Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Auris service indicator

Simonh0407

Hi guys, I’m after information about the mileage reading alongside the spanner symbol that appears on the instrument cluster central display when ignition is switched on please.

I believe mine was reset between services as the reading currently shows just over 12000 miles but according to the service history data that seems odd, it was serviced about 5000 miles ago, before I bought it.

Does the figure count down from reset or count up as it’s driven?

By that I mean if the service interval is 12500 does it revert to that on reset and decrease inline with miles driven?

Or is it the opposite way around, resets to 0 and counts miles driven since the last service?

There is something odd about mine so I have one more question relating to this should the first version (count down from 12500 after reset) be the right one.

Can the reset figure of 12500 be manipulated?

According to figures in the advertisement for the car my service timer was reset exactly 100 miles before they offered it for sale.

So, just to be clear on the last question can you reset the timer to 12400 instead of 12500?

Thanks guys.

The service interval for the BMW engined diesels is 1 year or 12,500 miles. However the software/sensors may indicate that servicing is due sooner. See the following extract from a previous topic:

"1.6 1WW & 2.0 2WW BMW diesel engines are up to 12 month / 12500 miles but they are fitted with software and sensors that monitor driving habits and ash content in the engine oil and can drop the schedule as low as 5000 miles if required."

Thanks Frostyballs, I get that given the possibility that sensors reading driving style, dpf readings and possibly other things may affect servicing requirements.

I’m trying to get straight in my head whether or not the selling dealer may have reset the timer but to 12400 instead of 12500?

If optimal driving (unlikely) was the norm then I would expect the timer to read around 7000 if it is counting down miles to next service.

Mine is reading almost a full service interval value after over 5000 miles since last service if the counting down from 12500 version of my question is the correct operation.

Either way there seems something odd to me.

Hope that makes some sense?

Probably should have mentioned that for legal reasons the car is not being used and hasn’t been for some weeks.

Otherwise I would be able to check this out myself.