Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration at 2000rpm - again and again

ghsaunders40

It seems they are just like that, it has a small engine, i would not keep the rpm's below 2k for it anyway while driving.

If you use search, you will find plenty of topics like that.

Check last post in 

From Toyota UK today

"I would like to take this opportunity to explain that in our experience, typical vibration at 2000 rpm in 3 cylinder engine is not perceived to be an issue or fault and would be considered to be a characteristic."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I get this in my 1.0ltr, too.  Not a nice sound/vibration, but easily driven around.  To be honest, I find the gearing/economy not really affected by changing up later to avoid the rumble.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late joining this conversation but would like to add that I spent a lot of time googling this when I first bought my IQ. I came across 2 or 3 people that said that a clutch replacement resolves the vibration. I decided not to bother with the expense and just changed the way I drove when driving around urban roads. 

Same here , though if u speed up progressively , it ain't that much of a problem. I think it is due to small engine and AC units 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

New to the forum, so hope this post below fits in well with the discussion.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 2011 1.0L.

I'd like to add more information for others to see if it's the same problem: 

- If keeping the revs low and being careful footed on the accelerator, moving up slowly through the gears, the iQ doesn't vibrate. This seems to also be the most economical way of driving too, with my MPG figures always above 50. After all, that's why you buy an iQ.

- If keeping the revs high and being heavy footed on the accelerator, moving up quickly through the gears, again, the iQ doesn't vibrate. This is obviously the least economical, and the MPG figures are around 20-30. Which makes me think I could have bought any other car.

- If driving "normally", like you would with any other car (unfortunately), i.e. steady revs and medium footed on the accelerator. For example whilst driving around town, you might not constantly change down a gear if you slow down slightly, and you may speed up slightly in the same gear then the IQ DOES vibrate. This happens if putting load around the 1500-2000rpm area, as others have said. It happens in all gears.

To give an example of the problem, let's say you are driving along an A road in 5th gear, the traffic lights at the empty junction ahead are red, so you release the accelerator and let the car cruise preparing to slow down, but suddenly the lights turn green meaning you no longer need to slow down or apply the brake. In this time the revs have slightly dropped to just below 2000rpm, but not so significantly you'd need to change down a gear and your speed is still high enough for 5th gear. You apply some more gas, and the iQ vibrates so hard it sounds like the doors will fall off. It vibrates so heavily the interior plastic manta-ray shakes, and as many others have noted, the rear view mirror shakes so much it becomes a blur. It's loud, uncomfortable, embarrassing if carrying passengers, and makes it incredibly hard to enjoy the car. This last point I cannot overstate enough. 

I'd like to add that having tried a few other forum member's solutions or quick fixes, none of them have worked so far. V-Power fuel made no difference. I've tried Redex to no avail. I've fitted a new air filter, nothing changed. I've performed a full oil change with Castrol Magnatec, nothing changed. I'm going to change the spark plugs in a few days to brand new Denso Iridiums, so will update you if anything happens. 

In an attempt to summarise other's comments (perhaps there's a way of making an iQ vibration think-tank forum post?), I'm gathering that the iQ gets this problem after a few years of driving it around. Please correct the following if wrong:

For some, it was something to do with the EGR, I can't seem to determine what exactly as many have said different things. A Toyota recall sorted this problem? For others it's the clutch, but it seems Toyota didn't originally know or anticipate the clutch problem, but then later sent out rather secretive letters to Toyota dealers warning them of the problem, but not customers? All I can gather is that replacing something to do with the EGR, or replacing the clutch, which wears down to the point of vibration (both to surprising cost for such a small car) are the only real and actual fixes. Could anyone confirm?

Having bought the iQ from an independent garage a few weeks ago, I'm really disappointed to discover this problem, having not spotted it on my test drive. I'm covered with a third-party warranty from Warranty Assist, but unsure they'll be able to cover the costs of either an EGR or clutch replacement - both of which seem to be many hundreds of pounds.

