Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DRCC(RSA)

Chippy01

What exactly does the DRCC(RSA) setting do?

I used both the adaptive cruise setting and the standard cruise setting regularly in my commute to work.
Recently, I went through the settings menu, and saw that the setting for DRCC(RSA) was in the off position. I tapped OK and turned it on.
Apart from putting a green box outline around the speed limit sign on the dash, and turning the speed setting into a white box with black numbering when tapping down the speed setting, it doesn't seem to do anything else, that I can see or sense in any shape or form.

So, am I missing something? What does that setting do?

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (Road Sign Assist).

I don't know why they would be grouped together nor why they would be set to off in the settings. DRCC is the default cruise control option so it sounds like someone turned it off for you.

• Like 1

I've seen those tutorials before.

The thing is, it appears to make no difference to the adaptive cruise operation, whether it is switched on or not.
I've even tried turning it on and off while actually using the cruise, but it appears to make no difference to the cruise operation, except for the two items shown on the dash as I explained in my opening post.

Try it yourself in your own car and see if you notice any difference, because I can't notice any difference with mine.

Does it activate the long press on the CC +/- that adjusts the CC speed setting to the RSA detected speed?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ian.S said:

Does it activate the long press on the CC +/- that adjusts the CC speed setting to the RSA detected speed?

I think you are asking about the standard setting cruise (long press on the CC switch for constant speed cruise control)

No. There is no difference with the standard cruise setting while in use, or any change in the icons on the dashboard.

Short press to activate the adaptive cruise, and it works as it should - whether the DRCC(RSA) setting is either on or off.
When the DRCC(RSA) setting is turned on, I get a green box outline around the speed limit sign on the dash, and the speed setting indicator changes to a white box with black numbering when tapping down the speed. The white box disappears and it will revert back to it's normal display when the set speed has been reached.
Other than those two items mentioned, I don't know what it's supposed to do or activate.

When using the DRCC and you pass a speed limit sign for a lower/higher speed limit than you are travelling at you can long press the DRCC +/- buttons to set the DRCC to that speed limit automatically. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:53 PM, Ian.S said:

When using the DRCC and you pass a speed limit sign for a lower/higher speed limit than you are travelling at you can long press the DRCC +/- buttons to set the DRCC to that speed limit automatically. 

Thanks Ian.S.
On my way to work this morning I tried what you posted, and it did as you said.
Turning the DRCC(RSA) switch on or off has no effect to how the cruise works.
Turning it on just links the already activated RSA to the DRCC, for 'ease' of setting the cruise speed to the posted speed limit.
Seems a bit of a pointless addition really, especially if the RSA reads the speed limit signs wrongly (as it has sometimes done with other posters, and once or twice on my usual route)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2020 at 7:51 PM, Chippy01 said:

Thanks Ian.S.
On my way to work this morning I tried what you posted, and it did as you said.
Turning the DRCC(RSA) switch on or off has no effect to how the cruise works.
Turning it on just links the already activated RSA to the DRCC, for 'ease' of setting the cruise speed to the posted speed limit.
Seems a bit of a pointless addition really, especially if the RSA reads the speed limit signs wrongly (as it has sometimes done with other posters, and once or twice on my usual route)

Thank you for clearing that up for me - I thought I had seen this feature when test driving a RAV4 before buying, but couldn’t get my new car to do it.

For me it is very useful.

/J

Me too.  Mine had also been off by default March 2020. I noticed that when the car exceeded the set speed, not the signed limit, there was a warning beeper. 

As for a long press to set the speed to the signed speed I don't think I will use it. 

If doing 60 aporoaching a 30 zone the last thing I want to do is letting the car slam the anchors on with the lower limit.  What I do is simply disengage ACC well before the zone and re-engage at the proper speed. 

On 2/5/2022 at 1:35 PM, Roy124 said:

Me too.  Mine had also been off by default March 2020. I noticed that when the car exceeded the set speed, not the signed limit, there was a warning beeper. 

As for a long press to set the speed to the signed speed I don't think I will use it. 

If doing 60 aporoaching a 30 zone the last thing I want to do is letting the car slam the anchors on with the lower limit.  What I do is simply disengage ACC well before the zone and re-engage at the proper speed. 

It is useful when you leave the 30 limit with a single press taking you to 60.

I had a play with this in my Mk4 Yaris and so far it seems buggy AF.

At first it worked as it is supposed to, i.e. your set speed is not the speed limit, so hold the thing to jump to the speed limit and the green box goes away.

However, it started doing weird stuff - sometimes, the speed limit will match what it's set and it will STILL show the green box. When you then hold down the button to set it, it jumps to some random speed - I was on the A10 in the weekend where it goes to 40mph, and switched the CC on to 40, but it still had the green box, so I held it to see what would happen and it set the speed to 25mph and slowed quite abruptly! (I winced at how how high it revved up the ICE, using it as engine braking!!)

