Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV4 stability firmware upgrade

Tomfromfife

Afer the 2019 RAV4 failing the moose test, Toyota have a firmware upgrade to improve the stability.

The upgrade should be available to owners in Q2 of 2020 but has to be requested by the owner.

This appears to be a US test. Does anyone know if the upgrade will be available in the U.K.?

The article.....

That’s much better.

Back in September, the all-new Toyota RAV4 – redesigned for the 2019 model year – failed Teknikens Värld's “Moose Test.” The publication noted the Toyota exhibited “dangerous behavior” because the vehicle’s electronic stability control was engaging very late. Toyota fixed the system’s late engagement through a software update. Teknikens Värld retested the RAV4 with the software update, and it now earns a passing grade from the publication.

Toyota recalibrated the RAV4’s Vehicle Stability Control system, which now allows for much more braking from the system, keeping the crossover planted through the evasive maneuver test. The software update was the only change Toyota made to the vehicle. Teknikens Varld said the Toyota passed the test at 45 miles per hour (72 kilometers per hour). That’s better than the top speed it could reach before the update. Before, at 42 mph (68 kph), both the gas-powered and hybrid models, loaded to the manufacturer’s test limit, leaned up onto the outer two wheels through the test.

The improvement is welcomed. Safety is at the front of a lot of shoppers’ minds when looking for a new vehicle, and an unstable crossover won’t win them over. Thankfully, Toyota is making the software update available during the second quarter of 2020; however, customers will need to request it. There’s no recall to update new RAV4s already in the hands of customers, and it won’t be applied during regular servicing.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 11:25 PM, Tomfromfife said:

This appears to be a US test.

Nope, the test is European. The guys are nordics and they're testing this time in Spain thanks to the better weather conditions. I'd bet the VSC update will be available to all regions but only based on request as I saw in some other places.

• Like 1

Mine's passed 8,000 (12,900 km) miles now so I'll be getting the first service in a couple of months.  I'll ask about this, plus the Android Auto and Map orientation fix then, and probably get my summer tyres back on at the same time.

If they can to the Android upgrade at the same time it's supposed to be cheaper.

• Like 1

I was told carplay will be £50 if done when the car is in for a service, £150 if not.

• Like 1

Oh I had my first service the other week, I forgot to ask about the map orientation doh!!!!, engine definitely sounds better for the oil change. I am used to other brands where they do updates during services automatically.

I don't know what the service cost, its lease covered, but I bet it wasn't cheap for basically an oil change and valet. Courtesy car was nice though, new Corolla which felt very familiar to the RAV as interior is largely the same, although it had no usb sockets and only one power socket, in the armrest which is a right pain for hooking up a TomTom. Also courtesy car was manual which I very rarely drive now, changing gear yourself.. it felt so crude and old fashioned!

3 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

...Also courtesy car was manual which I very rarely drive now, changing gear yourself.. it felt so crude and old fashioned!

I've got my dealer trained to give me at least an MMT or automatic, but usually they give me a Hybrid, occasionally even a Lexus Hybrid.

Although if it's just the basic service or something minor, I normally go to the hotel next door and have a nice breakfast, and it's normally almost ready by the time I get back.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Called Toyota Canada today: No VSC 2.0 available, so it appears Toyota is only making VSC 2.0 (moose test passing) update available for european customers... Canada is full of Caribou, deer, moose, cows and Bison...and the USA has their share of cows, and deer etc.. seems crazy that toyota would not roll this VSC update worldwide,, how could making a SUV safer during emergency maneuvers not be their top priority... Shame on Toyota being more concerned about their costs than their customer's safety. 

These type of safety improving updates should be installed automatically when the vehicle is in for service without customers needing to request them...

55 minutes ago, operaguy said:

Called Toyota Canada today: No VSC 2.0 available, so it appears Toyota is only making VSC 2.0 (moose test passing) update available for european customers... Canada is full of Caribou, deer, moose, cows and Bison...and the USA has their share of cows, and deer etc.. seems crazy that toyota would not roll this VSC update worldwide,, how could making a SUV safer during emergency maneuvers not be their top priority... Shame on Toyota being more concerned about their costs than their customer's safety. 

These type of safety improving updates should be installed automatically when the vehicle is in for service without customers needing to request them...

Toyota Owners Club is UK based and not associated with Toyota, so Toyota Canada or Toyota US won't see this.

8 hours ago, operaguy said:

Very different markets with very different driving habits and expectations so whilst there are visual similarities underneath they vary a lot and the suspension, abs & vsc systems are different between North American, European, Russian ( + others ) markets 

The assumption that the car is inherently safer is not proven by making changes that address one specific test condition. Had the car been prone to rolling over as did a certain Mercedes model the argument would have been stronger. Personally I dislike the tendency to think of inbuilt understeer as the ultimate solution to poor driving technique and give Toyota top marks for using the rear axle motor to give cornering control on the accelerator pedal, albeit fairly gentle.