Does anyone have any advice from overcoming this notorious iQ experience?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wililiams said:

but then later sent out rather secretive letters to Toyota dealers

These wouldn't be 'secretive letters' but something like a service bulletin, which highlights issues that customers may report. No different to any other car manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Same issue here but... a heat shield was rubbing against the plastic fueltank shield. It reduces some vibrating noise after i resolved it.

Greatings from Holland,

Gerjon

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, MikewithanIQ said:

From Toyota UK today

"I would like to take this opportunity to explain that in our experience, typical vibration at 2000 rpm in 3 cylinder engine is not perceived to be an issue or fault and would be considered to be a characteristic."

Dear Mike, interesting and any chance you have a formal reply from Toyota UK that you can share?

• 3 months later...

I had the old style Aygo manual with the one litre engine which has the same, I believe, three cylinder engine the IQ and there was so sign of the 2000rpm vibration that I get on my new to me one litre manual IQ.

Hi all i know this is an old thread but recently been replied to.  I have 2 1.0 Toyota IQ's and 2 of them Ive personally replaced the clutches on due to vibrations at 2000rpm,

The first i done at 72k miles which vibrated quite bad and had a snapped clutch plate spring

The second on 38k miles started vibrating slightly and this had 2 of the plate springs loose but not cracked.

After changing them the vibrations are gone and they are so nice to drive again.
I used Aisin KT-314R clutch kits which are the same as the original so will probably happen again after 30 - 40k

I also have a 1.3 IQ which has a very annoying whine at 50mph which i need help with, Will start a new post for that.

If i can help in any way with any questions Pm me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 7:27 PM, stemon said:

Hi all i know this is an old thread but recently been replied to.  I have 2 1.0 Toyota IQ's and 2 of them Ive personally replaced the clutches on due to vibrations at 2000rpm,

The first i done at 72k miles which vibrated quite bad and had a snapped clutch plate spring

The second on 38k miles started vibrating slightly and this had 2 of the plate springs loose but not cracked.

After changing them the vibrations are gone and they are so nice to drive again.
I used Aisin KT-314R clutch kits which are the same as the original so will probably happen again after 30 - 40k

I also have a 1.3 IQ which has a very annoying whine at 50mph which i need help with, Will start a new post for that.

If i can help in any way with any questions Pm me.

So a new clutch will 100% stop the vibration? I bought a 2011 iq with 52k and the vibration issue is present aswell as clutch judder after doing only 600miles from purchase, trying to get the dealer to fund the replacement which as we all know will be an issue but I've had a qoute for £550 and would rather have it sorted sooner rather than later. If new clutch definitely fixes the vibration I'll get it done tomorrow 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sorry for the late reply, Yes a new clutch will 100% fix the problem, For how long i dont yet know but have done about 10k miles on one car and its still perfect.

£550 seems cheap as i was getting quotes over £700+ before doing it myself.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, Kingy said:

Hello all

i have recently purchased a 09 IQ, 45000 miles, 1.0 litre manual.

First of all i love the car, but i get a insane vibration underload in any gear between 1500-2000rpm has any one else had this problem?

also i would like to change the LEDs in the dash etc does anyone know how to do this or where to get it done?

Thank you in advance

Richard 

Hi Richard, I've got the same 2009 model with 45000 miles. I've had it since 2012. It also vibrates between 1500-2000 RPM recently, I tried changing to higher octane however no change. It hates cold weather. It had it's major mid life service.(All belts changed, plugs, radiator and brakes fluid changed) the problem wasn't picked up even though they picked and dropped off the car. I'm planning to keep the car until its uneconomical to drive, hopefully for another 5 years. I'm wondering if anyone had their cars off the road due to our problems. 

My wife's 'shopping trolley' has the same issue as everyone else. We learnt to adapt how we drive.

Not sure if relevant but I put a 500ml bottle of Toyota High Quality Petrol Fuel System Cleaner in the tank some time ago. What a difference it made! held the high gears longer and no vibration/droning. Not sure if it cleaned the fuel system or not but made a quieter drive!

