

23 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

Thanks a lot for sharing Your experiences.

Is it possible to get a picture of Yor device?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there's a few scrapes, mainly from when I first started using it. With a bit of practice it can be done with less wiggling around, which reduces the potential for damage.

Anyway, I consider a few scratches on some paint nobody sees to be a price worth paying for my back's health. Others may disagree.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

Yes, there's a few scrapes, mainly from when I first started using it. With a bit of practice it can be done with less wiggling around, which reduces the potential for damage.

Anyway, I consider a few scratches on some paint nobody sees to be a price worth paying for my back's health. Others may disagree.

Thanks again.

Maybe some kind of stick on plastic , stuck to the door frame , do the trick and protect the paint/laquer

• 3 weeks later...

The Prius Plug In Gen 2 (a little bit to low for my weak back, overweighted and untrained body) got me motivated to try to lose some (of mine) body weight , decrease my beer consumption and start regular (several times a week) exercise and long walks. Just started and have lost 1,5 kg ( 3.3 lb I think).

Maybe this will favor /easen to enter /exit (exit is my main problem) the Prius Plug In Gen 2 which would suite my/our drive scedule for one and two person trips in a nice way. (even better than our Prius PHEV 2015 Gen 1, though it’s a nice car as well)

Keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, QuantumFireball said:

I use the remote AC button on mine in the summer, but with no heating (without the ICE running) in winter it's not that useful.

Now I got used to use the remote AC button. Lovely feature when its hot in the summer !

• 3 months later...

Are both Prius Plug In gen 1 and gen 2 fitted with the same (3.3 kW ?) onboard charger ?

On 11/20/2020 at 2:16 PM, HSDish said:

Are both Prius Plug In gen 1 and gen 2 fitted with the same (3.3 kW ?) onboard charger ?

Not sure.

Gen1 has type 1 connector max charge 10A.  Gen2 has type 2 connector max charge 16A.  Gen1 also charges the 12V Battery when on charge but the gen2 doesn't seem to. Gen2 can also limit charging to 8A.  But at the end of the day the gen2 might still use the same basic 3.6kW charging tech as the gen1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johalareewi said:

Not sure.

Gen1 has type 1 connector max charge 10A.  Gen2 has type 2 connector max charge 16A.  Gen1 also charges the 12V battery when on charge but the gen2 doesn't seem to. Gen2 can also limit charging to 8A.  But at the end of the day the gen2 might still use the same basic 3.6kW charging tech as the gen1.

To charge even the 12V Battery when on charge seems like an advantage, to me. Or am I misstaken?

From what I read on Priuschat, I believe the Gen2 PHV charges the 12v after it's finished charging the traction Battery and is still plugged in, whereas the Gen1 charges both at the same time. Earlier this year I left my car for an extended period of time without using it (but still plugged in) and had no issues with the 12v so I'm pretty sure it charges it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1