Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius PHEV 2015 (gen1) / VS / Prius PHEV 2017 (gen 2) ?

HSDish

1 hour ago, Ten Ninety said:

From what I read on Priuschat, I believe the Gen2 PHV charges the 12v after it's finished charging the traction battery and is still plugged in, whereas the Gen1 charges both at the same time. Earlier this year I left my car for an extended period of time without using it (but still plugged in) and had no issues with the 12v so I'm pretty sure it charges it.

Thanks.

Sounds nice.

• 2 months later...

Now we have had about -15 to -5 C degrees for more than one week, here at my place in Sweden (and it seems to be that cold for at least ten days more) and my gen 1 Plug In won't drive barely anything on socket charged, pure electric EV mode, the first 10 km. Was'nt that coold for so long peroid last year so I did'nt noticed 

Can gen 2 be driven on pure EV direct from start even at those low temeratures ?

To generate heat the gen1 has to use the ICE so at -15 perhaps that is why it won't do EV. The prius needs to warm itself up.

The gen2 has the heat pump to generate heat. Can you test drive a gen2 where you are?  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, johalareewi said:

To generate heat the gen1 has to use the ICE so at -15 perhaps that is why it won't do EV. The prius needs to warm itself up.

The gen2 has the heat pump to generate heat. Can you test drive a gen2 where you are?  

Thanks!

The temperature has been -15 to -10 at nights and -7 to -5 at days for more than a week now and it seems to be like that at least for 10 more nights/days .

I 'll try to test a used 2018 gen2 at my local dealer this wednesday (tested a 2017 gen 2 last april) but...

the problem is that, that car (used one at my local dealer) is parked indoors so it wont be that cold from start. I'll ask my dealer if they can park the car outside for some hours before I testdrive.

Could not test drive that used prius plug in 2018 at my local Toyota today cause the 12V Battery was totaly empty 😞

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ten Ninety said:

From what I read on Priuschat, I believe the Gen2 PHV charges the 12v after it's finished charging the traction battery and is still plugged in, whereas the Gen1 charges both at the same time. Earlier this year I left my car for an extended period of time without using it (but still plugged in) and had no issues with the 12v so I'm pretty sure it charges it.

Does this means that it will draw/pull current/power from socket/charger if you leave the cable cable pluged in, to charge the 12v Battery, even since the traction batter is fully charged and the green charging light/lamp/indicator is unlit?

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2020 at 1:06 PM, Ten Ninety said:

Just resurrecting this to correct my post above.

Apologies, I was wrong - the Gen2 PHV does not charge the 12v even when plugged in to the wall. Clearly I didn't leave the car as long as I'd thought before, or maybe the battery's just a bit older now, but having left the thing plugged in to the wall but unused for several weeks, the 12v was then unable to start the car.

It had enough power to open the doors and do all the usual clunking stuff but couldn't get to Ready. I'm sure this wasn't helped by the utterly stupid unturnoffable auto headlights blazing on as soon as I pushed Start, because the garage is just dim enough for their equally stupid hair-trigger sensor even in daylight.

I get that the traction Battery circuit is a totally different thing from the 12v but it's disappointing that it was beyond the wit of Toyota's engineers to siphon off a little of the juice going in from the mains to top up the 12v. Especially as it appears the Gen1 PHV did exactly this.

• Thanks 2

Best solution for people who leave their cars for long periods of time without use are these solar panels fitted to the windows and connected to the lighter, obd 2 port or directly to the 12v Battery. My neighbour has one fitted to his car at the rear window and connected to the obd port, he leaves his car for months 6+ at a time and when he returns the car functions as been driven on motorways every day👍 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both "Ten Ninety" and "Tony HSD".

What a pitty , that  "the Gen2 PHV does not charge the 12v even when plugged in to the wall".

Srange that Toyota missed that from gen 1.

We dont use to leave our cars for long periods of time without use, but it sounds interesting with that solar panels

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Refueled our Prius 2018 Plug In full today 22-02-12.
Haven't refueled it since 21-10-19 so we have driven it 1929 km (about 1198 miles I think) since the last tank and it has been now during the "winter months" with some, if not so many, minus degrees here as we live. It was actually a week with -10C at night and -3/4 during the day. Many days and nights with between 0-5 C..

Then our "fuelioapp" measured at the pump shows that the car has drawn 1.65 L/100km (171.2UK mpg I think) on average and that in mixed driving. Very rarely over 110 km/h.
I think it's really good.
The app says it cost us 0.31 SEK/km ( 0.02 GBP / 0.62 miles I think) and then I refueled 95 octane for 18.99 SEK/l today.

The car's computer says that we drove 69% on electricity during this stretch and then we have not paid anything out of our own pocket ("free" public charging points) for the electricity.

• Like 2

That’s amazing Kenth. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

That’s amazing Kenth. Thanks for sharing.

We are quite gently drivers , though 😀

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Impressive numbers 👌🏁🔋

We got an (at least fo far) "free" public charger on our street, can see it from our window, and several more in our little town and... the Prius are obviously quite effective in HV mode to

• Like 1