Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

69 plate Aygo X play Clutch burning smell

Gazza55

We have a 69 plate pre reg only done 200 miles and picked it up with 5 miles on the clock  last week from a Toyota dealer. We get a clutch burning smell when setting off on inclines or in stop start traffic with and  revs are less than 2500 rpm, will this smell disappear with use as the clutch beds down. Never had this in any other car but did notice it in a 1700 mile Aygo 69 plate demo but dealer put it down to abuse as its a service car too. Just hope this face lift model doesn't have the old clutch issues that plagued the previous model. 

• 8 months later...

I have a 20 plate aygo and it burns the clutch no matter how light I pull away or go up an incline ... hopefully it will last the three years I’ve got car for then someone else can have the problem , 

Might just need the freeplay on the clutch cable adjusting, get it checked at Toyota dealer.

2 hours ago, Banjogutbuster said:

I have a 20 plate aygo and it burns the clutch no matter how light I pull away or go up an incline ... hopefully it will last the three years I’ve got car for then someone else can have the problem , 

Are you on some sort of contract? Could it be you could be deemed you have abused the car if returned with a burnt clutch but not notified it as a problem to whoever the contract says you must do.

• 2 weeks later...

69 plate Aygo owner here. I took it back to the dealer within the first couple of weeks with the same problem, but was told it would get better.

Now I've got about 9,000 miles on the clock and whilst it might be marginally better, it's still pretty bad. Even reversing it on to the very slightly uphill driveway creates a smell and it's not that I'm over-revving.

With any other car I've driven, I might smell the clutch on a rare occurrence if I've overworked it, but it's practically a daily occurrence with the Aygo.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:13 PM, Gazza55 said:

Just hope this face lift model doesn't have the old clutch issues that plagued the previous model. 

The previous model's clutch issues were largely fixed from 2009 by Toyota fitting the larger diameter clutch from the Yaris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The previous model's clutch issues were largely fixed from 2009 by Toyota fitting the larger diameter clutch from the Yaris.

+1

The 180mm clutch on my 2008 model failed after 3 years in 2011, was replaced by the 190mm one and is still fine now 9 years later.

@slug56

The clutch and accelerator pedals are imprecise and offer little feedback. Even for a an experienced driver used to driving Aygos and wearing soft-soled shoes, I agree that certain situations such as reversing uphill are rather hard. That is no wonder given that reversing already feels special on flat grounds.

You cannot make slow maneuvers such as parking with the clutch only, there is so little torque that you always have to give some gas. But it takes huge skils to adjust precisely between not enough and too much gas.

I have driven all types and all generations of vehicles, and the commands of the Aygo do not make it the most friendly and easy to use. I regularly drive a very long Renault Mascott with no visibility backwards and it is easier to drive in town than an Aygo.

I now have a 2020 Aygo and there is a little more torque, which makes it easier to drive.

@FROSTYBALLS

Clutch problems were partly fixed. They have gone from very frequent to more rare, but still occured on vehicles built after 2009!

The latest version of the Aygo mk1 (second facelift) is concerned. And so does the Aygo mk2!

If you check ads for second-hand Aygos, many have had their clutch replaced at low mileages. This is not what I would call 'normal'. My brothers and I learnt to drive on an AX which still had its original clutch at 125 000 miles. It is a shame that Toyota jeopardize their reputation to save money on such an essential part, on a car supposed to be driven in town. Especially because apart from that, it is a very nice car!!!

Well I did say largely fixed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links