After that the green box was just on permanently even if the speeds were matching, and it seemed random whether holding it would increase/decrease the speed by 5mph increments, jump to the recognized speed limit, or jump to some random speed, until I turned the CC off and on again to reset it.

It seems to randomly do this now and then, not found a pattern as I've had it in urban areas as well as A-roads. The good ol' national speed limit sign seems to just reset it tho'.

I tried it at the weekend and I think the logic is if you are below the detected speed limit, press and hold "up" and if above press and hold "down". If you press and hold "down" when you actually are below the speed (or probably at the speed) then it will quickly decrease.

Likewise, pressing and holding up when you are already at or above, rapidly increases...which I found out on a 60 limit when I was at 62 and wanted to set to 60 and before I knew it set speed was 105 MPH and with everything in sport it took off like anything .....oooppps.

Bit daft, but I think like all the driver aids, they are just that, aids not a replacement for the driver so I kind of get the logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trashman that sounds remarkably useless as a function.  Without knowing anything about it I press UP or DOWN until reach my desired speed, usually a number of presses rather than press and hold. Approaching a lower limit I will decrement the set speed in 5 mph steps; the speed bleeds off slowly.  If I go from cruising at 60 and then set 30 the anchors go on. 

Now if it was a one selection option I could understand : select On, enter higher zone, car accelerates to new zone speed.

Going to a slower zone I would prefer it to reduce speed to enter the zone at the right speed.  In other words behave as a good driver will behave. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Trashman that sounds remarkably useless as a function.  Without knowing anything about it I press UP or DOWN until reach my desired speed, usually a number of presses rather than press and hold. Approaching a lower limit I will decrement the set speed in 5 mph steps; the speed bleeds off slowly.  If I go from cruising at 60 and then set 30 the anchors go on. 

Now if it was a one selection option I could understand : select On, enter higher zone, car accelerates to new zone speed.

Going to a slower zone I would prefer it to reduce speed to enter the zone at the right speed.  In other words behave as a good driver will behave. 

yep - hence why I said I kinda get the logic. But also its an aid, but the downside is you need to use it intelligently - it wont adjust ahead of time on speed limit changing to lower and if the driver waits until passing the sign to use the semi-auto aid, technically they are breaking the law....plus the car accelerates/decelerates a lot more than a driver using anticipation. 

Of use if you're felling lazy and using DRCC on open roads/dual carriageways but for roads where speed limit changes it is limited.

I like DRCC, but I can drive more smoothly, economically and safely with anticipation. I guess the RSA link is there, if you choose to use it.

I just use RSA to confirm speed limits as there is one road that was 60 but is actually 50 with infrequent reminders. The camera spots the 50.  Of course it can be wrong lots of times too. 

I've just stopped using it completely as I don't find it useful at all. I prefer using my Mk1 Brain to decide what the limit is, and manually cancel the CC, let the car decelerate to the new limit in good time, then re-engage the CC at the new speed (Or accelerate to the new speed limit and just Set the CC to the new limit).

That workflow works much better for me and keeps everything nice and smooth, rather than the abrupt acceleration/braking the car tends to do when trying to match suddenly changed speed! I do wonder why they made it so harsh - I tend to be in Eco mode most of the time and would have thought that would at least blunt the CC's acceleration a bit, if not the braking!

• Like 2

Cyker, agree, I am just surprised that they need 4 buttons to do the job. 

Just tried it today, never knew it existed, but it taxes my brain too much

Exit 30 - press ++++++ may be one or two more

Or

Edit 30 - press + thinks keep pressing - 60 or 70

But it's assuming I want to travel at Max. 

I don't use the +/- buttons much either. I only use the CC to hold my target speed once I've got it where I want it. The only time I use them is to fine tune the speed if I've initially locked it a couple of mph away from what I really wanted.

• Like 1

Played again yesterday...if you are at the posted / displayed speed, if you press and hold either up or down, it will increase or decrease quickly. So only press and hold the up or down indicated direction (box with the square and arrow up or down) otherwise you'll rapidly increase or decrease speed. I guess it can't know what your intention was, but logically I would prefer rapid increase/decrease was disabled if DRCC with RSA was enabled.

Reinforces what I said what I said earlier...its a driver assist not replacement or intelligent/autonomous. But even allowing for that, the logic is flawed.

Slightly different but i love the speed limiter on the MK4 Yaris!

Just set the speed in a speed camera zone and push the pedal all the way down and it just eases off by itself and holds the speed. One less thing to worry about in speed camera zones.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mikw said:

Slightly different but i love the speed limiter on the MK4 Yaris!

Just set the speed in a speed camera zone and push the pedal all the way down and it just eases off by itself and holds the speed. One less thing to worry about in speed camera zones.

Like London where you can concentrate on threading the needle or Bournemouth with its cameras. 

• Like 1