Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking sensors

Rajat

Hi

firstly hello to all in the Rav4 club. I have just acquired a 2016 model Rav4 hybrid BE+. The first thing that I noticed was that the parking sensors (both front and back) seems to be activated only around 60-70cm from the obstruction and the distance from a single bar(intermittent beep) to fully solid sensor (continuous beep) is extremely short. I think this is too short of a distance to be relying on sensors when doing tight parking. The dealers (Steven Eagell) who sold me the car don’t think this is abnormal. However the Rav4 manual clearly states that the sensor gets first activated 1.5M from obstruction. Any comments or suggestions on this and how can i take this forward as I am not happy about it.

TIA

raj

If they are Toyota dealer fitted sensors and they are different from what the manual states, I'd go back to the dealer and have the settings changed.  I suppose the previous owner may have had them set like that, as that's what they may have preferred.

Should be a easy fix, as long as they can find the sensors control box.  Just don't let the dealer palm you off after you have spent all that money buying a car from them.

Indeed, they are manufacturer fitted sensors. I am trying to book it in with the services team as the sales team who sold me the car have washed their hands off saying that just book it in and we will have a look. I know I am buying a used cars which may have faults but it doesn’t feel nice to have been sold something faulty after not agreeing to negotiate much on the price.

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity ?. They can be adjusted by yourself between 'far' and 'near' - the previous owner may have changed the default settings. This isn't mentioned in the manual in the section about the parking sensors but is under 'customisable features' which is on page 567 on the electronic copy of the manual that I have. It is very easy to sort if you follow the manual as you might find it hard to find the setting  !. From memory on the navigation display you press the 'Setup' button and then select 'vehicle'.

Best of luck ! 

Thanks for this invaluable suggestion as it does seem to have made some difference. But I still think that the sensitivity is no where near what is mentioned in the manual. Now the distance when it starts beeping is just under 1 meter (opposed to 1.5m as claimed in the handbook)