Certainly worth a try?

• Thanks 1

Hi Richard, I've got the same 2009 model with 45000 miles. It also vibrates between 1500-2000 RPM, I tried changing to higher octane however no change. It hates cold weather. It had it's major mid life service.(All belts changed, plugs, radiator and brakes fluid changed) the problem wasn't picked up even though they picked and dropped off the car. I'm planning to keep the car until its uneconomical to drive, hopefully for another 5 years. I'm wondering if anyone had their cars off the road due to our problems. 

Thanks Jessjev, I tend not go for gimmicks, however I'll give it a go. Are there any alternatives other than the Toyota brand? 

I believe the root cause of the vibration is one or more cracked clutch springs (that's why a replacement clutch resolves the problem)

On 3/24/2021 at 8:23 PM, John George Brewster said:

Thanks Jessjev, I tend not go for gimmicks, however I'll give it a go. Are there any alternatives other than the Toyota brand? 

Fully agree with the 'gimmick' statement, but i had used some bad fuel from a small village garage and had noticed it was quite rough when running. The local Toyota garage suggested this, and i must say it sorted it out. Cant comment on other brands as i never used anything else.

My main point was the fact that i had noticed the difference regarding the vibration and the difference it made.

Good luck anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Suffering from the same vibration at 2000rpm for over a year now. Unfortunately I didn't notice it when test driving the car and it's getting me down.

I've just had a quote for £350 to replace the clutch, which seems very good. According to the history, the clutch has never been replaced and my iQ is at 68k. Is there anything else I need to tell the mechanics when booking it in?

Is the quote too low and they're perhaps not aware of the work involved?

Is it simply a clutch replacement or do other parts need replacing too to solve the issue?

I just don't want to instruct on a clutch replacement (because I've seen it mentioned online), pay a lot of money and the vibration still there, so any help or advice is appreciated by anyone that has had the work done.

Thank you

Hi, unfortunately that's one of the characteristics, I've used Redex which had helped. 350 is a very good price, I was quoted 750. However my gear changing is OK and the bite is OK. I found that if its a warm day it isn't that bad. I'm ready for a new car in the future so I'm willing to put up with it's "characteristics". I'm also wondering could it be due to the build up of exhaust in the manifolds and system because of the EGR. Perhaps it needs a good old clean out. What ya all think? 

Hi All, 

I posted about this some time ago - but I had this exact same issue and I had some work done to my car that 'sort of' remedied the issue. 

I had to get a new gearbox as the last owner ragged it and was harsh with the clutch and gear changes. The synchromesh in 2nd and 3rd was gone and trying to change gear was a challenge. When I had this replaced I also decided at the time to get a new clutch too. 

Weirdly after this the vibration had stopped. It's come back since but it's no way near as bad as it used to be. My iQ had done 65,000 miles at the time and mine is an 09 reg. 

• Like 1

Update:

After the quote of £350 I took the iQ straight to QuickLane in Gorton, Manchester. A day's work and the mechanic admitted they'd underquoted the job but we're happy to stick with the agreed price.

New LUK clutch and slave cylinder fitted. Feels like a new car. Vibration at 1500-2000rpm gone. Very happy!

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you're happy. Have many happy miles of driving and let us all know if it persist in the future. 

• 3 weeks later...

600E asked by a toyota dealer here in greece... Jesus..

• 5 months later...

Hi All. I have an IQ 1 ltr 63 plate manual that bought last year with 40k on the clock. It had the dreaded 2000 rpm vibration/resonance. I decided to bite the bullet and go for a new clutch. When I collected the car, the mechanic showed me the old clutch and it appeared fine; no broken springs or sign of anything wrong. Had I wasted my money? Got in the car to drive home. Bliss. No vibration and it has transformed the car. For how long, I don't know, but for now, I'm very happy.

• Like 2