Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Stone Chipped

Perfection

Our hybrid Auris windscreen has been chipped by a large stone inflicted by a lorry on the motorway.

The size of the crack/chipped is about 10mm shattered within the wiper swipe area. I would wanted a replacement to be honest, as it is very prominent area.

Anyone experienced similar size and area damaged? Is this repairable or MOT failure?

Could Autoglass repair or replace ? Could they remove the rain sensors and radio antenna or does if need to go back to Toyota?

Any response is appreciated as we have not replaced or repair windscreen before.

That would be a replacement IMO.

Have you got windscreen damage on your car insurance policy?  My last 2 cars I had to claim stone chip damage, fixed both times but was given an option for replace. I was happy just paying a £10 repair excess rather than a £100 replace excess. Man on a galloping horse cant see the cip repair, takes me a while to focus onto it.

Depends where within the swept area the chip is. Have a look at the video on the Autoglass website - https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repair-and-replacement/windscreen-repair/

Wouldn't  have thought the sensors and aerial would be an issue, but check with them when booking.

The car has windscreen cover. But will need to check in the excess for a replacement.

I will avoid repairing it as it is too big chipped and will be very visible spot by the driver. Just near the forehead position. It is between zone A & B.

I will give Toyota dealer a call to see if they do replacement or had to go to Autoglass.

Does your insurance stipulate who you must use for windscreen repair/replacement.?

I just checked the insurance details. To use the insurance approved repairer, with excess of £75 for replacement. They will pay up to £100 if I use other repairer.

So this doesn't leave me with any choice. Will have to hope their approved repairer can do a good job of it.

I had a windscreen replaced on my last Prius by Autoglass (my insurer's approved supplier), and they did a superb job.

I had been worried, because the Prius had a Head Up Display and the Safety Systems that had a housing by the rear view mirror containing a camera and some sensors.  The insurance stipulates that on cars with these safely systems a recalibration is required.  Because of all this, my dealer would have charged over £600, but like your insurance my excess would have been £75 using Autoglass.  I say would have been, because my crack was smaller to start with, and they did a repair with a £10 excess.  Months later, it turned into a crack almost the width of the screen, and Autoglass had a guarantee with the crack repair that paid for the whole job.

Because of the safely systems recalibration requirement, I had to visit an Autoglass depot about 30 miles away, but they did the whole job on site, and used a kosher Toyota branded screen.

Since your Auris appears to be a 2014 model, you won't have to worry about the calibration, and in the case of Autoglass they would probably come to you home or place of work to do it.

We've had a couple of Land Rover Discovery windscreens at work replaced by Autoglass and could not fault them. Bear in mind that those screens come with a plethora of sensors and cameras, cost nearly £2k to buy from a dealer, and are a two-person job to fit due to the size and weight.

13 hours ago, Perfection said:

I just checked the insurance details. To use the insurance approved repairer, with excess of £75 for replacement. They will pay up to £100 if I use other repairer.

So this doesn't leave me with any choice. Will have to hope their approved repairer can do a good job of it.

Doesn’t your policy state who will be used?